Thread: Reserve a game at Target for $1; get $5 gift card

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reserve a game at Target for $1; get $5 gift card

Saw the flyer in my Sunday paper, but I thought it was an error. But apparently not.

Target is starting a new game reserve system that works like this: There is a rack with cards, each representing a new game coming out within two months. You take the card and purchase it for $1. This reserves a copy of the game for you as well ensures that the specific Target store orders the correct amount of reserved games.

When the game is released, you bring in the card and pay for the game. If you do not purchase it within 7 days of release, the reserved game is placed on the shelf for general purchase and/or returned to supplier and you're out $1 since the $1 is NOT applied toward the game itself. (You're really only buying the card and a "spot in line.")

Also, to help launch this program and as an incentive, you'll get a $5 gift card for every game you reserve/purchase in this manner.

http://kotaku.com/5214494/target-pay...-reserve-games

In the Target flyer, I pretty much saw every big game coming out listed: GhostBusters, Wii Punch-Out, Indy Jones and Staff of Kings, etc. If this program is successful, look for it to hammer away at other game reserve programs (Best Buy , GameStop). Who wouldn't pay a buck to reserve a game rather than the $5-$10 requested by other stores? And an extra $5 incentive is damn appealing too.
    Last edited by Sniderman; 04-20-2009 at 06:40 AM.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bleh. A non-refundable $1 cost that doesn't even go to the cost of the game. Buy the game, you get $4 bonus. Don't buy the game, lose $1.

I'd rather wait and buy the game used for about 40% of retail cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Who wouldn't pay a buck to reserve a game rather than the $5-$10 requested by other stores? And an extra $5 incentive is damn appealing too.
    But that goes towards the game that money.

I am now loosing a $1 if I reserve the game. Plus who knows how long them will keep the gift cards around. Even if they do keep them around forever I bet you get the gift card during the purchase of the game. Meaning you can't use it towards the price of the game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sold. $4 off a strategy guide. $4 off the game's price. And $4 is almost enough to cover a 6-pack of Bud Select.

I'm also thinking the cards themselves might be cool to collect in a binder.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

pre-order many games for 1 dollar. let's say 10.
    get 10 5 dollar giftcards
    for 10 bucks, you got 50 bucks in store credit? i assume they have some sort of limit in place here...

edit: ok, read it more clearly, disregard.
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 04-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering you bring the reservation card in to the store to get the game, is anyone even sure you get to keep the card once you buy the game?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

They are calling the cards collectible, so I assume that means you get to keep it.

Since I practically live at Target...this looks to be a great deal.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    pre-order many games for 1 dollar. let's say 10.
    get 10 5 dollar giftcards
    for 10 bucks, you got 50 bucks in store credit? i assume they have some sort of limit in place here...

edit: ok, read it more clearly, disregard.

What if you only get five dollars off towards the purchase of the game. You pay one dollar for the card, bring it back in time to buy the game and you get five dollars off your preorder. That'd be what I'd do. I wouldn't hand gift cards out along with the preorder card. Force the person to purchase the game if they want the five dollar off since that's the reason they should be purchasing the preorder.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What if you only get five dollars off towards the purchase of the game. You pay one dollar for the card, bring it back in time to buy the game and you get five dollars off your preorder. That'd be what I'd do. I wouldn't hand gift cards out along with the preorder card. Force the person to purchase the game if they want the five dollar off since that's the reason they should be purchasing the preorder.
    You only get the $5 gift card if you go through with the purchase of the game. I believe you can't even get the $5 off the game you get it for buying, sort of like when Circuit City would give you a gift card with purchase which could only be used on another purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You only get the $5 gift card if you go through with the purchase of the game. I believe you can't even get the $5 off the game you get it for buying, sort of like when Circuit City would give you a gift card with purchase which could only be used on another purchase.
    But once you buy preorder that first game, can you use the gift card from that towards the next one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Speaking as a team member, the idea behind this is completely FUBAR.

Way back when, we took everyone's name down, and gave them a $5 coupon, and were supposed to ask that the guest keep their receipt, preferably with the pre-order coupon. This didn't work, and was thankfully discontinued a while after the current gift card system came to be.

Once the gift cards became disposable (and not basically checks), we had it so that pre-orders (including the last Potter book) were purchased using the gift cards, so you could pay off the entire price of the game, and the strategy guide, before it came out, including tax. That was awesome.

This method just makes for an instant profit, much like the stupid service plans (aka, extended warranties). However, until the "free gift card with purchase" promotion ends, no one's likely to care. Expanding the prior system, IMO, would have been much better.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    But once you buy preorder that first game, can you use the gift card from that towards the next one?
    You don't get the $5 gift card until you actually come in and pay the full amount on the game and pick up the game on the release date. If you do another preorder and you come in and pick up that game, you could certainly use that $5 gift card toward that game, but the additional $5 gift card you get for preordering the second game would have to be used on something else. It really is exactly like Circuit City's old system, but half the value in most cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    Sold. $4 off a strategy guide. $4 off the game's price. And $4 is almost enough to cover a 6-pack of Bud Select.

I'm also thinking the cards themselves might be cool to collect in a binder.
    Why not just buy them both on Amazon? Guides are usually $10-13 at release instead of $20+ and the games usually have a discount too A new game + guide = no shipping cost, no tax(for most people), cheaper than retail game and guide (Plus no driving!)

I remember at release picking up Valkyria Chronicles + Guide off Amazon for $62 total shipped. Infact it is like this almost all of the time which is why 90% of my game purchases are now through them . Ofcourse if you want it right here right now I guess there is nothing better than B&M.