Thread: Original Xbox schematic (SMD component values)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original Xbox schematic (SMD component values)

I have an Xbox from a family member that I promised I would try to repair. The issue is that it looks like somebody stepped on the video cord while it was plugged in and totally broke the connector. I ended up totally removing the broken connector and trying to solder RCA jacks onto the correct leads on the PCB to try to get video output. I did manage to get a single sound channel, but had no luck with composite video. I never tried tapping the luminance signal, because I finally realized the problem...

Many of the surface mount components near the plug had been broken off and were long gone. Is there any way I can identify these component values so that I can try to replace them? I thought about just bridging the connections, but I definitely don't want to damage my TV. This is probably more trouble than it's worth, I am just curious. Since I am getting the Xbox for free if I can't fix it, I would feel guilty if I didn't try everything.

If I can't fix it I may want to harvest the RAM chips from it, but that seems like quite a task in its own right.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the CPU schematic and a couple of prototype motherboards, but i don't have the motherboard schematic.

Honestly, fixing that is going to be far more trouble then it's worth. The motherboard is multi-layer. If there's that much damage to it, you're really not going to fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

That is a really big "if" for an xbox. They're available by the dozen here for $40US apiece. I agree with PA that the board is probably not worth repairing. Who knows how many traces may have been broken? Are you going to jumper all of those together? You would be better off getting a new box or swapping the board out from a known-good box. Make a snack tray (with retractable cup holder) or something.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the board is not too damaged, it was just 5-10 small capacitors or resistors that were missing. No traces looked damaged. The only reason I am concerning myself with it is because I promised I would try to fix it. If I don't try every reasonable method of repair then I will feel guilty keeping it.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026