Thread: VGXPO vs. GAMEX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Yeah, but I don't want to drive past how far I'd have to drive for where PhillyClassic was. :P
    Well, GameCore was just today, and it was like 10 minutes from where PhillyClassic used to be held.

Plus there's TooManyGames up in Reading every year.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna agree with Sniderman and the others who say...

who cares?

No offense to Fleming as he seems like a nice guy. Don't know this other guys tresca or whatever. BUT

VGXPO sucks.....GAMEX will probably also suck. I could give a crap less about some industry wanna be E3 games con. I don't care if you have 13,000 mindless idiots in the door or 70,000. I'd much rather go to the mid-west classic in WI, or The Portland,OR show, or CGE.

Why? because they actually focus on classic gaming. They will be smaller, cheaper shows, with more of what I want to see at a show.

There aren't many good classic shows because it's hard to put one on for profit. The crowds at a truly classic games show may break a few grand. you'd never see 50k people.

I can get the experience of vgxpo or gamex from watching E3 coverage on youtube. or walking into my local gamestop.

I see these conventions as what they are. They're a buisness endver for those putting the shows on. They want to sell enough floorspace and tickets to cover expenses and make as big a profit as possible. 70k people in the door no matter if they enjoy it or not is successful. I would venture to bet that although the majority of people I've heard from though the vgxpo sucked, that vgxpo probably made a pretty nice buck if they past 70k through the doors.

Not saying that most Classic shows don't try and turn a profit. They do, but they also try to do so while keeping the theme. Some classic shows don't even break even. So why do they do it? Cause they don't want a E3, they want the classic experience. That's why phillyclassic will forever be the only show that was ever worth going to in philly. I don't know how it did financially. I'm guessing not good enough to continue it, but that's the kind of show that classic gamers want.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've read this thread several times, and I still don't understand what's going on.

That's probably for the best. All I can tell is that I'm not going to either of these conventions.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    So when are they going to ditch both of these shows and bring back PhillyClassic. Like PhillyClassic 2 or 3 style. Seriously.
    You should of been at Game Core.
    Too Many Games 12
    Friday June 15 - Sunday June 17 Oaks, PA
    www.toomanygames.com

my feedback! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56075

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    I'm gonna agree with Sniderman and the others who say...

who cares?

No offense to Fleming as he seems like a nice guy. Don't know this other guys tresca or whatever. BUT

VGXPO sucks.....GAMEX will probably also suck. I could give a crap less about some industry wanna be E3 games con. I don't care if you have 13,000 mindless idiots in the door or 70,000. I'd much rather go to the mid-west classic in WI, or The Portland,OR show, or CGE.

Why? because they actually focus on classic gaming. They will be smaller, cheaper shows, with more of what I want to see at a show.

There aren't many good classic shows because it's hard to put one on for profit. The crowds at a truly classic games show may break a few grand. you'd never see 50k people.

I can get the experience of vgxpo or gamex from watching E3 coverage on youtube. or walking into my local gamestop.

I see these conventions as what they are. They're a buisness endver for those putting the shows on. They want to sell enough floorspace and tickets to cover expenses and make as big a profit as possible. 70k people in the door no matter if they enjoy it or not is successful. I would venture to bet that although the majority of people I've heard from though the vgxpo sucked, that vgxpo probably made a pretty nice buck if they past 70k through the doors.

Not saying that most Classic shows don't try and turn a profit. They do, but they also try to do so while keeping the theme. Some classic shows don't even break even. So why do they do it? Cause they don't want a E3, they want the classic experience. That's why phillyclassic will forever be the only show that was ever worth going to in philly. I don't know how it did financially. I'm guessing not good enough to continue it, but that's the kind of show that classic gamers want.

Again you should check out Game Core.
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Tens of thousands of people, and over 300 volunteers, just for lil ole VGXPO? Gosh, that's just swell.
    It was a really impressive show. I've done over 80 conventions and I was very impressed with the staffing and help in the retrocon room. In fact, I'd place the show in my top 5 for staffing service.

Retrocon wasn't perfect (museum sucked), but VGXPO demonstrated a real consideration for classic gaming to me last year and I am really excited to be returning to the retrocon section for this year.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I think I might be going to both this year. Definitely going to VGXPO, I read over the website and it looks like it's going to be very good. Mind you I've never been to this before.

GameX doesn't seem to have enough info out there though to get me really interested though. But I might go anyway.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vgxpo made my nintendo very happy today complete qix, crackout,balloon fight and a few more black box games also uforia 2 hong kong white carts and a really strange color color dreams game.

Anyway. Very happy and its only friday.
    Last edited by mindlesspunk77; 10-12-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Yeah same, I had a good time. I managed to win 2 copies of Wario Land Shake It and a copy of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon for DS along with getting a DSi USB to SD card converter from the Nintendo booth today.

Nintendo booth rocked the rest of convention. Especially with it's New Super Mario Bros. Wii demos!

Can't wait for tommorow and Sunday.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanna let you guys know since this is a PA area gaming thread that the Game Core 2010 show has been announced. I made a thread in the Events forum here and you can check the website at www.gamecorecon.com
    Too Many Games 12
    www.toomanygames.com