Thread: Removing Price-Tags from Discs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Question Removing Price-Tags from Discs

I just found a copy of Dead or Alive 2, and it has an orange price-tag on it. The tag is such that it will come off, but leave a lot of residue behind.
    Is there a good way to remove it? I use Goo-Gone for cases, but didn't think it was safe enough for discs.
    Also, this isn't one of those security labels common on most rentals-its just a tough price-tag.

Thanks!
    ~Kyle15
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    I just found a copy of Dead or Alive 2, and it has an orange price-tag on it. The tag is such that it will come off, but leave a lot of residue behind.
    Is there a good way to remove it? I use Goo-Gone for cases, but didn't think it was safe enough for discs.
    Also, this isn't one of those security labels common on most rentals-its just a tough price-tag.

Thanks!
    ~Kyle15
    rubbing alcohol should work
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Yeah, don't use goo gone on discs. In my experience it just smears the adhesive all over the surface of the disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Thanks!
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't say for sure about discs, but when I do need to get rid of adhesive, lighter fluid works wonders. I'm told its because of the naphtha or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone had luck removing the video store ring stickers from the inner ring of discs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Anyone had luck removing the video store ring stickers from the inner ring of discs?
    I've had quite a bit of practice with this. My corner video rental place just closed-up shop, and had a huge DVD sale. As a result, I had to pull a dozen ring stickers off my purchases. I can't say whether or not this will work with all sticker-types, but it worked awesome in my case.

Step 1: Find a good starting point. With your fingernail, catch the edge and lift off or scratch off) at least a few millimeters. Try not to tear it.

Step 2: Once you have a good edge to grip onto, pull VERY SLOWLY at about a 45-60 degree angle from the disc. Pulling 90 degrees (or "straight up") from the disc will likely cause tearing of the sticker and/or adhesive to stick to the disc instead of the sticker itself. Again, pull VERY SLOWLY, patience pays here. If you tear at any point, use you fingernail to start it again, and pull from there when necessary. You may still end up with some adhesive on the disc, but that's solvable...

Step 3: Once the whole sticker is removed, use the remaining tackiness of the sticker itself to pull off any remaining adhesive. Basically, quickly dab the still-sticky parts of the sticker onto the adhesive stuck to the disc... use a small suface area to dab, and pull away quickly on each dab. The adhesive will stay on the the sticker, rather than the disc.

Step 4: Still having trouble? Rubbing alcohol (or pretty much anything with isopropyl alcohol in it, like whiteboard cleaner) will pull the remaining adhesive up fairly easily. Use sparingly however... some disc art may wash-out a little if too much is used for too long (if you rub too hard).
    Last edited by Mnemonic; 04-21-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any CDs that I can try this on, but I'd bet that using freeze spray will get the ring sticker off. Pinballers use this technique to remove mylar from wooden playfields, I've done it too and it works great for that.

Basically, use freeze spray / canned air turned upside-down & spray part of the label on the edge. Once cold enough, it should peel right up as if it weren't attached. Continue the process of freezing the adhesive & peeling the label. Once the label is off, clean the adhesive with naptha, goo gone, wd40, whatever you have & works best.

Anybody have a crappy CD game they can test this on?