Thread: Dead Twin FamiCom

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dead Twin FamiCom

I recently bought a Sharp Twin FamiCom on ebay, the auction stated it was in working condition but it seems to be dead. The system only gets power on disk mode but there's no BIOS boot screens at all and if I switch the console back to cart mode and push the power button the power LED blinks for a split second and goes off. I opened it up and I can't seem to find anything wrong so far besides the usual dust. Any ideas/help will be much appreciated since I'm totally clueless at this point and almost everything I can find on the web is related to the belt issue which doesn't seem to be related at all with my current problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power receptacles on these are notoriously bad, on some it can take quite a few tries to even get the connection right with a stock AC adapter. I'd check the receptacle and take a volt meter to your adapter.

It's nothing definitive but at least a direction to start looking in. If it's a problem with the logic board itself it'll be a much tougher task of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the answer, I guess I need to give a bit more details about the issue, the system gets a steady power LED on disk mode and the disk drive motor actually starts spining and making a ratling noise (belt seems to be broken but as far as I know it shouldn't interfere with the normal boot screens) so it doesn't look to be a power issue on it's own. The problem gets worse when I switch the unit back to cartdrige mode since this mode is what makes the power LED to blink for a second and go off and this happens both with and without a cartdrige inserted. I'm in the process of cleaning up and take apart the whole unit but I won't be able to fully troubleshoot the unit until saturday since I don't really have the time nor tools ATM. Oh well it's kinda sad to see one these units die I really hope I can fix this thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have seen so many people buyin stuff from ebay that was listed as "working condition" and then they post on forums on how to fix it (because it is broken). Whatever happened to holding ebay sellers accountable???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, to make things worse most of these things come from Japan so shipping this thing back is not an option considering shipping is non-refundable . I don't mind that much getting a defective unit if it's listed as un-tested or "as is" but this one was listed as tested and working, I'll try to work something out with the seller if I can;t make this unit work again, at least guy isn't ignoring my emails and is following up on my case.

EDIT:
    I got some spare time this morning and took the whole thing apart, I even removed most of the springs on the unit (it was a pain to put them back in place) cleaned everything up, installed a new belt while I was at it and I resurrected it! the power LED is still acting up but I'm now getting both disk and cartridge sides to work. I might probably need to replace the power receptacle as Arasoi suggested since it looks rusted inside, thanks for all the help, it was frustrating but at the same time kinda fun.
    Last edited by 123►Genei-Jin; 04-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.