Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Nintendo "original" controllers: How many kinds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Nintendo "original" controllers: How many kinds?

I was going through my parents' storage and found some boxes from my days at Nintendo. Inside I found some SNES controllers. Most had the familiar "Super Nintendo" text printed on the front, like so:

But some have the Nintendo logo engraved on the controller, like this:

(both are hotlinks, forgive me internet gods)

So what's the difference? I notice that on the engraved version, it actually has the super famicom logo on the back next to the SNES logo, and has the model no. SNS-102, whereas the more common version has model number SNS-005.

Any thoughts?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PacmanPlush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yo, 'sup homeboy?

The SNS-102 came with the Model 2 SNES, the smaller one.

The fact that it has several logos on the back was just a cost-cutting measure, so the same mold could be used in all regions.

This is why the front of the controller only says "Nintendo" instead of having the whole Super Nintendo logo like the original SNS-005.
    Last edited by PacmanPlush; 04-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone actually know why it's only the American pads that have concave X and Y buttons?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PacmanPlush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Does anyone actually know why it's only the American pads that have concave X and Y buttons?
    The same reason why they're the only ones with purple buttons.

In North America, the SNES came out several months after its release in Japan, giving time for the redesigned controller. Ergonomics and all that.

Why this change wasn't kept for the even later European release, or why the controllers weren't similarly redesigned for Japan, I don't think anyone really knows. Probably a lack of communication between NOA, NOJ, and NOE, or it would've been an inconvenience- the multicolored buttons used on the J/EU controllers might have something to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I suspected as much, but the SFC logo on the back threw me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like the multicoloured, my first SNES was a Super Fami and I was sad when it was all purple when it came out here.

One of the reasons why I used my ASCII pad more than any other controller. My Super Fami controllers had like a footlong cord I swear.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Could that mean my SNES controllers with the embossed logo could not be fakes? I remember seeming a thread that was saying some where bootlegs.

Their boxes look like the one in this pic. The sticker around the buttons seemed to have yellowed a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They could be fakes. I have a Sega Saturn USB controller from ebay and you cannot tell that it's a fake by the packaging because it looks and feels genuine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Yea, I'll probably ask again when I get home sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Super Nintendo "original" controllers: How many kinds?"

1, duh. After any change it's no longer the original controller!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PacmanPlush View Post
    The same reason why they're the only ones with purple buttons.

In North America, the SNES came out several months after its release in Japan, giving time for the redesigned controller. Ergonomics and all that.

Why this change wasn't kept for the even later European release, or why the controllers weren't similarly redesigned for Japan, I don't think anyone really knows. Probably a lack of communication between NOA, NOJ, and NOE, or it would've been an inconvenience- the multicolored buttons used on the J/EU controllers might have something to do with it.
    Legend has it that NOA fucked up their button order and didn't have time to fix it for the release....

I have no idea if that's true though!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DESIGN DIFFERENCES
    Nintendojo interview with NOA designer Lance Barr
    http://www.nintendojo.com/interviews...php?1130801472

This will give a little insight to the decisions that were made with different console localizations. Lance designed the Original Model 1 North American NES and SNES, among other things.

I don't know who actually designed the SNES controllers, perhaps Gunpei Yokoi. They definitely match the color scheme and aesthetic to Lance's design.

CONVEX & CONCAVE
    I can assume based on my experience with design and also with common sense that the buttons vary in concave and convex so that the user can locate the correct button in the heat of the action without looking down at the buttons. This is a common thing on cell phone and keyboard number pads, with the number 5 having a small nub as orientation for the user.

You have to remember that prior to the snes, most consoles had either two buttons next to each other, or the Sega had three, next to each other, with the 6-button coming out after the SNES controller as retaliation and as a logical response to SFII/MK madness. So, most users were probably not used to a second row of buttons that were not offset in some way. They most likely found this out during testing, so they decied to make a convex/concave tactile identity to the keys that was not irritating, but natural to use for subliminal finger movements.

Sony used the same arrangement of buttons on their PSX pads, no doubt because Sony and Nintendo worked together in some SNES/Play Station dev. However, I found myself sometimes losing orientation on a frantic PSX game because all the buttons are convex!

FAKE CONTROLLERS
    I f***ing hate bootleg controllers because the quality is garbage and the fleaBay sellers use devious tactics to con a sale. I never fell for it *ever*. Some friends did though.

THIS IS A REAL SNES CONTROLLER, SEALED
    http://www.warpzonevideogames.com/eb...ersealed_a.jpg
    http://www.warpzonevideogames.com/eb...ersealed_b.jpg

Note the horizontal seam that is only done by Official Nintendo packaging. If anyone claims that is a sealed SNES controller and it's official, but there's no H-seam, its a damned fake. The fake controller box shown a few posts above look similar too, as if scanned from the original. The visual difference I can see in the graphic is ink retention, color crush, tone-pattern, gloss-sheen and the difference in the shade of green on the little box on the front, left-center.

I hope I've helped a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one with the engraved Nintendo logo is a fake. They flood ebay, making it next to impossible to find a legit controller. They suck.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    The one with the engraved Nintendo logo is a fake. They flood ebay, making it next to impossible to find a legit controller. They suck.
    Not necessarily. Like PacmanPlush said, the SNS-102, which came with the Model 2, had the Nintendo logo engraved on it.

They were the last model sold separately here in Brazil. I bought two boxed, unused ones once and got really suspicious when I saw the engraved logo - although they played flawlessly, much different than the Yobo crap I'd bought before. After some googling, I found this thread, the very one that got me into these forums.

Take a look at it, it really enlightening on that matter. You'll also see some pics of the brazilian SNES pad box, which is really cool.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Agreed. My friend Melanie only buys 1st party Nintendo hardware and she has these controllers also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

99% chance they're fake

The company I work for has had a chance to distribute those for years but we never have because they're fake. We know the factory where they're being made and I can tell you that they have absolutely no link to Nintendo whatsoever.

Only reason I'm not 100% sure is it's possible that real Nintendo controllers like those are available elsewhere in the world but not the U.S.

Wholesale price is below $2 and you get what you pay for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As has already been stated, there's an excellent chance they're legitimate. That was the design Nintendo went to when they launched the SuperNes redesign and were sold in retailers as replacement controllers in boxes like were already posted around 1998 or so in the US.

I have a redesigned SuperNes I bought in 1998/1999 or so at Wal-Mart brand new here in its box to act as a spare console if its ever needed, and that's the style of controller it came with.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tofu, check the link I posted. I have both of them, the original AND the counterfeits, and the difference is enormous - although both have the Nintendo logo engraved. From what I can see in the OPs picture, it's almost certainly a SNS-102 - the D-pad on most counterfeits is a little different, as is the shade of gray of the pad's plastic.

A good way to know if we're dealing with a fake pad is to check the cable's lenght. I've never seen a counterfeit with a long cable, like my SNS-102 has. But, in fact, you don't even have to see that: if you have the original SNS-005, like the OP does, just compare how they feel, how they play. There's no way a fake one will be as good as the original and, if both models feel the same, chances are good you have a SNS-102 on your hands.

On a final note, I personally think the SNS-102 looks cooler.
    Last edited by thom_m; 05-10-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, for types, these are the ones I know:
    *Original SFC pads (JP)
    *Original SNES Pads (EU)
    *Original SNES Pads (US)
    *Redesigned Pads (SNES 2)

Trust me. I use internet, I own an original late 1991/early 1992 SNES, and one of my friends has an 1997 SNES 2. I am good with the SNessies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Tofu, check the link I posted. I have both of them, the original AND the counterfeits, and the difference is enormous - although both have the Nintendo logo engraved. From what I can see in the OPs picture, it's almost certainly a SNS-102 - the D-pad on most counterfeits is a little different, as is the shade of gray of the pad's plastic.

A good way to know if we're dealing with a fake pad is to check the cable's lenght. I've never seen a counterfeit with a long cable, my like SNS-102 has. But, in fact, you don't even have to see that: if you have the original SNS-005, like the OP does, just compare how they feel, how they play. There's no way a fake one will be as good as the original and, if both models feel the same, chances are good you fave a SNS-102 on your hands.

On a final note, I personally think the SNS-102 look cooler.
    Hm... you're right... that link is enlightening.

I still think it's fake though. As a courtesy I never mention another company's name or product but someone has been distributing a fake for quite some time now and the only way to tell is to check the build quality, cable length or weight.