Thread: -----

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default -----

-----
    Last edited by Jive3D; 01-20-2024 at 11:51 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They seem to be going for between $100 and $125 now on Ebay since Capcom filled all the back orders meaning there are more like 1,500 of them out there instead of the initial 500 total. One just sold a minute ago for like $115 with free shipping.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Last I heard from Capcom, the number circles around 1,000. $150-$200 appears to be the high end estimate right now though with something like this there's no way of knowing what's going to happen in the future. The current price is noticeably lower than it was when the thing was hot stuff. I've seen some sell for $350+ a few months back. It's possible that they'll go up because of the rarity or go down because people will just stop caring.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Last I heard from Capcom, the number circles around 1,000. $150-$200 appears to be the high end estimate right now though with something like this there's no way of knowing what's going to happen in the future. The current price is noticeably lower than it was when the thing was hot stuff. I've seen some sell for $350+ a few months back. It's possible that they'll go up because of the rarity or go down because people will just stop caring.
    None have sold on Ebay for over $125 for at least the last month. There are several available with a $150 or lower BIN and no takers. They haven't sold for over $300 since Capcom released the first batch to the public. I suspect this will maintain or go down in value simply because the hype is gone and at the end of the day, it's just a box with a used NES cartridge and stickers which wasn't constructed all that well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I think that's probably the more likely possibility. Somebody like me who is a Mega Man junkie has a personal appreciation for the item but it's such an esoteric attraction that I suspect as much oohs and aahs it draws from Mega Man fans, the vast majority of people will see it as little more than a conversation piece. The collector's value is probably too dependent on the individual loving Mega Man or fancied up press kits for it to really turn into a hot commodity.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Yeah, I think that's probably the more likely possibility. Somebody like me who is a Mega Man junkie has a personal appreciation for the item but it's such an esoteric attraction that I suspect as much oohs and aahs it draws from Mega Man fans, the vast majority of people will see it as little more than a conversation piece. The collector's value is probably too dependent on the individual loving Mega Man or fancied up press kits for it to really turn into a hot commodity.
    Don't get me wrong, I bought one just because I thought it was neat and I plan on keeping it. I just think the market has finally caught up with the majority of speculators who just bought it because they thought the price would stay at $300 or more. Given how many have been sold on Ebay, I think the vast majority of purchases were speculators which is sad because this is a great item for Mega Man fans.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I bought one just because I thought it was neat and I plan on keeping it. I just think the market has finally caught up with the majority of speculators who just bought it because they thought the price would stay at $300 or more. Given how many have been sold on Ebay, I think the vast majority of purchases were speculators which is sad because this is a great item for Mega Man fans.
    It's the rarity itself which is keeping the cost high. The actual contents of the kit don't strike me as being worth the cash.

This could have been an actual, working NES cartridge... but Capcom legal didn't want to fund making cartridges solely because they didn't want people dumping the ROM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    What bothers me more is that every auction on Ebay claims "Only 200 made!" which is flat out false. That's textbook misrepresentation but I have no idea how to complain about it. Yes, it's certainly not super common but I think the difference between 200 and the "under 1,000" number I got from a Capcom rep is significant enough to matter to potential buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    This could have been an actual, working NES cartridge... but Capcom legal didn't want to fund making cartridges solely because they didn't want people dumping the ROM.
    Mega Man 9 is not an NES game and couldn't possibly run on the NES. What Capcom originally wanted to do was put the Wiiware game on the disc which could be played on a Wii. Unfortunately, they weren't permitted to do that.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 04-21-2009 at 06:37 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually had an order in, but cancelled it after a month or so (my bank ballance went below the order price). I also tried to win the contest (video link), but apparently you can't win without a generic idea for MM10, a custom license plate, a tatoo, or footage of yourself getting an NES MM game on Christmas Morning. Actually, I have that last one, but not the permission of the other people in the video >_<.

I really looked forward to the press kits, but they handled it wrong in my opinion. Firstly, they didn't set the cutoff properly and it oversold. Secondly, they sold the item on the assumption that it would be much more limited, then produced more while charging the same price. This was something that was purely sentimental for me, but it got too commercial.
    Last edited by NayusDante; 04-21-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I actually had an order in, but cancelled it after a month or so (my bank ballance went below the order price). I also tried to win the contest (video link), but apparently you can't win without a generic idea for MM10, a custom license plate, a tatoo, or footage of yourself getting an NES MM game on Christmas Morning. Actually, I have that last one, but not the permission of the other people in the video >_<.

I really looked forward to the press kits, but they handled it wrong in my opinion. Firstly, they didn't set the cutoff properly and it oversold. Secondly, they sold the item on the assumption that it would be much more limited, then produced more while charging the same price. This was something that was purely sentimental for me, but it got too commercial.
    Two comments here. Despite the fact that they oversold, they ended up filling all the backorders, so everyone who made some effort to get one on the day the deal went live at least had a pretty good shot at getting one eventually. Capcom never made any specific representations about the quantity they had or would make available. That was pure speculation and you really can't complain about Capcom overcharging based on some misrepresentation of quantity when they never made any such representation. I don't know how else they could have handled this, other than perhaps having a better vendor handle their e-commerce which would have meant instead of 1,000 copies getting out there, maybe 500 total would have leaving a lot more people very unhappy.