Thread: Miner 2049er & Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Miner 2049er & Bounty Bob Strikes Back

There are multiple console versions of both of these games, and I intend to eventually catch 'em all, but I'd like to start with the best versions of each. Thus, I beg you to answer: which versions of Miner and Bob are the best-playing and/or best-looking?

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't help you with Bounty Bob but as far as Miner 2049er...You could try searching through the back issues of "Retrogaming Times", in the "Many Faces Of..." section, which reviews different system versions of the same game.
    http://tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%2...s/retrogam.htm. I'm fairly certain this game would have been covered seeing as how popular it is/was. I could be wrong but worth looking into.
    I prefer the Colecovision version myself, just cause that's the one I played "back in the day" but I recall this topic came up on a board a few years ago, and if I remember correctly the Atari 8 bit and Commodore 64 computer versions were the favorite. The 2600 version is by far the worst.

Mike

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: Miner 2049er & Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    There are multiple console versions of both of these games, and I intend to eventually catch 'em all, but I'd like to start with the best versions of each. Thus, I beg you to answer: which versions of Miner and Bob are the best-playing and/or best-looking?

-- Z.
    Personal opinion.

Bounty Bob on 5200 and Atari 8-bit are virtually the same game (in fact, they may be identical - they appear to be so at least 4 or 5 levels in, as far as I can get). They're EXCELLENT games, arguably the best title on either system.

My favorite version of Miner 2049'er is the ColecoVision version. Mind you, if you plan on playing with standard CV "knobs" you might as well go Atari 8-bit again. 2600 version is rather watered down; TI-99 version doesn't look as good but controls well; 5200... probably the same as the 8-bit game again though I've never tried it with the MasterPlay interface, it's impossible to do those precision jumps with the standard 5200 stick.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

The 5200 may just be a port from the 8bit version. It may in fact be exactly the same game.

I'd go for the 8bit version for 2 reasons.

1. Its cheaper
    2. You won't have to use a 5200 controller.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Bounty Bob on 5200 and Atari 8-bit are virtually the same game (in fact, they may be identical - they appear to be so at least 4 or 5 levels in, as far as I can get). They're EXCELLENT games, arguably the best title on either system.
    Actually the 5200 version of Miner has a bug that causes you to jump too far in the higher zones (zone 9 I think).

The 5200 version of BBSB also has a Big Five splash screen that isn't in the 400/800 version.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 5200 and 8bit versions have some subtle differences. The game screens themselves may be the same but there are other things like the secret codes that are different.. Very minor really.

I'd have to vote for the Atari 8bit version of Bounty Bob. Just the most playable with the Atari stick.

John

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFA Miner 2049er goes, my favourite is the 5200/8-bit version. I have no problem playing it with my 5200 sticks. I have the 8-bit too but prefer my 5200 to my XEGS. Second would be CV and I play it on my CV with a regular Atari controller (just use keypad #2 to select and start your game). Third place is TI99 which is suprisingly good not to mention that the cart itself is interesting in that it plugs into the expansion port and not the cart port.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

C64 version of Bounty Bob is exceedingly fine...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! The only question now: subject myself to the horrors of eBay, or hold out 'til CGExpo, where I presume at least one vendor will have Miner and BB for sale?

-- Z.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's interesting, Zach, considering you've already bid on an Ebay copy. I know because I'm the one you overbid! Normally, I wouldn't try to outbid someone I'm familiar with but since you did outbid me...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    That's interesting, Zach, considering you've already bid on an Ebay copy. I know because I'm the one you overbid! Normally, I wouldn't try to outbid someone I'm familiar with but since you did outbid me...
    Heh! I couldn't resist the urge to bid on BB, although I'm sure the final amount will be well above my self-imposed limit.

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari 5200/8-bit computer version of Miner 2049er is the best. Of course, I had to wait until it was available to play through an emulator, but I still think it's the best version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I wound up the high bidder on theat Miner 2049er auction...no hard feelings I hope, Zach. Maybe I can buy one of your books to help make it up to you As to the problems with using the 5200 joystick with it, that shouldn't be a problem since I use the Wico 5200 joystick.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Well, I wound up the high bidder on theat Miner 2049er auction...no hard feelings I hope, Zach. Maybe I can buy one of your books to help make it up to you As to the problems with using the 5200 joystick with it, that shouldn't be a problem since I use the Wico 5200 joystick.
    Unfortunately, since publishers don't pay royalties on strategy guides anymore, the only way you can make it up to me is with cold, hard cash. Heh. No hard feelings whatsoever -- bid-ness is bid-ness.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sadly, the CV version of Miner 2049er is inferior to the 5200 and Atari computer versions. If you manage to finish all 11 levels, it just starts over, unlike the computer version, that has higher difficulty levels. It also lacks the "indestructable" mutants and deadly prizes.

Pity it wasn't as good an effort as Boulder Dash.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the 5200 is up to almost $130 on an eBay auction. Is it really that rare?

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the DP Guide, it's listed as a 9+ in rarity so I'd say that's pretty darn rare. The suggested price listed in the guide is $125 so it's around that. I saw that auction, too. I'm letting that one pass...