Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Worthless Items in Your Collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had a piece of paper tucked into the instruction manual for Midnight Mutants on the Atari 7800. The paper had a full map, some unrelated sketches, and my highest scores with dates. I always pulled that piece of paper out whenever I would play the game, but I can't seem to find it now. That makes me sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    My e-reader stuff. I don't know why I like it so much
    Completely agreed, oddly enough. I was just thinking to myself the other day: "I've GOT to get around to finding ALL of these e-reader cards!"

As far as worthless in my collection, I would say the notecard I found tucked into my Game Genie code book. I got the book for $1, and the card has written on it the Konami Code (albeit with a couple "extra steps" at the end, but it would obviously still work). I dunno why, but I was just really amused by a 20ish-year-old notecard with a cheat code on it. (Maybe because games these days don't have (or don't need?) cheat codes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine would have to be my Pocketstation for the PSone. It's brand new, when I moved my girlfriend said what is it and why am I keeping it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a letter from Datasoft thanking me for submitting my game ideas, but that they had plenty of ideas to keep them going for a while. I used to sketch out video games on paper all the time, and I sent a few in to different companies. I was 10, what did I know?

My brother was really into Might and Magic on the c64. I still have the original box, discs and manual, and most importantly: neatly drawn maps of every single dungeon in the game that he made. It's really cool.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the original Maniac Mansion box for PC, don't ask me why, but I love it.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

For me it's the receipt that came with my PS3. I bought it CIB for 150 and in the manual is the original receipt for 600.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    I have a letter from Datasoft thanking me for submitting my game ideas, but that they had plenty of ideas to keep them going for a while. I used to sketch out video games on paper all the time, and I sent a few in to different companies. I was 10, what did I know?

My brother was really into Might and Magic on the c64. I still have the original box, discs and manual, and most importantly: neatly drawn maps of every single dungeon in the game that he made. It's really cool.
    ha, one time after Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube came out but before it was remade as SMC + for PS2, PC and Xbox I had written a letter to Nintendo power stating my interest in seeing the Game Gear games, Sonic CD and any other games they could possibly cram onto GameCube discs and that the idea should be suggested to Sega.

The reply I got was "we like to see what our consumers are interested in but can't guarantee the Mega Collection sequels as you suggested", basically meaning that it's possible but not guaranteed to happen.

Well it looks like somebody liked my idea which other people may have shared and notified them of as well, because all the Game Gear games were then added as unlockables on Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Mega Collection Plus came out after a while longer, and then finally Sonic Gems Collection. It seems that some game devlopers listen if an idea is heard over and over again by numerous people.

Besides that letter I received back, I have a file cabinet full of old video game related writings I made. These listed things like level names in platformer games. Items, spells, monsters and characters in RPGs. Even maps on graph paper showing all the rooms in the Oddworld games for Playstation and locations of all the mudokons. Dungeon Maps for Zelda II. All kinds of stuff like that.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I really like these worthless coins that came with Street Fighter IV if you preordered it. I actually didn't pre-order the game, but the guy at Gamecrazy gave me two for free since he saw I liked the game so much.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

power glove with no antena receiver

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To everyone that has said that they have their own home made maps for games - please scan them. I'd love to see them. I love stuff like that

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Besides that letter I received back, I have a file cabinet full of old video game related writings I made. These listed things like level names in platformer games. Items, spells, monsters and characters in RPGs. Even maps on graph paper showing all the rooms in the Oddworld games for Playstation and locations of all the mudokons. Dungeon Maps for Zelda II. All kinds of stuff like that.
    Sounds cool. Mind showing some off one day?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lets see:

-You know those plastic posters that stick to glass (so the store can put it on the inside of the glass case and you can see the advertisement on top)? The day MarkKart64 was released, the lady at Sears (who was an old friend) took the MK64 plastic advert out and gave it to me for free, alone with my game.
    -I have a piece of paper in my Sonic 2 game box with all the codes on it that a friend wrote for me back in 5th grade.
    -That same friend gave me a kickass image he drew of Reptile eating Smoke.
    -Nintendo Power #101, the first Nintendo Power I ever bought. Had a great article on Tamagotchi GB, which I bought a month later.
    -Nintendo Power #30, came from my favorite gameshop before it changed hands and started to suck.
    -Harvest Moon (SNES), came from the same gameshop. I think I got both the book and the game on the same day.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have the receipt for the first game I ever bought from my husband. When we first met he took over the store I thought I was getting but instead he ended up training me. That piece of paper is a symbol of our beginning and how much we both love games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    I still have the receipt for the first game I ever bought from my husband. When we first met he took over the store I thought I was getting but instead he ended up training me. That piece of paper is a symbol of our beginning and how much we both love games.
    That's adorable~

And it reminded me that somewhere around here I have a copy of my receipt from TRU for Game & Watch Gallery when it was new.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hmmm, that's a tricky question. In terms of the sheer amount of enjoyment I've gotten out of a nearly worthless item, probably my huge collection of Nintendo Power magazines. Every summer I read through a few of them cover to cover, and I still have a mountain more to get through. I often base my summer gaming around what I'm reading too. If I'm reading about a game I own and have never beaten, I'll generally pull it out. When I bought the collection, I spent around 50 bucks on it, but if I tried to sell it, I bet I wouldn't even get that much. You're lucky if you can get a quarter out of each, but just thinking about getting back into them makes me smile. They're an essential part of my summer experience these last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Mine would have to be my Pocketstation for the PSone. It's brand new, when I moved my girlfriend said what is it and why am I keeping it.
    I have really got to get around to grabbing one of these...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

I'd have to say my favorite item would be this Master System FAQ I read religiously back in the summer of 2000. It was right at the beginning of my collecting, and I must have read that thing through and through 50 times. I still have it, and keep it in a three ring binder. It was really instrumental in me getting interested in console histories as well.

Makes me want to try and track down Jeff Bogumill (spelling?), the fellow who wrote it. See what he's upto these days.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Mine would have to be my clear Game Boy. I've posted pictures of it (and the story surrounding them) around here before, but anyway I got it when I was four years old along with Super Mario Land 2 and Kirby's Pinball Land to keep me entertained while I was in the hospital with a broken femur. One day at home, some months down the line, I was in Wario's castle on the very last couple of screens when I lost my last life. I was so furious, I slammed my forehead into the screen and then whimpered a little when I saw the liquid crystal begin to flow.

The only thing it's good for now is a little blindfolded gaming simulation, but I don't know how I'd ever get rid of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I have a ton of Mario/Nintendo toys and stuffed things, plastic toys etc. but the one I like is one from the 80's and it's a rubber/plastic? Mario jumping over a turtle. I don't know what it is about this one. I think it's before they redesigned Mario(you know over the years they have redesigned everyone Chucky Cheese, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse and yes even Mario. Think not check out the colors of his pants!). The colors aren't all bright. It's old. Some things they just can't capture anymore. I saw it in a bag of toys at a swap meet and asked the lady if I could open it and buy just one toy. She said yes. Which they normally don't. But yeah. Stupid cheap junk that I love. 1$ well worth it. It's my favorite.

Cool thread.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

My r/b/y and g/s/c era pokemon games, including both first stadiums and snap that I lost the inner tray from, In addition of being in excellent condition I really played the hell out of those games when I was younger. Others are my first console, the PS, which holds a lot of sentimental value (too bad I lost the box so I have to get another one eventually), my GBC, which is the first console I bought with my own money, and the Zelda oracle games which kept me entertained for hours and hours. Those were my first Zelda games I believe. I've always loved a couple of official Sonic posters from the adventure era that I bought from a store just when they were discontinued, back when I was getting into Sonic. My pretty beat up copy of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle holds a lot of value for me also, since it's the game that eventually led me to meet my boyfriend for almost 5 years now, on top of being one of my favorite games.

Some newer items are probably my Castlevania music samplers, just because I really, really like them, and a Japanese advertisement poster of Grandia, which is my favorite RPG alongside Skies of Arcadia.
    Last edited by HYB; 04-26-2009 at 03:43 AM.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.