Thread: PS1 Tekken music problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS1 Tekken music problem

I love Tekken. It was literally the only reason I bought a PlayStation upon release. I sold off my PS1 collection in 1999, but reacquired Tekken, along with dozens of other PS1 games, when I bought a PS2 in 2004.

Lately I noticed that my Tekken music "skips". I don't recall if this happened with my original copy back in the day. To be more specific, the first 1 second of the audio track loops at the start of each stage. It seems like it is caused by the switch from reading data to playing the redbook audio. This happens with my relatively new PSOne system in almost every single stage. When I play the disc in my PS2, this music glitch only happens maybe 1 out of 4 times.

I have the original longbox Tekken release, and I wonder if it is a manufacturing/programming defect with this release or if my particular copy of the game is messed up. I'd like to narrow it down before I waste time buying another copy of the game to test.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 copies of the long box version and I don't remember them skipping at all on my old PSX, not even when when the lens wore off and I had to put it sideways. I can't test it right now because I no longer have a PSX and my Slim PS2 is currently stored, I'll test them out if I get the chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the comment.

I wonder if my copy of Tekken has been resurfaced or something. The disc surface appears flawless.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put some turtle wax on the CD, and then take it off with a lint free cloth. Your game will work as good as new 99% of the time. And if it doesnt, in your case its likely a system/lens issue if it doesnt help or as you said a overly resurfaced disk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I played Tekken for an hour tonight on my PS2, and I wasn't able to get the music to skip a single time. It looks like it is just the PSOne. My PSOne is literally almost fresh out of the box, so either it is defective or dirty, or the PSOne in general has some sort of problem with this game.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It happens at random on my GH copy and it's never been resurfaced, so I'm wondering what the hell is wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The interesting part is that it appears the PSOne is actually playing the music 1 second too early. The start of the music is about 2 seconds after the round begins on my PS2. On the PSOne, the music starts about 1 second in, then restarts 1 second later.

I ordered a new 9001 model PlayStation. I hope it doesn't have the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just tried it on my brand new fresh out of the sealed box 9001 model PS1 and it does the exact same thing as the PSOne. At this point I have to assume it is just a problem with my disc and the PS2 is better able to cope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got my hands on another copy of Tekken (longbox identical to the one I already have), and it does the exact same thing. I guess it is either a problem with this pressing of the disc or just a known issue with the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if necroposting is frowned upon here, I just found this forum while trying to figure out which version of Tekken 1 I should buy to replace my (two) Greatest Hits (>_<) copies. The reason I have two? My first GH copy had the exact same music skipping/stuttering problem within the first second of a stage, and it was driving me crazy. The 2nd copy I bought was still GH, but brand new as opposed to the somewhat scratched and buffed copy I originally had. Same problem. I posted on Tekken fansites asking if others had the problem, but I think they were more concerned with the latest games in the series rather than the classics.

Long story short... I'm glad to finally read that someone else has the same problem, and on an entirely different pressing of the disc. My Tekken 1 discs are also the ones that are the first to stop being read whenever my current PS2 laser starts to die / need cleaning. It goes from the occasional 1 second skip at the start of the round, to doing it more often, to not being able to read the BGM files at all, to not being able to read the disc at all. Other PS1 games follow suit a while afterwards. So I'm thinking of just buying a 60GB PS3 and dealing with the problems with that instead of dealing with PS2 lasers any more (also for Tekken 6, haha).

Anyway, so I hate GH editions, I never had any except for Tekken 1 and 2 for whatever reason. I'm gonna rebuy them, Tekken 2 as a black label jewel case, and I'm still undecided about Tekken 1. Was Tekken 1 ever released in a black label standard-size jewel case? I'm just curious. I'll prolly want to track down a longbox, it'd be my first, lol... What longbox versions did it come out as, oversized jewel, cardboard, large plastic? It's hard tracking down which type of longbox release it got, and even if I knew I wouldn't know which one would be preferable, being a longbox virgin and all. ;_;

Sorry for the huge necropost, and thanks for any replies. =x

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofer View Post
    Was Tekken 1 ever released in a black label standard-size jewel case? I'm just curious.
    Yup!

Also, don't worry about necroposting. You're contributing to the discussion, and you're not a spambot, so you're fine. Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ooh, that link was perfect, thank you. XD

That makes two great sites found in one day. :}

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the black label jewel case Tekken 1 and it also has the same music skipping problem but only on the original Playstation. I tried the same disc in my 60GB PS3 and it didn't have the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofer View Post
    Anyway, so I hate GH editions, I never had any except for Tekken 1 and 2 for whatever reason. I'm gonna rebuy them, Tekken 2 as a black label jewel case, and I'm still undecided about Tekken 1. Was Tekken 1 ever released in a black label standard-size jewel case? I'm just curious. I'll prolly want to track down a longbox, it'd be my first, lol... What longbox versions did it come out as, oversized jewel, cardboard, large plastic?
    Due to my testing here, I have a spare longbox Tekken I could sell you. I also have original black label Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 I am selling. I could sell them as a bundle.

I was thinking of tracking down a small jewel non-GH copy for testing, but if the GH copies do the same thing, then I guess it is just a mastering issue with the discs which manifests on the PS1. The PS2 and PS3 must be able to handle the problem.