Thread: NES Sudoku #28/100

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Sudoku #28/100

I picked this up several years ago at a show in Cleveland. It's never been played - and I only opened it once to take a look at the cart. I've been thinking about selling it now that I'm pretty much uninvolved in the video game world for various reasons, but I am entirely unsure of the value - it doesn't appear as if many have traded hands since it was released.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been looking at getting one complete at some point. I bought mine without the case and manual for $50 a while back. The past four or so seem to have gone for under $200, with one exception (it was $205, and it was signed, with much of the winning bid being donated). The other three seemed to be $150-$180 or so. If it's in good shape, without any dents in the tin or anything like that, I'd probably pay about $160 shipped for it or so...
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance. I could have got one new at a swap meet for $30, but I passed because I'm not that into Sudoku.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was pretty disappointed at CGE when they sold out before the show even opened. They advertised them to be sold at the show, but the sold them all to other vendors before the show even opened. I thought they should have at least kept some of them to sell to the public. I was the first one in line at the booth and they were completely sold out. It left a bad taste. If you are gonna advertise something to be sold at a show, make sure you dont sell all of them before the show opens. Anyways, I was glad they were the only booth to pull this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I was pretty disappointed at CGE when they sold out before the show even opened. They advertised them to be sold at the show, but the sold them all to other vendors before the show even opened. I thought they should have at least kept some of them to sell to the public. I was the first one in line at the booth and they were completely sold out. It left a bad taste. If you are gonna advertise something to be sold at a show, make sure you dont sell all of them before the show opens. Anyways, I was glad they were the only booth to pull this.
    I believe they were first available for sale at the Toronto area swap meet, I'm not sure how many were left for CGE. I'm almost positive that the Toronto swap happened before the CGE, I'm not 100% sure at the moment(though if they were sold out at CGE they must have been sold at the Toronto swap first).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I believe they were first available for sale at the Toronto area swap meet, I'm not sure how many were left for CGE. I'm almost positive that the Toronto swap happened before the CGE, I'm not 100% sure at the moment(though if they were sold out at CGE they must have been sold at the Toronto swap first).
    I asked at CGE and the guy said he sold them to other vendors during set-up. I dont know how many they had but they advertised them to be available at CGE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

These are different from the ones sold on Retrousb.com?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    These are different from the ones sold on Retrousb.com?
    Originally the game was available in a limited edition available in a tin box(only 100 were made), these were made using cases salvaged from other NES games. Later it was made available on Retrousb.com using all new parts, the cases look different. I didn't think the original release would become so valuable, it's a version of Sudoku.

More info here, but the description should be changed as it was also available at a Toronto area swap meet.
    http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=6646

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still wondering why I never bought one from Al Bailey, used to meet him almost once each week at Value Village.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Originally the game was available in a limited edition available in a tin box(only 100 were made), these were made using cases salvaged from other NES games. Later it was made available on Retrousb.com using all new parts, the cases look different. I didn't think the original release would become so valuable, it's a version of Sudoku.
    This is true, but I'll expand on it. The original limited run of 100 (which were simply titled "Sudoku", not "Sudoku 2007" as is in the database here) was actually split into gray and gold carts... #1-#5 were gold, as were #96-#100, and most were either distributed as prizes or auctioned off at various gaming expos; the remainder were gray. Seeing the demand for the new homebrews, Al Bailey and RetroUSB struck up a deal to have an unlimited edition released, featuring all new parts (i.e. no donor carts or anything of the sort), and without a box (mainly in an effort to cut costs). On July 5, 2007, Sudoku 2007 became available at RetroUSB in a very limited quantity, retailing for $20, the same as the original limited run. More were eventually made to satisfy demand, and even a couple programming updates were released, as well. Almost one year after its release, on July 1, 2008, production and sales ceased. Sudoku 2007 is considered to be among the most successful homebrew games ever released, having sold several hundred copies over the course of its year in production.

I'll admit, I knew the value of the limited run was going to skyrocket shortly after selling out due to demand. I think I might've been the first to publicly offer more than $100 for the gold version...I made that offer maybe a week or two after its initial release. The past few gray Sudokus that have sold went for generally $150-$180 (with the one exception at $205, as I mentioned earlier), with the past three gold Sudokus that have sold going for $500, $575, and $600. Sudoku 2007 generally doesn't sell for more than $20-$30 due to its relative commonality, however...

Fun fact, and this I remember seeing a while back in a post from none other than Al Bailey himself: All three versions of the game (gold, gray, and 2007) are a bit different from each other in terms of play (different puzzles, etc.).
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I know you and I have talked about this before, and I definitely agree with you.
    I was the one who (happily) lugged those damn things from Canada to Vegas for them to be available at CGE. It must have been a misscommunication between Al and the guy who was selling them. Either that, or the guy selling them didn't see anything wrong with selling them to the vendors before the show.

Honestly, to me (though some could argue differently), the fault lies partly with other collectors. I know some people (vendors) who lined up before the show and bought 2 or 3 copies of them. I only brought 20 to CGE, and some people took like 10-15% of what I brought for themselves. Of course, they weren't doing anything "wrong", though because the seller sold them all to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree 100% with you Jumpman on the other vendors. It is nice that you see things the same way. I am glad people take the time to make these things and bring them to shows, it really adds to the excitement.

Honestly, the exclusive games at CGE were one of the main reasons I went. Plus that and seeing everyones bright shiny faces.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 04-18-2009 at 06:02 PM.