Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VGXPO vs. GAMEX

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry VGXPO vs. GAMEX

So this is interesting, apparently some of the VGXPO organizers left VGXPO and have started their own show in Philly, GAMEX.

Now what really sucks is that they seem to have taken the NBC sponsor with them. What it looks like is a corporate crapfest trying to steal dollars away from VGXPO. Oh and don't worry there isn't a mention of any classic gaming at Gamex. Say what you want about VGXPO, but Ed Flemming is a nice guy, and didn't deserve this. VGXPO still had a little place in their heart for the Retrogaming community, and I for one will be boycotting this GameX. Great Job GameX organizers for backstabbing Ed in the back and earning your one way ticket to hell.

www.gamexpo.us

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Yeah, Ed may do some embarassing things from time to time, but he is a really nice guy and it's a shame some people he's worked with for years decided to backstab him and start up a competing event, taking with them some of his business partners.

From my understanding this Virtual Rush company that is now putting on Game X was a gaming center that recently went under. I'm curious if his business partners are aware of that.
    Last edited by intvsama; 04-22-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GameX is a Joke. All I have to say and I for one as a vendor and fan of gaming will not attend.
    Too Many Games 12
    Friday June 15 - Sunday June 17 Oaks, PA
    www.toomanygames.com

my feedback! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56075

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, from a reliable source, NBC fired VGXPO for a variety of really good reasons. NBC didn't feel the show was up to snuff, and neither did the attendees! My understanding is that NBC also picked Virtual Rush because they had the LAN center model under their belt and were ready to take on something with more benefit to game players.

Considering how tiny VGXPO was prior to the huge NBC turnout, it's no wonder NBC wanted to take their business somewhere else. How wants to send a huge number of fans out to a show that sucks?

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by deerinlights View Post
    Actually, from a reliable source, NBC fired VGXPO for a variety of really good reasons. NBC didn't feel the show was up to snuff, and neither did the attendees! My understanding is that NBC also picked Virtual Rush because they had the LAN center model under their belt and were ready to take on something with more benefit to game players.

Considering how tiny VGXPO was prior to the huge NBC turnout, it's no wonder NBC wanted to take their business somewhere else. How wants to send a huge number of fans out to a show that sucks?
    A "reliable source" coming from an unknown voice.

Who planted you here?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like someone from GameX has made an account. I have actual reliable sources being as I run conventions and that is all total BS. Nice try GameX spy but we here at digital press arent morons Mr I joined Apr 2009 .
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NBC actually partnered with VGXPO for their first year too.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes sir, we'll have you know that VGXPO is a beloved event here at DP.

...wait, what?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Yes sir, we'll have you know that VGXPO is a beloved event here at DP.

...wait, what?
    <snerk!>
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, folks...facts are facts. There's no dispute here. It's OK to be loyal to a show, but let's make sure we're not spreading random lies.

From what I've been told, NBC was real unhappy... I attended VGXPO last year and watched some of the screaming matches and crying jags. It was pretty pathetic.

NBC was pissed because hordes of people were streaming in without paying. Add to that, the convention center was pissed due to total lack of management, volunteers and crowd control. The VGXPO bosses were MIA, and even flubbed/snubbed a major key note speaker, who was beyond inflamed.

Sorry, say what you will, but VGXPO can do what it wants, and so can any other show. As a competing player, I simply don't want to waste my time on a mess...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if you know so much why dont you prove it and say who you are.
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So Ive been thinking alot and here is what I have to say. As a show producer I've been watching VGXPO (and now GameX) for a long time. I've done my research and this is what I see:

- In an email sent to vendors form GameX, they claimed "the NBC show has a new name and location". As far as I know, NBC never had any ownership of VGXPO - this show is owned by Lunar Tide Communications (that's what Ed's always told me at least). The email has caused confusion among exhibitors, and a number of us thought that VGXPO changed its name. At first glance this all seems reckless and deceitful on the part of NBC.

- Here's a question: I've always been told that NBC was a media partner, not an owner, so how could VGXPO ever be fired from NBC: the relationship was a marketing partnership.

- From what I can tell, VGXPO's relationship with NBC is not unusual, with any event, each year they have new and returning media partners. This is true for VGXPO and NBC has been an on again, off again partner since its inception. The flower show, baby show, car show and home shows all have media partners and the partnerships will change from year to year.

- Every company has turnover, and this is true with TMG, and I am sure its true with VGXPO too. Including Ed Fleming, his brother and a couple other guys, VGXPO still has 5 guys that I can think of that are still working on the expo since the time that they were at Valley Forge.

- Every event has hiccups and mis-steps. I've been critical of VGXPO too, but they make changes each year to fix problems. The comments on DP seem to come from someone that has more then just reliable sources. Whoever is posting is likely with GameX and this all seems awfully like its personal to me.

- Looking at the emails and website, GameX doesn't have much to stand on other then to point out where VGXPO went wrong - and it uses everything VGXPO did right to sell itself (even Robots - come on).

- I was at VGXPO (and most of the past ones) and I saw the tens of thousands of people there last year. Talking with Ed, I know that VGXPO had over 300 volunteers, a dozen of its own staff members and tons of contract folks (including ticket workers, security, union folks, and convention center staff) working on VGXPO from open to close. It may not be perfect but VGXPO has come a far way since the first one.

- If people were sneaking into the event, then that's a problem that VGXPO, and its security people, need to address. However, over the three days of the event VGXPO counted 24,600 people, if there were more then that then wow. That's an awesome problem to have.

- Ed is registered to attend TMG next week - let's see if he has anything to say.
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*sigh* I am going to be a doing a comparision peice on both events, there is nothing wrong with competition I just hope both conventions can co-exist and offer their unique experience to the audiences that they pull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having sponsored RetroCon last year, I was a bit curious about the GameX show when then first contacted us about participating. My concern was that TMG, VGXpo and now GameX all within a few weeks of each other would dilute the interest in any one particular show. And, potentially for us retro companies, more expenses while we hit multiple shows in order to see and sell to the same client base.(or skip shows due to costs.) Additionally, without a clear message, 3 shows will start to become 1 show in the all important "casual" show goer's mind. (you more hardcore gamers will know the difference between the shows. The casual attendee won't and is what drives the show in ticket sale revenues.)

From my conversations with GameX organizers, any retro section right now is a secondary concern/idea. Will it develop? - possibly if they think it will be enough of a draw. Right now, they are quoting fairly steep floor pricing that would scare most retro companies. (it makes Fleming's show look cheap per sqft!) They are also considering putting the retro section in a secondary space within the convention hall (similar to how RetroCon was in the '08 VGXpo and exactly what we AREN'T doing for the '09 show!)

More concerning is the location GameX has selected - seemingly a poor choice so far outside of Philly proper and with limited ingress/egress and parking.

Although everyone will agree Fleming has had his share of "moments" in the past, the guy actually does have a clear plan in his mind. As we saw at the last show, execution was a little lacking - but that can be fixed with a stronger team behind him (which I'm seeing him build right now.) The deal with Wizard World will take the show in a newer direction that I don't think will dilute the message as much as compliment it. Having this extra offering will probably continue to build the "casual" audience and cross-overs. A bigger show attendance = larger anchor companies at the next show - ultimately a win-win for the show goer.

Now, not to completely bash GameX, it might have a space if it can carve one out - but it needs to be done carefully. My understanding is that they landed SciFi channel which might mean some interesting content. I also hear they are in talks to have Take 2's Boston Affiliate as an anchor. Also, GameX is using the NBC Sales Staff to hit up vendors (this is a big deal with alot of mutual back patting.) And they do have the experience of having worked on VGXpo (or could be the reason VGXpo was disorganized.)

VGXpo on the other hand is touting VGLive and potentially EA. Fleming is in conversations with 2 large networks as a replacement to NBC (and don't forget the deal with WW - Wizard World in Chicago attracts close to 70,000 attendees - the Wizard World in Philly attracts 30,000 on it's own.) Plus, being added is an additional show in October where VGXpo will be an attendee of the show sponsor - this will be in NYC (and I don't know if I'm able to share details at this point to I'll await further approval.)

All together, this will be an interesting show season in a challenging economic time. I actually hope the best for all of the shows as I think they can be a win for the people who attend if it's understood what each stands for.
    Be sure to check in on J2Games.com!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Taking it all in...

Quote Originally Posted by intvsama View Post
    From my understanding this Virtual Rush company that is now putting on Game X was a gaming center that recently went under. I'm curious if his business partners are aware of that.
    I did a google search on GameX and VGXPO and it brought me to this site. It's a great site BTW. I'm curious about the quote above, Is it a fact? I mean, did they really go under or did they move on to bigger and better? At first glance, they seem like they have thier act together. I'm starting to research both shows and see what I can find. Due to having a new born, it may take a week or so to gather all my info but I'll post it on here.

My purpose in doing this is simply because I have been asked too. My feedback will be unbiased and inquiring minds want to know things. Does anyone know who owns Virtual Rush?

Look forward to posting with you all!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by girlinasuit View Post
    Does anyone know who owns Virtual Rush?
    Ok, I'm not sure if he is the "owner", however, I found that Paul Tresca is the President/CEO for Virtual Rush Gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might want to check out the thread on http://j2games.com/new/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0 for a little info on the guy behind Virtual Rush, the co-producer of GameX. Hell of a guy that Tresca. Also as a matter of interest, I have been in contact with NBC-Universal during the past few days inquiring as to the use of its logo -- as opposed to the NBC 10 logo for the local station on Philly (which is the lowest rated network in the city). Suddenly, I notice that on the GameX sites have replaced the NBC-Universal logo with the NBC-10 logo. Hmm, given that GameX's big sales push was that NBC-Universal was "co-producer" of the GameX event, this seems a little... strange. The NBC-Universal logo also appears on a number of GameX business cards, but I suspect it will disappear from those as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The battle for irrelevance continues!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else want to see a cage match in a con?