Thread: Why is Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel more expensive on PS2 than XBox?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why is Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel more expensive on PS2 than XBox?

I've been looking for this PS2 side-story set in the Fallout universe but I refuse to pay more than $10 for a complete (preferably sealed) PS2 game that goes for next to nothing on the original Xbox.

It looks like a cool shooter and it must have had a high production run being a Fallout game but I can't find it cheap anywhere. I have never seen it in stores.

Can anyone explain the phenomenon?

Edit: It's Brotherhood of STEEL (as mentioned below... thanks) not MAN. Must have Resistance on my mind. Anyone know where to score a cheap copy of PS2 Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?
    Last edited by fishsandwich; 04-24-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added something
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Consoles always seem to have a hierarchy of cost. In this case, because the PS2 is the far and away most owned console, more people want the PS2 version of any game. That makes PS2 versions more expensive. At least, that would be reasonable logic if Nintendo weren't around messing things up. For some odd reason, that logic never seems to apply to Nintendo. Gamecube versions tend to go for more than their PS2 counterparts.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default kt56

Fallout: Brotherhood of Man does not compute. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel does compute. Perhaps your looking for Fallout: Brotherhood of Man and getting bad search's because of the incorrect name?

I do not remember seeing this game on the store shelves, when it was brand new and just out. It might have gotten a lower print run on the ps2?
    I also think that fallout 3 has possibly increased the value of both games, then it was before the game came out. I managed to snag one for $12-15, about 2 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just sold my copy a couple weeks ago, finished the game, it was pretty good in my opinion.
    Rarity guide addict. ASK For TRADES
    650+ different NES carts!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interplay was flat broke when they put this game out, i'd imagine the print run was small. There was no second printing.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

So get the xbox version? If you don't already have the system it sounds like the perfect time to get one. They're cheap enough, the games are inexpensive, and there's some great exclusives for it. And as you already pointed out the ports are usually cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This may just be stating the obvious, but the PS2 version of a game is almost always more expensive than the Xbox version. It doesn't matter if it's Gamestop, Ebay, or local used game stores. I've always thought the reason was you could still buy a PS2 to play the game on as opposed to the Xbox being a "dead" console.

It's extra confusing when you factor in how the Xbox version always looks better than the PS2 version of the same game and the fact that publishers always made more PS2 copies than Xbox copies.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another consideration is backwards compatability. Many PS3 owners can stick this game right in the their system and go, while the Xbox version would require pulling out a "dead" console to hook to the TV for only that one game.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    So get the xbox version? If you don't already have the system it sounds like the perfect time to get one. They're cheap enough, the games are inexpensive, and there's some great exclusives for it. And as you already pointed out the ports are usually cheaper.
    Believe me, I have pondered getting an Xbox for years. Unfortunately, I have an obsessive-compulsive disorder and I would start buying dozens of Xbox games and then it would get all ugly from there. My partner has a PS3 and it's all I can do to keep from going crazy on all the PS2 games I never got to play.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    Believe me, I have pondered getting an Xbox for years. Unfortunately, I have an obsessive-compulsive disorder and I would start buying dozens of Xbox games and then it would get all ugly from there. My partner has a PS3 and it's all I can do to keep from going crazy on all the PS2 games I never got to play.
    Well, then it seems like your choices are A) Get over yourself, and get an XBox and the game (which would probably end up costing you $60-70 overall...before you go all no self-control and blow thousands) , or B) Pony up the $25 it goes for on eBay for the PS2.

I know what makes sense, but then again...people collect sealed games...so what the hell do I know about sense?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed that with a lot of other games. The Xbox versions of the following games are cheaper and more available than their PS2 versions:

Futurama
    Fatal Frame
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Xbox versions of multiplatform releases also tend to have the best framerates and other technicaly prettiness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    It's extra confusing when you factor in how the Xbox version always looks better than the PS2 version of the same game and the fact that publishers always made more PS2 copies than Xbox copies.
    ALMOST always. :P

But yea, I make it a habit to snap up the Xbox release of a multiplatform title unless the PS2 version is either better or has more content (such as Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance).

Also, I found Brotherhood of Steel to be a confusingly named piece of junk. In addition to making conversations about favorite / least favorite Fallout games more confusing than they needed to be, the game was just horribly balanced and poorly written. Actually, it was a lot like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II in every way, especially with regard to how much of a disappointment it was.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    I've been looking for this PS2 side-story set in the Fallout universe but I refuse to pay more than $10 for a complete (preferably sealed) PS2 game that goes for next to nothing on the original Xbox.

It looks like a cool shooter and it must have had a high production run being a Fallout game but I can't find it cheap anywhere. I have never seen it in stores.

Can anyone explain the phenomenon?

Edit: It's Brotherhood of STEEL (as mentioned below... thanks) not MAN. Must have Resistance on my mind. Anyone know where to score a cheap copy of PS2 Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?
    It goes for $20 based on the past few Ebay auctions I have seen. You missed the $10 price point for the PS2 version which it hit when KB and some of the other places with excess PS2 stock dumped it in late 2008. Not to be a jerk about this, but if you're not willing to fork out $20 for a sealed PS2 game, it's probably not a game you need to own anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    I've noticed that with a lot of other games. The Xbox versions of the following games are cheaper and more available than their PS2 versions:

Futurama
    Fatal Frame
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
    Another one for the list: Guilty Gear X2. The Xbox version (Guilty Gear X2 #Reload) is slightly better than the PS2 one by virtue of having online play and some minor game-engine tweaks, but the PS2 release routinely goes for twenty to thirty bucks more than the dirt-cheap Xbox title. The PS2 version might be less common, but it's not hard to find by any measure.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Also, I found Brotherhood of Steel to be a confusingly named piece of junk. In addition to making conversations about favorite / least favorite Fallout games more confusing than they needed to be, the game was just horribly balanced and poorly written. Actually, it was a lot like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II in every way, especially with regard to how much of a disappointment it was.
    Sure they're no where near the quality of the PC versions but the Baldur's Gate games are a lot of fun multiplayer. I recently snagged Fallout: BoS new from FYE for $5 but haven't tried it yet, but if it's as good as the Baldur's Gate games I should like it.

I'm surprised you thought Dark Alliance 2 was a disappointment as it's generally regarded as the best of the interplay diablo clone.