Thread: TV sound turns down automatically...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TV sound turns down automatically...

Hey gang,

I've got an usual problem and I'm at my wit's end. I have a 32" CRT TV, about 3-4 years old. My TV volume keeps turning all the way down by itself. I'll be watching the tube or playing a game when, suddently, the voilume bar pops up and I watch it turn down to 0. Take the remote, turn it back up, let go of the button, it goes back down. This happens randomly without any kind of pattern.

I first thought the remote "down volume" button may be sticking. But a new remote control proved that theory wrong. I opened up the TV and checked out the actual buttons and the switches for the volume seemed to be fine, unstuck, and working OK. There doesn't appear to be any damage to any of the boards and the wiring/connections seem solid at first glance. So I'm at a loss. Any ideas/suggestions? A short? A failed circuit? Ghosts?
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hello Mr. Sniderman,

Check the boards for any bad caps, with swollen ends, etc. Though this is unlikely given the age of the unit and you have said you already gave it a look over. One possibility may be the chip that regulates volume (and other settings) is on its way out, you could be looking at replacing an entire board, they're usually very modular and will probably have the television face buttons mounted on it as well. What type of cable connections are there inside of the television? Any flat ribbons with printed traces on them? Those are notorious for failure.

I'm replacing the flyback in my rear projection television for the second time in seven or eight years since I got it, cheap fix, the key is you need to source the part by searching your brand and model number and usually the keywords 'control module' or similar. There could even be an identifying part number silkscreened on the circuit board in question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check the reciever on the tv. I have had a similar problem in years past. Look on the front of your television, somewhere you'll see a little black spot, or a shaded spot of some kind. That's where the TV recieves the signal from the remote. It's possible that this is your problem. Also, have you moved anything lately? The tv, or any lighting, or anything else that may generate an infrared signal? That could also be your problem. Other than that, the input chip that recieves the volume signal, or the button itself is bad. That's all I've got for you.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbo42 View Post
    Check the reciever on the tv. I have had a similar problem in years past. Look on the front of your television, somewhere you'll see a little black spot, or a shaded spot of some kind. That's where the TV recieves the signal from the remote. It's possible that this is your problem. Also, have you moved anything lately? The tv, or any lighting, or anything else that may generate an infrared signal? That could also be your problem. Other than that, the input chip that recieves the volume signal, or the button itself is bad. That's all I've got for you.

I've heard the occasional story about someone's neighbor inadvertently operating their set because they own a similar TV. Also if there's another TV in the house, sometimes remotes can interfere with another set. Sometimes they don't even have to be branded the same for this to happen.

I would recommend testing any other remote (TV or not) in the house with the television in question. If there's no interference issues, then I'd put a piece of electrical or duct tape over the port for a few days and see if you experience the same problems.

Anyway that's my two cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to vote for ghosts!

Actually there is only one thing I can think of that is related. That would be the TVs that had the feature where the sound was automatically adjusted when a loud show or commercial came on. If your TV has that feature, then maybe it is registering something wrong and adjusts the sound all the way to zero.

If that's not it, then it is most certainly ghosts!