Thread: HELP: Hexen Sega Saturn Debug Menu...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HELP: Hexen Sega Saturn Debug Menu...

Im not sure if many people know this answer but its important!

Does anyone know how to access the Hexen Debug Menu in Saturn? I cant find info anywhere on the net.

The importance of it?

Many websites claim you can use Hexen with the Saturns Link Cable which allows you to hook up 2 saturns, 2 tvs and 2 copies of Hexen to play multiplayer. However the feature was "unofficial". It was never included in the game but all of these websites say it can be accessed through the debug menu.

Well I have all the stuff but now I just need to access the darn DeBug menu.

Duke Nukem is the only FPS on Saturn to feature Multiplayer so Im very interested in seeing if a 2nd mplayer FPS exists! (Doom says it has it on the box but wasnt included in the US version)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I could only find the code for a Cheat Menu. Maybe it's a part of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya Kit Im not sure. Ill try the cheat code.

Im just upset that 10 diff sites say "Hexen, Link compatible through debug menu" but not one of them say how to access it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'm surprised nobody knows about this.

Maybe someone who owns a cheat book from the era could look it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by xDerekRx View Post
    Ya Kit Im not sure. Ill try the cheat code.

Im just upset that 10 diff sites say "Hexen, Link compatible through debug menu" but not one of them say how to access it.
    They also say that the US version of Doom supports link, though, but that the European version does not and the Japanese version probably does. Are you sure the US version of the game doesn't have it?

This user review for instance seems to claim that the game does have it... http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/satu...ew/R88490.html

But then this and others says it doesn't. Odd.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/satu...ew/R84709.html

The GameFAQs FAQ about it only says that the European versions of Hexen and Doom don't have link, not the US ones: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/satu...e/916393/13876

The official FAQ for the US version claims that it has it. And then other lists don't. Etc. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/file/197140/5160

As for Hexen, yeah, try the cheat menu and see if it's there.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-16-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TO Black Falcon: Im almost 100% sure Doom for US doesnt have it. Im going to try that next but there is no option to play Link Play anywhere in the game. Maybe its in a debug menu somewhere?

The Japanese version of DOOM does indeed have link play.

The European and US doom versions are the same, both buggy and incomplete with no link play. The Japanese version was released by Midway years later and was a nice complete version with the link play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YES!!! The Cheat Menu has it!

The Cheats Menu has about 20 options written in small lettereing and at the bottom there is a tiny option that says Players: One or Link...

What you have to do is have both Hexens open the cheat menu, both set players to "link" and both choose the same options (deathmatch, coop, level etc) then you both have to start a new game and it will link them!

Its insanely buggy. Sometimes it plainly doesnt work at all. But its kind of cool the developers threw it in the cheat menu just for fun for people to mess with. So far I havent found a successeful Deathmatch map where it actually doesnt bug out. Ill probably do a Youtube video of it. One of the neater hidden options in any saturn game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TO Black Falcon: Im almost 100% sure Doom for US doesnt have it. Im going to try that next but there is no option to play Link Play anywhere in the game. Maybe its in a debug menu somewhere?

The Japanese version of DOOM does indeed have link play.

The European and US doom versions are the same, both buggy and incomplete with no link play. The Japanese version was released by Midway years later and was a nice complete version with the link play.
    Hmm, interesting. GameFAQs says that the Japanese version only came out four months after the US release, but that is enough time to make a few changes, such as adding (or fixing) the link mode... but if the US and European versions are identical, then the US one probably indeed doesn't have it. Are they really identical?

YES!!! The Cheat Menu has it!

The Cheats Menu has about 20 options written in small lettereing and at the bottom there is a tiny option that says Players: One or Link...

What you have to do is have both Hexens open the cheat menu, both set players to "link" and both choose the same options (deathmatch, coop, level etc) then you both have to start a new game and it will link them!

Its insanely buggy. Sometimes it plainly doesnt work at all. But its kind of cool the developers threw it in the cheat menu just for fun for people to mess with. So far I havent found a successeful Deathmatch map where it actually doesnt bug out. Ill probably do a Youtube video of it. One of the neater hidden options in any saturn game.
    So essentially, if you want multiplayer Hexen on a console, get the N64 version (it has four player splitscreen).

But still, it is cool that it's there in Saturn Hexen... better than nothing, even if it does crash constantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Falcon I have both the Euro and US versions of Doom

They were ported by the same company. The Japanese game was done by another company. The Euro/US versions both run at the same frame rate and include the same things. Its the slowest frame rate of any doom version you can find because they rushed it out. Runs at what feels like 15 frames. The Japanese version that I havent purchased yet has been said to have (by many who have played) fixed frame rate to 30 frames as it should play and link mode included. Im not sure why I said "years" later on its release ha

As for Hexen, I agree N64 is where you should go. I used to play Hexen mplayer on it back in the day and still do sometimes now. I guess the real value of finding this is more of a cool little easter egg for the Saturn. The N64 had plenty of Mplayer FPS games but the Saturn only has 1 and this makes it a potential 1.5 (2.5 if you count Jap Doom) which I think is more neat than functional I guess. Finding hidden retro gaming secrets is always interesting.
    Last edited by xDerekRx; 04-17-2009 at 01:28 AM.