Thread: Nvidia's GT300 will have completely new architecture and reach 3 TFLOPS performance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Nvidia's GT300 will have completely new architecture and reach 3 TFLOPS performance!

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...s-a-cgpu!.aspx

nVidia's GT300 specifications revealed - it's a cGPU!
    4/22/2009 by: Theo Valich - Get more from this author

Over the past six months, we heard different bits'n'pieces of information when it comes to GT300, nVidia's next-gen part. We decided to stay silent until we have information confirmed from multiple sources, and now we feel more confident to disclose what is cooking in Santa Clara, India, China and other nV sites around the world.

GT300 isn't the architecture that was envisioned by nVidia's Chief Architect, former Stanford professor Bill Dally, but this architecture will give you a pretty good idea why Bill told Intel to take a hike when the larger chip giant from Santa Clara offered him a job on the Larrabee project.

Thanks to Hardware-Infos, we managed to complete the puzzle what nVidia plans to bring to market in couple of months from now.
    What is GT300?

Even though it shares the same first two letters with GT200 architecture [GeForce Tesla], GT300 is the first truly new architecture since SIMD [Single-Instruction Multiple Data] units first appeared in graphical processors.

GT300 architecture groups processing cores in sets of 32 - up from 24 in GT200 architecture. But the difference between the two is that GT300 parts ways with the SIMD architecture that dominate the GPU architecture of today. GT300 Cores rely on MIMD-similar functions [Multiple-Instruction Multiple Data] - all the units work in MPMD mode, executing simple and complex shader and computing operations on-the-go. We're not exactly sure should we continue to use the word "shader processor" or "shader core" as these units are now almost on equal terms as FPUs inside latest AMD and Intel CPUs.

GT300 itself packs 16 groups with 32 cores - yes, we're talking about 512 cores for the high-end part. This number itself raises the computing power of GT300 by more than 2x when compared to the GT200 core. Before the chip tapes-out, there is no way anybody can predict working clocks, but if the clocks remain the same as on GT200, we would have over double the amount of computing power.

If for instance, nVidia gets a 2 GHz clock for the 512 MIMD cores, we are talking about no less than 3TFLOPS with Single-Precision. Dual precision is highly-dependant on how efficient the MIMD-like units will be, but you can count on 6-15x improvement over GT200.

This is not the only change - cluster organization is no longer static. The Scratch Cache is much more granular and allows for larger interactivity between the cores inside the cluster. GPGPU e.g. GPU Computing applications should really benefit from this architectural choice. When it comes to gaming, the question is obviously - how good can GT300 be? Please do bear in mind that this 32-core cluster will be used in next-generation Tegra, Tesla, GeForce and Quadro cards.

This architectural change should result in dramatic increase in Dual-Precision performance, and if GT300 packs enough registers - performance of both Single-Precision and Dual-Precision data might surprise all the players in the industry. Given the timeline when nVidia begun work on GT300, it looks to us like GT200 architecture was a test for real things coming in 2009.

Just like the CPU, GT300 gives direct hardware access [HAL] for CUDA 3.0, DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1 and OpenCL. You can also do direct programming on the GPU, but we're not exactly sure would development of such a solution that be financially feasible. But the point in question is that now you can do it. It looks like Tim Sweeney's prophecy is slowly, but certainly - coming to life.

3 TFLOPS would be extremely impressive, given that GT200/ GTX280 was just short of 1 TFLOP, providing about 0.933 TFLOPs when first introduced, not counting overclocked chips which can reach 1+ TFLOP.

AMD's RV770 GPU, used in Radeon 4850, 4870 and 4870X2, reaches 1.2 TFLOPS per GPU, so a 4870X2 gets 2.4 TFLOPS on one card.

It wouldn't be difficult for Nvidia to produce dual GPU cards with 5-6 TFLOPS using the new GT300!
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 04-25-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The graphic cards are getting out of hands, I am reading in PC magazines some GF cards now require 2 (two) power strips from the PSU, needing at least 500 Watts. What? My whole PC only uses 250W.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Yeah some of this stuff is nuts. I'm really impressed by voodoo/HP's latest firebird desktop which uses laptop graphics its very energy efficient.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Finally...I can play Minesweeper in the 1080p it rightfully deserves.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And it still only gets 30fps in "Crysis".

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I'm starting to think Crysis is hardlocked at 30fps to help sell video cards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

And I'm sure it will have the "low low price" of 800 bucks.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    And I'm sure it will have the "low low price" of 800 bucks.
    That's ok with me, because either way the current high end cards will plummet in price and everything else will follow. I love when new video cards come out because it just makes the $150 price point all the sweeter.

Can't wait to see how many more tasks the GPU takes over once they start rolling in this much horsepower. Nice to see physics being handled by the GPU now and it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I'm still pretty happy with my 8800 GTX. Your right though, it pushes the price point down on the "old" cards. The 285 is a sweet card as well.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The graphic cards are getting out of hands, I am reading in PC magazines some GF cards now require 2 (two) power strips from the PSU, needing at least 500 Watts. What? My whole PC only uses 250W.
    Yeah, the Radeon HD 4870 in my lovely new Mac Pro requires two extra power connections from the MoBo. Although strangely, a Quadro FX 4800 for Mac only requires one extra power connector.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

I might buy one. I had extra cash a couple years ago when I built a new PC. I coughed up $600 for an 8800gtx (around launch). I thought it was too much, but everyone is entitles to splurge now and then. The 8800gtx has lasted longer than I would have imagined. I can still play some of the newest games at 1920x1200 with max settings. It was worth it.

It is likely this new card will use less power than the 8800GTX. Also it's power will make SLI irrelevant so you can save on the cost of a motherboard. Claims are also being made that you don't even need a top of the line CPU anymore for gaming as long as you have a top of the line GPU. You may not see any bottlenecking with an older (relatively) CPU. Intels i7's may not be needed...

Going to need to upgrade to a 30" LCD with the 2560x1920 resolution...now that's expensive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I haven't bought a new video cards in years (using an x1900XT w/512MB), but that's because at this point there isn't anything on the PC I 'gotta have' that runs slow. Really, I should say that there hasn't been anything on the PC at all that I gotta have - I'm still playing older games. Anything newer is on a console now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Claims are also being made that you don't even need a top of the line CPU anymore for gaming as long as you have a top of the line GPU. You may not see any bottlenecking with an older (relatively) CPU. Intels i7's may not be needed...
    As long as we have CPU hungry emulators (like MAME and BSNES), we'll have a need for faster and more efficient CPUs

Still waiting for the day when the various Naomi and Model 3 hardwares are playable at full speed in MAME. *swoon*

edit - oh man, and it'd be totally rad if it were possible to emulate glide in a VirtualPC environment. Are there any VMs that support such wonder? Hell, even early D3D would be nice for wonky stuff that doesn't play well on modern hardware without extensive tweaking and hacking (Independence War, Interstate 76).
    Last edited by roushimsx; 04-25-2009 at 06:29 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    As long as we have CPU hungry emulators (like MAME and BSNES), we'll have a need for faster and more efficient CPUs

Still waiting for the day when the various Naomi and Model 3 hardwares are playable at full speed in MAME. *swoon*

edit - oh man, and it'd be totally rad if it were possible to emulate glide in a VirtualPC environment. Are there any VMs that support such wonder? Hell, even early D3D would be nice for wonky stuff that doesn't play well on modern hardware without extensive tweaking and hacking (Independence War, Interstate 76).
    I'd be content with people emulating earlier versions of DirectX properly. I have games that won't run in modern systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post

True dat.

Recently Windows 7 has been shown to run Windows XP using virtualization. Hopefully it will function with other OS's and overcome some of the limitations as far as video memory and such.