Thread: Atari 2600 vs Atari Flashback 2

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 2600 vs Atari Flashback 2

I'm looking to buy an Atari Flashback 2. 40 built in games, most of which are ones I'd buy as cartridges. Composite AV output and they made it so the board can accept a cartridge slot wired to it.

Given I can't find the real good titles in stores in my area, am I wrong for wanting to ditch "original hardware" to save on the cash? The RF-only output of those old consoles is what's really turning me away(it may be how they originally looked, but it still looks awful).

True, I could probably dig up a vintage 2600 very cheap via Craigslist but that's nto to say people will have the games I want. There's a guy local selling a Flashback 2 with no AC adaptor for $10... it might be a common type adaptor but I won't buy a console with no way to test it first. I think I saw a FB2 at the Goodwill shop for $25, if it's still there anymore.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The FB2 is fine for a casual collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

you can also mod the flashback 2, and make it play carts. Look it up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah if you're not trying to get all the games or something and just want to play some of the good ol' Atari games I'd say go for it. You've still got emulators if you want to try anything else that is not included, and if you like any of the emulated games so much that you'd buy the real thing, then you can always shoot for a real 2600 or 7800 later when you have more money for it.

System clones and dedicated compilations are good for when you don't want to wear out your collectible systems' hardware, especially controllers.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't the flashback 2 have a bunch of proto or homebrew type games on it? I know it has a few hidden paddle games on it as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apogee_vgc View Post
    Doesn't the flashback 2 have a bunch of proto or homebrew type games on it? I know it has a few hidden paddle games on it as well.
    Wikipedia confirms that, yes.

I could add a cart slot to a FB2, but if i wanted that I could probably get an actual 2600 for dirt cheap. It's got Pitfall, Adventure, etc built in. My only disappointment is that they didn't keep the 7800 functionality of the first Flashback. I like Desert Falcon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, adding a cartridge port to a Flashback 2 sounds like a good idea on paper, but what it comes down to is that you'll need a donor cartridge port from a 2600. Considering Atari built the 2600s like freakin' tanks and are damn near indestructible, finding a dead 2600 to salvage a cart port from seems like a lot of effort. And why bother taking it from a working Atari 2600 when you're basically trying to make a working Atari 2600 from a Flashback 2. It doesn't make a lot of sense. So get the Flashback 2 and enjoy it, and keep your eye on local thrift stores and flea markets for 2600 consoles.

Where are you located at, Diosoth? You can check the Great Video Game Store Map and find a retro game store near your area to find Atari games in. And if not, hopefully someone here might know of a few places in your area.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Well, adding a cartridge port to a Flashback 2 sounds like a good idea on paper, but what it comes down to is that you'll need a donor cartridge port from a 2600. Considering Atari built the 2600s like freakin' tanks and are damn near indestructible, finding a dead 2600 to salvage a cart port from seems like a lot of effort. And why bother taking it from a working Atari 2600 when you're basically trying to make a working Atari 2600 from a Flashback 2. It doesn't make a lot of sense. So get the Flashback 2 and enjoy it, and keep your eye on local thrift stores and flea markets for 2600 consoles.

Where are you located at, Diosoth? You can check the Great Video Game Store Map and find a retro game store near your area to find Atari games in. And if not, hopefully someone here might know of a few places in your area.

Cincinnati area. I know of 3 such stores. One doesn't even buy the 2600 system, another probably charges more than necessary(I think $40 or more) and the 3rd doesn't seem to deal in anything older than the NES.

But I could probably place an ad on the local post office note board and get a call back within 2 days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I wish you had said you were in the Dallas area. I could have given you a list of places to find Atari games as long as your arm!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stelladapter

Buy a Stelladapter and use it to plug in an Atari joystick(or another 9-pin of your choosing) into your computer, now you can play every 2600 game with the real controller. I enjoy playing 2600 games on the real hardware but looking back on it if emulation was as good when I started collecting as it is now I would've thought twice about scouring the thrifts n' fleas like I used to. I say if you don't have nostalgia for the original hardware, then emulate.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

personally I'm hoping to go with a heavy sixer and some rare games soon as I start to collect I believe you can mod the original systems with svideo and composite. Not sure if I want to/should do that to a heavy sixer though..

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RF sucks, i agree. do best of both worlds and get an origional atari 2600 and have it modded for composite...or even S-video

i have a "darth vader" 2600 with rca and s-video and its pretty sweet

mods not really expensive, i think i bought that 2600 for about $70 maybe less

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    RF sucks, i agree. do best of both worlds and get an origional atari 2600 and have it modded for composite...or even S-video

i have a "darth vader" 2600 with rca and s-video and its pretty sweet

mods not really expensive, i think i bought that 2600 for about $70 maybe less
    $70 is well beyond what I'd pay for an Atari 2600, modded or no.

I did check the one previously-mentioned used game store.

Atari 2600 is $50!
    Atari 7800 is $70!!

How about "no way in Hell am I paying that!"

They aren't even checking online prices, I KNOW this place makes up their prices... a used 7800 is about $25 on Amazon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never paid more than $10 for an Atari 2600 system in the wild before.

I'd go with one of those 7800 consoles off Amazon if I were you. You'll get the best of both worlds, Atari 2600 compatibility and Atari 7800 games as a bonus. The 7800 has some pretty good games for it, like Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants, Ms. Pac-Man (by the guys who programmed the arcade game), and so on.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've never paid more than $10 for an Atari 2600 system in the wild before.

I'd go with one of those 7800 consoles off Amazon if I were you. You'll get the best of both worlds, Atari 2600 compatibility and Atari 7800 games as a bonus. The 7800 has some pretty good games for it, like Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants, Ms. Pac-Man (by the guys who programmed the arcade game), and so on.
    I can't now. The $25 console looks to have sold and all that's left are 2 $65 consoles and 1 $85.

Though I can also get a first model Flashback off Amazon for about $2 more than a Desert Falcon cartridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Make a post in the Buying and Selling forum that you're looking for an Atari 7800 - with power supply - for $25. Hopefully someone will hook you up. And ask if anyone can spare a cheaper copy of Desert Falcon than the one on Amazon.