Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Nintendo "original" controllers: How many kinds?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Trust me. I use internet
    I want this on a T-shirt.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No it's not.

I too have seen many fakes. If you read my post above, I've seen my fair f'in share working at gamestores, repairing systems, and just sifting through garage sales. And I have an annoying attention to detail that pisses off the punk kid clerks that work these days who don't know the difference.

Sure, the knockoffs look awfully close...if you squint and stick your head in the fridge. Official, original SNES controllers use the best Japanese plastic, with a fine, uniform microtexture on the outer shell, a hint of bluish-gray cast to the color, and the engraving is always laser sharp. The knockoffs can't even get the damn sticker surrounding the buttons correctly.

Is this even an issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can 100% guarantee that the controllers I have aren't fake, since these controllers came from Nintendo's HQ in Redmond. So unless Nintendo was buying and using fake controllers I'm pretty sure these are legit.

Hmm, if Nintendo did buy and use fake controllers, would that make them legit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    I want this on a T-shirt.
    Now avaiable on coffee mugs and T-shirts at your local Wal Mart!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default box scans

Hi,

Anyone knows where I could download scans of the original super Nintendo controller retail box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Old thread ahoy!

The Saturn USB pads from "SLS" (Sega Logistical Services) are legit.

I can't imagine the SNES pads mentioned in this thread are fakes, either. I think the pads I've gotten with my own Model 2s have the embossed logo.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Grooveraider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Does anyone actually know why it's only the American pads that have concave X and Y buttons?
    According to Lance Barr ( Nintendo's Industrial Product Designer ) the concave X & Y buttons were designed on the Super NES to help U.S. consumers to distinguish the two extra buttons given on the SNES D-Pad. The shoulder buttons were a given - obviously placed above the controller. I'm too lazy to go through my Nintendo Power magazines at the moment but I believe this is also mentioned when Nintendo did their very first expose' on the Super Nintendo system in 1991.

For a closer shot of me and Lance in the pic check out my Flickr page:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grooveraider/3449343469/

Lance Barr was responsible for the case design of the American Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, the toploader redesign of the 8-bit Nintendo Control Deck, and three of the most popular NES accessories: NES Advantage, NES Max, and Zapper. Unexpectedly, I ran into Lance at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3 2003). Luckily having the name badges otherwise I wouldn't have recognized him without his mustache - XD

Lance Barr is still employed by Nintendo and was also instrumental to the design of the Nintendo Wii console.
    Last edited by Grooveraider; 11-26-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    Legend has it that NOA fucked up their button order and didn't have time to fix it for the release....

I have no idea if that's true though!
    Totally false. I know because the designer Lance Barr confirmed it to me
    back in 2003.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Could that mean my SNES controllers with the embossed logo could not be fakes? I remember seeming a thread that was saying some where bootlegs.

Their boxes look like the one in this pic. The sticker around the buttons seemed to have yellowed a bit.

It seems after a long production run of a particular console the companies tend to shift manufacturing to other developers /countries. In other words cheaper labor and other factors. For instance, after the Sega Genesis 2 model ran for a few years the Genesis 3 was developed by Majesco - a New Jersey based company that also morphed as a game development company under a different alias.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What did the original controller box look like? The revised one and the bootlegs use the Mario RPG art, so I'm sure there was a different design before '95.

I've actually been wanting a new SNES pad for some time now, but my main concern is quality. My original pad has seen a LOT of use, and it's starting to feel a little worn, so I'd ultimately like to replace it with the same thing. Still, it would seem that I have a few options available.

What's the build quality and longevity of the different variations? Do the legit embossed controllers stand up to the originals? I'm also thinking about looking for an SFC pad, are they about the same, just different button colors?

(unrelated, but Grooveraider, I absolutely love your video archive)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    What did the original controller box look like? The revised one and the bootlegs use the Mario RPG art, so I'm sure there was a different design before '95.

I've actually been wanting a new SNES pad for some time now, but my main concern is quality. My original pad has seen a LOT of use, and it's starting to feel a little worn, so I'd ultimately like to replace it with the same thing. Still, it would seem that I have a few options available.

What's the build quality and longevity of the different variations? Do the legit embossed controllers stand up to the originals? I'm also thinking about looking for an SFC pad, are they about the same, just different button colors?

(unrelated, but Grooveraider, I absolutely love your video archive)
    I'm glad you dig it ^_^ Tell everyone you know who loves gaming history. It's all
    about bringing visuals to the legacies written in a book like David Scheff's "Game Over".
    Last edited by Grooveraider; 11-28-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Old thread, I know. But really, take a look at this:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...er003.jpg?o=12

The disc around the buttons is yellow, the button text is black, and the buttons look a little... fake.

So there are real and fake SNES controllers with the engraved Nintendo logo. Something to watch out for.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Old thread, I know. ... So there are real and fake SNES controllers with the engraved Nintendo logo. Something to watch out for.
    Yep, it seems so. Packaging itself is crappy too. If I had both I'd be glad to write a comparison review. Needless to say, they do not look too well if you'd stack them up side by side.

Post maybe old, but subject still valid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Were the original snes controller thicker at the top? Or is this something that was done only with the sns-005 models? I recently got an SNES 2 with two sns-005, but I really dont remember them being thicker at the top when I was a kid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that one that BetaWolf47 has the picture of is definitely a fake, same kind that I just got from ebay . Look at where the cable comes out of the controller. Also even though it says Nintendo on the front like the SNS-102 does, on the back it says SNS-005, like the chinese counterfeiters couldn't even get that right. The select and start buttons on the fake are also just hard plastic instead of the rubberized buttons on the real controllers. Also on the plug where it should say Nintendo it doesn't say anything.

Watch out for these fakes on ebay, they will ship them in official packaging but when you open it up its a fake inside