Thread: 2032 Battery clips and a rechargable battery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2032 Battery clips and a rechargable battery

So, this is sort of a three-in-one (related) question thread.

First, I'd like to switch out all of my (or most of my) battery clips in old cartridges for something which allows for easier replacement.

I'd just like to make sure this is the right thing. Will the following item function as a battery clip holder for the CR2032s in cartridges? http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...k1smJG%2fz8%3d

Second, will this clip also work to hold a rechargable 2032 in my Dreamcast, since I'll have to replace its battery now anyway?

Finally, is this the right battery for the Dreamcast? http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...tPrlx7U82DY%3d

I'd just like to check all of this before I place an order -- don't wanna end up with a bunch of useless pieces.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    I'd just like to make sure this is the right thing. Will the following item function as a battery clip holder for the CR2032s in cartridges? http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...k1smJG%2fz8%3d
    That looks like the correct part (614-HU2032-LF). Maybe consider using the vertical holder 614-VBH2032-1 instead. Might be easier to glue or 2-sided tape the vertical holder to the PCB & run leads to the stock battery locations, rather than the horizontal holder which probably has a different lead spacing than the original battery and might require precautions to ensure it doesn't short out with something else on the PCB.
    Second, will this clip also work to hold a rechargable 2032 in my Dreamcast, since I'll have to replace its battery now anyway?
    It should, provided the battery's physical dimensions are the same.
    Finally, is this the right battery for the Dreamcast? http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...tPrlx7U82DY%3d
    That's under the "non-rechargable batteries" category, so it may not be correct, provided the DC battery is, in fact, a rechargeable type (I've never personally serviced a DC so I couldn't say).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, thanks for all that.

Also, the Dreamcast does need the rechargable type, so thanks for catching that mistake. Seems mouser doesn't stock the one I need, so I'll have to find it elsewhere. Nor does Digi-Key, though I've never bought from them.

I've seen a couple of threads about Dreamcast batteries, but they all seemed to recommend DigiKey, who doesn't seem to have them. Anyone know where I could order a rechargeable 2032 battery?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you visually confirmed the Dreamcast battery type? Is it definitely a 2032? If so, LIR2032 seems to be an available rechargeable counterpart.

Non-rechargeable 2032 are cheap from digikey. I wonder if people aren't crossing things in their mind with the VMU battery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Have you visually confirmed the Dreamcast battery type? Is it definitely a 2032? If so, LIR2032 seems to be an available rechargeable counterpart.

Non-rechargeable 2032 are cheap from digikey. I wonder if people aren't crossing things in their mind with the VMU battery.
    i think it's a lithium-manganese rechargable. ive seen 2 different sizes in the DC, the one i usually see is a panasonic ML2020, i forget what the other one was but i do know it was a little bigger.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know where I could order a rechargeable 2032 battery?
    http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/214...tyle-pcb-tags/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post

You know, I didn't think to look at it. I had put it in my mind that that's what's in it, but I honestly didn't think to actually look while I was in it recalibrating the laser. Way to fail.

But I'll check.

Also, thanks for the link. EDIT: Which is the British site I'll see if I can find it on the US BB site.

EDIT 3: Just checked, no go on U.S. site. With shipping to my location, it seems it'd be about $14, which is a little much for a battery. If I can't find another source, though, I guess I'll grab that one eventually. Assuming, of course, that that's the CORRECT one. I'll pop open the DC tomorrow and confirm.

EDIT2: I also just noticed that I hit 400 posts and got a strawberry. Cool, I guess?
    Last edited by aclbandit; 05-05-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems I did have it wrong in my mind.

The battery I need for the Dreamcast's clock is called an "ML2430," visually confirmed from my own now-taken-apart-again Dreamcast.

So now that we've found the right clips for the cartridge batteries, let's find the right parts for the DC.

This is what I *think* is the clip I'd need (would need to run leads and use hot glue, but would make changing it easy next time):
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...GSSAET9VhQw%3d

Also, IS the battery from mine, looks exactly like it: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=172941664

So please, if someone could confirm the CR2430-T battery clip for me (since, really, electrical stuff is not something I have a lot of experience with), that would be great.
    Last edited by aclbandit; 05-06-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the Dreamcast battery from RadioShack in the mail today -- it worked like a charm. The Dreamcast no longer forgets what date it is on every boot. I might still grab one of the battery clips eventually, but for now it's in working order.

I might get some of those 2032 battery clips on my next paycheck to make battery replacements a little less painful in my cartridges in the future. I guess I'll decide then whether to get the vert or horizontal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

They're both 3v lithium you can use either but the 2430 has a higher capacity.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos