Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy VII available on PSN ... in Japan

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They could always have them closing in on Cloud and then the screen turning black. Everyone who has played the game would know what happened, the others would probably think Cloud got raped though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimid2 View Post
    Um... not exactly...
    Well, I guess that depends on three things:

(1) whether a PSP qualifies as a computer - I don't know whether it does.

(2) whether that activity is essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer - I don't know if it does, even if the PSP does qualify as a computer, you'd actually be changing it to be compatible with an entire range of computers and not a particular computer, and

(3) Does "adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language" include taking a copy and sticking it onto a memory stick? I don't think so. You're not adapting, modifying, converting or translating the computer program itself, you're just making a copy but changing the medium. I think this section requires that you actually make a change to the program itself. You're not. You're just copying.

Also, subsection (b) wouldn't apply because you're not copying it for backup purposes, you'd actually be playing it.

In any event, you may be right, but I couldn't say for certain that you are and therefore I wouldn't want to test the waters on the hope that you are.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 04-12-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Well, I guess that depends on three things:

(1) whether a PSP qualifies as a computer - I don't know whether it does.

(2) whether that activity is essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer - I don't know if it does, even if the PSP does qualify as a computer, you'd actually be changing it to be compatible with an entire range of computers and not a particular computer, and

(3) Does "adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language" include taking a copy and sticking it onto a memory stick? I don't think so. You're not adapting, modifying, converting or translating the computer program itself, you're just making a copy but changing the medium. I think this section requires that you actually make a change to the program itself. You're not. You're just copying.

Also, subsection (b) wouldn't apply because you're not copying it for backup purposes, you'd actually be playing it.

In any event, you may be right, but I couldn't say for certain that you are and therefore I wouldn't want to test the waters on the hope that you are.
    Well, Canadian courts have traditionally been very firmly on the side of the consumer in Copyright cases to date. Copying a song for personal use - even if you ARE NOT the owner of the CD - has been explicitly permitted by Canadian courts (and that decision upheld). So, for instance, I can legally copy my friend's CD onto my iPod for personal use in Canada. Downloading music via P2P for personal use has also been expressly identified as legal in Canada, which has the RIAA screaming blue murder, of course...

There's no reason to worry about how you use your media in Canada currently... Our existing Copyright Act strikes a very fair and reasonable balance between content creators and the public that Copyright laws are ostensibly supposed to serve. If the big media corps like Sony, RCA et al get their talons into the Canadian legal system in the way they've managed to utterly pervert the spirit of Copyright in the US and throughout much of Europe, however, we too will be subject to the same kind of corporate terrorism that the RIAA has been bringing to bear against Americans for the past few years... Which is why it's important to communicate with your MP and make sure they understand where you want their vote to go and what will happen to their chances for re-election if they decide to vote with Big Media... The Conservatives are a minority, and they cannot pass this bill without the aid of sitting Liberal and NDP members, so our voice really, really counts on this one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's a huge difference between your generalized opinion about the Canadian courts and stating that you can or cannot do something with any certainty. At it currently sits, if someone asked me whether they can rip their PS One game to their PSP, my answer would be, "I don't know, so I'd recommend erring on the side of caution".

Copying a song for personal use - even if you ARE NOT the owner of the CD - has been explicitly permitted by Canadian courts (and that decision upheld).
    Well, that's only because the Copyright Act makes a specific exception for copying music onto an audio recording mechanism. That's why you get charged a levy on every blank CD you buy. That levy comes with the benefit of being allowed to copy an original CD onto it (see section 80(1) of the Act).

Also, the issue of mp3 players in Canada are not settled. Our copyright act allows you to make a copy of an original song/disc onto an audio recording mechanism (again, see 80(1)). If something is an audio recording mechanism, you can make a copy from an original onto it. If not, you cannot. The Copyright Board tried to impose a levy onto mp3 players thus indicating that they are audio recording mechanisms and therefore allowing you to copy to them. However, this was brought to the Federal Court of Appeal who decided that this was improper and an mp3 player didn't qualify as an audio recording mechanism. The whole issue is actually up in the air right now - the Federal Court of Appeal made that determination but the Copyright Board had indicated that the issue is still alive (which I don't understand, but whatever).

Downloading music via P2P for personal use has also been expressly identified as legal in Canada, which has the RIAA screaming blue murder, of course...
    What case are you talking about? The only one I can think of is the BMG case. A quick history of this case is that the Federal Court Trial Division found that it was legal but the Federal Court of Appeal overturned this decision on procedural grounds (something about it being innappropriate for the trial judge to make that determination at that point in the proceedings). So, the issue has not actually been determined either way.

At the end of the day, do I think the RCMP are going to break down your door because your ripped a PSX game to your PSP? Of course not... they don't care. Are Sony or Square Enix going to care? Probably not... they're not really out anything. But at the same time, just because the cops and copyright owners aren't going to enforce the law doesn't mean that the activity is legal.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 04-12-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'd prefer if they remade FF9. I love that game. Why FF7 gets more attention than 9 I'll never know.
    Agreed.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, my number one desired remake right now is VI, but it's good enough already; however, I'd love to see it modernized as a "tribute" of sorts. Second, I'd like to see (and hear) VIII modernized, with its unique setting and distinct characters. After that, I suppose V could use an update.

If IX were updated, it would have to stay true to its SD style and tone, and I think that it does that well enough already.

Back on topic... Is the Japanese PSN FFVII 100% accurate to FF7 International, or are there any fixes/updates/changes? Would a US release get a once-over from the grammar department, or are this guy still sick?
    Last edited by NayusDante; 04-12-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

While I'm sure Square could update it, these are emulated PS1 games. The PSN version of Castlevania: SotN, for instance, still has the original translation rather than the PSP retranslation. It's a question of whether Square would want to put the effort in of updating it at all, and I'm guessing they might not since basically all the people who would buy it would probably buy it whatever they do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All this legal talk strikes me as kind of pointless considering that I think it is highly unlikely anyone is going to be fined thousands of dollars or be bound in chains for playing a ten year old game on a PSP! I say, go ahead and do it if you want to that badly. If the legality makes you feel uneasy, I'm sure you have other games on hand you haven't played lately.

Anyway, I think the PC version had all of the "enhancements" from the International version, and most of the glaringly terrible translation errors fixed too. (And I maintain that it was hardly any more technologically backwards than any other contemporary PC release.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Anyway, I think the PC version had all of the "enhancements" from the International version, and most of the glaringly terrible translation errors fixed too. (And I maintain that it was hardly any more technologically backwards than any other contemporary PC release.)
    I had the PC version and can't remember whether this is true. I don't doubt it, I just couldn't get past the ugly-ass graphics to actually play the thing. Actually, that's half-true. The character graphics looked fantastic, nice and clear. The background graphics looked horrendous in comparison. The diffrence wasn't as striking on the Playstation version because the characters looked just as crummy as the backgrounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The diffrence wasn't as striking on the Playstation version because the characters looked just as crummy as the backgrounds.

That's not what you would've said back then. FFVII may not hold up to today's graphics standards, but it looked damn good back in 1997. You have to consider the other RPG's out at the time. FFVII ran circles around its peers.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    That's not what you would've said back then. FFVII may not hold up to today's graphics standards, but it looked damn good back in 1997. You have to consider the other RPG's out at the time. FFVII ran circles around its peers.
    Yeah I know, I know... I remember I got a demo somewhere for it and was simply amazed at the battle graphics. It was a battle and you summoned Leviathan and it was jaw dropping.

I can't remember if it was a playable demo or just videos.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up playing the PC version, while my gamer friends had the PSX version. The script in the PC version has fewer errors, but most profanity is #&%$ed out.

Graphically, the 3D looks much better. The 2D backgrounds look more pixellated, since they're being scaled from 320x240 to 640x480. The 2D menu graphics and text actually look kinda nice the way they're scaled. Videos are scaled up as well, so they look even granier. Sound is only good if you have a card that supports Sound Font, and even then, it's better to use the FF7MP3 plugin to reference the PSX audio rip, which is then emulated. Not perfect, but it's as close to FF7 HD as you can get. You also get 10 or so memory cards...

If you have the PC version, it's worth it to try the character overhaul pack, hosted over on Qhimm (FF7-8PC forum). It updates all field models to nice, higher detail meshes. It's cool, but some of the animations look a little odd, and the new models are now MORE detailed than the battle models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread got me nostalgic (like most good threads around here do). Look what I found in one of my CD binders

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's how I kept mine, on that side of the binder too. My original case is seriously worn.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah I know, I know... I remember I got a demo somewhere for it and was simply amazed at the battle graphics. It was a battle and you summoned Leviathan and it was jaw dropping.

I can't remember if it was a playable demo or just videos.
    Did you own Tobal no.1 or the Playstation pack in demo?

I know for sure that the Tobal no.1 FF7 demo actually had better translation than the regular version. Also, the beginning of a new game right before it shows FF7 it has a bunch of text paragraphs telling about Mako(though spelled Makoro and Shinra.)

About the international version. I don't see why so many people get a boner about it. I mean it's just the US release of FF7 and an extra added bonus disc with character profiles, maps, etc. The bonus disc is nice, but it's the same game. What I think is messed up is that alot of content is cut out of US titles, but when a US title gets more content put in, they always rerelease it for Japan and add even more content.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    About the international version. I don't see why so many people get a boner about it. I mean it's just the US release of FF7 and an extra added bonus disc with character profiles, maps, etc. The bonus disc is nice, but it's the same game. What I think is messed up is that alot of content is cut out of US titles, but when a US title gets more content put in, they always rerelease it for Japan and add even more content.
    Yes, content and swag often get missed over here and I don't understand why. It may have something to do with exporting the special stuff is more of a headache than it's worth. Maybe hey can't just call it "software" then, maybe they have to call it a toy and that's a tariff of another color? (I know nothing about this, just making idle speculation)

Also want to re ask my question: Why the hell could I buy FF VIII and FF IX greatest hits version long after FF VII had disappeared? Does anyone know the relative difference in the time of the disappearance of FF VII vs. FF VIII or FF IX (new at retail)?
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...