Thread: Sega CD Boot Screen Freeze

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Sega CD Boot Screen Freeze

I searched around over the last couple of days to see if anyone else had a similar issue but nothing really came up so, here's my issue:

Saturday I picked up a pretty large lot of Sega stuff. Out of all of it the only thing that doesn't work is the Model 2 Sega CD. When powered up, the Ver. 2.00 "space" scene appears but there's no music or logo. Also, the spindle doesn't spin and the laser doesn't move. The lid is a bit wonky and doesn't always want to pop open when the release button is pressed. Even if the system is not detecting that the lid is shut, I would think the music would still play and a "Insert Disc" prompt would appear. I also tested this without controllers plugged in but that shouldn't cause this issue.

Any ideas?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Open it up and have a look inside. Make sure that the CD drive assembly is connected and that the gears aren't melted or something. You should also inspect the disc lid for obstructions, breaks, etc.

As for the music, make sure it's properly connected to whatever Genesis you're using. Is the Genesis a Model 1 or 2? Regardless, clean the connector on the Genesis, and check for dust in the slot of the Sega CD.

I just got my Sega CD Model 2 (2.00 BIOS) and you should indeed be getting music when it turns on, even without a controller or a disc inserted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, the SegaCD... a wonderful and often-wonky bit of hardware.

I had one once that didn't play a burned copy of Sonic 1 MegaMix (would freeze before the title screen). However, after switching to a different Sega Genesis, it ran fine on the same SCD.

So, if you have another Genesis around, try using it instead and see what happens, as the freeze may be the fault of either piece of hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Ah, the SegaCD... a wonderful and often-wonky bit of hardware.

I had one once that didn't play a burned copy of Sonic 1 MegaMix (would freeze before the title screen). However, after switching to a different Sega Genesis, it ran fine on the same SCD.

So, if you have another Genesis around, try using it instead and see what happens, as the freeze may be the fault of either piece of hardware.
    That's the first thing I tried. Both Gennys (the one I got in the lot and my own personal one) are both original Model 1's.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll take it apart and see what's up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't messed with it yet, but the Model 1 supposedly requires a "mixing cable" from the headphone jack to the Sega CD. It's just a standard stereo cable. However, I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just got done taking it apart. The gears look fine and the laser assembly moves back and forth with ease. I checked every connector and they were all seated properly. I did clean some old soda off of the lid and tray area but I didn't see any stains on the inside. Before I reassembled everything I moved the laser assembly away from the spindle to see if the system would move it on power up. I also cleaned the Genesis interface connectors.

Once I got everything back together I powered it back up and...same as before. I heard the assembly move to the spindle and the laser is active (I can see light coming from it) but all I get is a frozen screen with the planet background and the BIOS version.