Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fights over games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fights over games?

My brother and I used to get into fist fights when we were kids while playing certain games. Did you fight with sibblings/friends over games, and if so which ones? The big two for us were R.B.I Baseball and Pro Wrestling "both for NES".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

my younger sister was never amused when i played less than cooperatively at rampage on NES.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember two friends of mine fighting over the first Mortal Kombat many years ago. After the one friend kept winning over and over, the losing friend got pissed, threw the controller at the kid and said "You wanna see a real fatality?" They then went out into the street and knocked the hell out of each other. The guy who kept losing ended up with a scar on his chest that he still has to this day. A pathetic, but true story.... hopefully Jack Thompson isn't skimming through these forums anytime soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Never seen physical violence over them, but I've heard plenty of arguments over fighting games. Mainly between one friend who tried to use combos a lot, and a friend who simply button-mashed. He didn't like being told that he was a button-masher, to put it lightly
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen shouting, shoving and the occasional punch thrown at LAN areas when Counterstrike was king.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back when I was in High School at what was called Career Center computer class, the A+ tests and exercises were so easy that we mostly just played LAN games much of the time. Once when we were playing Quake 3: Arena I pissed off this guy (I think he must've been a wrestler) so much by killing him so many times that he literally came over and put me into some kind of wrestling-type headlock.

It wasn't really serious, and it didn't hurt, so I didn't reciprocate. He just kind of held me there for a second, said "Damn you!" and then let go, so I wasn't angry. Actually at the time I remember thinking that it must have been some kind of accomplishment; that my level of skill had actually driven someone to physical violence, even if it was done sort of jokingly.

Insert Coin (Level 0) RagedGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RBI baseball fought all the time with my friend but nothing serious and then got in a fist fight with another friend over Ken Griffey on snes. Another one which brought out the UFC fighter in you was Crash and Boys.
    All classic. All the time. www.RagedGamer.com

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember that, when SFII came out for the SNES, every game rental shop had a bunch of older kids offering to "teach you soem moves", to get some free play on your behalf. If you refused, they'd be all pissed, threaten to beat you, and shit like that. I got into a few heated arguments because of that but, fortunately (for me), no punches were thrown, since the shop owner would stand up for the good kids and kick the bullies out.

Fighting games were also the source of some hassle between me and my brother - basically because I kicked his ass every single time. He still gets pissed because of this...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Yup Me and my older brother once during WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role; Iron Man Match. I remember like it was yesterday, I was The Rock he was Triple H. I was winning 15 to 14 and their was only 10 seconds left. We both had a finisher left I got mine first and 1,2, and black out??? Yup, my brother broke the PS1 due to the fact I was going to win.
    Less than a minute later me & my brother ran it to my mother blaming one another for who broke it. I told her he did it and why and she believed me. The Next day off to find another PS1 and this was like 2 weeks after the holidays. So finding one was impossible. Then we found one and bought, after all that let me say my brother didn't play PS1 anymore.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street fighter 2, started many fights with me and my cousins. super smash bros. and goldeneye started a lot of yelling fights at sleep overs too. lol good times !

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one

i was playing Sim Copter and my friend was visiting and he was sitting next to me. being the jokster he was i told him not to hit any buttons cause i just wanted to finish the mission i was on. well of course he hit the tear gas launcher. i don't know why but it really pissed me off and much shouting insued. we didn't talk for a week and he refused to come over for awhile.

that was years ago, i acually think that was the last real argument we've had.
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 04-13-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brothers and I would get into huge fights when we had only one TV and the NES back in the late 80's, especially when one person was playing a one player game and playing for way too long. One time my younger brother got really mad at me, and threw one of my NES books right at my face, with a corner of it hitting my eye. It's the book in the lower right hand corner:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddcecil/2932020935/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No fights between myself and others but I've seen my cousins go at it when playing games.

It mostly starts because a controller is thrown on the ground and the other one says what the hell. It escalates from there.

I learned not to play 2 player games where you are a team but can take each other's energy level down by accident. That usually ends the game pretty quick.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

When me and my friends play games, we sometimes demoralize each other and take out our anger on each other. You may think thats bad, but it amazingly makes us feel better and is better than destroying something or throwing the controller through the screen. Then we always apologize to each other afterwards and drink some soda or energy drinks.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, my brother and I never really fought over games. The only thing we ever really complained about is who got to play Kirby on Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I got punched right in the eye by someone who was pissed that I always chose Hulk Hogan in Super Wrestlemania for SNES before he could (I used controller one). He thought it was "unfair because Hulk Hogan is the best wrestler in the WWF."

Why that had anything to do with how good Hulk Hogan was in Super Wrestlemania, I don't know.

Especially since every character had the exact same move set and attributes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Way back when we got our first Atari 2600 my younger brother used to punch my arm and stomp off crying whenever I beat him in any game variation on the ol' Combat cart. And by "whenever", I mean every time we played Combat. But don't feel sorry for little Willy. He got his schweet revenge several years later when were sharing an apartment and had our second 2600. He managed to get a perfect score (99) on Sky Diver - a feat I have yet to duplicate .

And then there were a couple of times in the arcades around 1982 when, courtesy of older kids, I took an elbow to the nose/cheek area for hovering to close to someone's game, accused of either screwing up their game or trying to steal their queued quarters. I believe the machines in question were Tron and Reactor, but blunt trauma to the face has a way of muddling one's memory.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 04-13-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I don't think I've ever gotten into a fight over a game but my brother and I used to fight over control of the tv. I'm the gamer and he liked watching tv so it was a problem to figure out how long I got to play vs how long he got to watch for. I think my mom finally came up with a schedule.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pinball

I was playing some pinball game. I think it was the Whirlwind game because I remember the fan blowing after, but I was playing minding my own business. I was probably about 9 or so at the time, and I was just playing like I've done some many times before. Then some dirty, skinny black kid comes hovering and starts watching me play. He was probably like 7 or so. I didn't mind so much. That was pretty common back then for people to watch you play and whatever. No bigs. Then he asks if he could play. I didn't know this kid and he didn't give me any quarters so of course I said no. He asked again and I was still like, nah man. That was pretty much it. I commenced to playing my game then he punches me in the face. I was like what the fuck! Then he tried to run away but I grabbed him by his shirt and he was doing that thing where he was trying to like shrug you off his shirt and whatever. Like a football player trying to avoid a tackle, but I had a handful of shirt so I had him and I laid like three or four shots to his head and if it were nowadays I probably would have kept pounding on him but back then I was all about the arcade and after I knocked him around a bit I went back to the pinball game and my ball was still going and I continued to play without missing a step.

I just remember feeling like what the hell just happened. It was so surreal to me. Like did that just happen. This was at the Bay Meadows race track and back then I would pretty much spend my whole weekend there because my dad had me for the weekends and that’s where he spent his life so I was there the whole fuckin day but this was just about the last race or so, so people were clearing out and what have you. As I said, I was there pretty much every weekend and I pretty much knew the other regular kids there too (which is sad and disgusting really) and I never saw that kid before or after. It was just so bizarre because after I knocked the kid around he left and apparently no one say anything because no one said anything, I’m guessing the kid didn’t tell his parents because no one came up to me for anything and I didn’t bother telling my dad either. It was just weird because I think that was the first time I actually had a legit altercation where I threw a punch at another person with intent to hurt. I’m pretty sure I had shoving matches before that but this was the first time I threw a punch at someone and hit them. And it was completely instinctual. Yeah I played tons of Street Fighter II before but nothing ever said to grab the guy and punch his head. It was just one of those animal instincts we all have inside us.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lucky you don't keep guns in the house.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."