Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16 CD System

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TurboGrafx-16 CD System

Just a simple question. Why are these systems so expensive on eBay? The TG-16 alone I can get for around $50, but I've been searching for a TG-16 with the CD attachment, and the TurboDuo, and prices seem to be around the $450 mark or more expensive. What's the deal here? Limited run? High demand? I'm going crazy here.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have an answer for that question but I believe you'll be better off getting a Japanese PC Engine DUO-R and get someone to region mod it for you. The DUO-R is more reliable than the regular DUO (which is the same as the American TurboDUo) and prices are all around the $200 mark for a stock system.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC Engine DUO-R can play NTSC CD games, right?

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The price may depend on which system card comes with the CD unit. I have a TG16 with the CD unti but only the 2.0 system. I was looking to get the 3.0 system card, which will play all of the super CD games as the 2.0 will not, and just the card runs $150-200....
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    The PC Engine DUO-R can play NTSC CD games, right?
    Correct. It can play US CD games without any converter or modification. Hucards are a different story. It's cheaper to pickup a TG16 unit just to play US hucards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what I have seen it's usually cheaper to get a duo than the cd attachment for the Turbografx. Not to mention it looks alot cooler than the CD attachment .
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

base TG16 units are ridiculously overpriced on the 'bay as well imo
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    I believe you'll be better off getting a Japanese PC Engine DUO-R and get someone to region mod it for you.

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think I'm gonna get a region- and S-Video modded PCE Duo-R. Hope I can find one for around $300.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    I don't have an answer for that question but I believe you'll be better off getting a Japanese PC Engine DUO-R and get someone to region mod it for you.
    Thirded. You'll have a hard time finding TG16+CD+3.0 card for less than a PCE Duo-R or RX, which has the 3.0 card basically built-in.

If you're shopping on eBay, yes most US prices are seriously inflated. There's a d-bag going by the name GameSquadStore who likes to charge $200 for TG16 (non-CD) systems and then put 'Turbo Duo' in the titles of the auctions so they'll come up in more searches.

The original black Duo (US and JP version) did have sound issues, mostly due to capacitor problems but not always. The two redesigns (PCE Duo-R and Duo-RX) did not have the same sound issues due to a redesigned board layout. Usually you can find a JP PCE Duo-R for less than a US Duo (probably bundled with a few goodies too). Figure $170-$230 shipped (shipping from JP isn't usually cheap).

CD games are not region-locked so US games will play on a JP console. Hucards are not cross-compatible so an unmodded JP system will not play US cards. You can either have the Duo-R region-modded (price varies, estimated cost seems to be $50 plus shipping) or buy a separate TG16 just for US Hucard duty. But if you want a single system for everything, PCE Duo-R + region mod is the way to go.

Then, you can pick up an Arcade Card Duo (again saving some cash since a different, more expensive card is required for non-Duo systems) and this will make all of the arcade card games playable (JP only).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for a thorough reply there, jperryss. I'm having a hard time finding modded PCE Duo-R's.

I might go with

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-Engine-DU...3%3A2|294%3A50

or

Seems good enough, plus the guy has loads of good feedback when it comes to selling Duo-R's. What's all this about a 3.0 card? Super CD games? Anyone have a list of those?
    Last edited by Nico87; 05-08-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I bought mine from Hit Japan, but he's only got one for sale right now. I've also bought a lot of PCE gear from RisingStuff.com and wouldn't hesitate to buy a system from them, they are great to deal with. Base price is a little higher but they won't poke you on shipping like everyone else does, so it probably balances out.

The 3.0 card is an updated system Hucard (additional RAM I believe) which lets you play SCD games. TG16 CD systems require the card to be purchased separately, and it's not cheap ($50-100 lately). All Duo systems have 3.0 built-in to the console and no additional card is required. You can now probably see why going the Duo route is significantly cheaper and more efficient.

List of CD/SCD/ACD games here on Wikipedia (all regions). The Formats column shows whether they are CD, SuperCD, or ArcadeCD. ArcadeCD games require another Hucard to be purchased, which works similar to the 3.0 card but with a bigger RAM boost. A Duo system requires the Arcade Card Duo, but a TG+CD system requires the Arcade Card Pro which is a bit more expensive. The list of ACD games is fairly small compared to the others, and is mostly fighting games, but the ultra-rare schmup Sapphire you will see mentioned occasionally is an ACD game.

As far as buying a modded Duo-R, I don't see them too often. I bought mine stock and had it modded later.

Thanks for a thorough reply there, jperryss. I'm having a hard time finding modded PCE Duo-R's.

I might go with

or

Seems good enough, plus the guy has loads of good feedback when it comes to selling Duo-R's. I dunno if the US Hucards alone makes a base TG16 worth to get, though there are some games that do appeal to me. What's all this about a 3.0 card? Super CD games? Anyone have a list of those?
    Last edited by jperryss; 05-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks again for your input! The thing is, I really want RGB-compatibility on my Duo-R. Or at least S-Video. After getting RGB cables for my SNES and my Saturn, I can't go back to AV. I just can't. I'm still trying my best to get a S-Video/Region-modded Duo-R, I found on a site (D-Link), but it was last updated in 2006, so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Nico87; 05-08-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks again for your input! The thing is, I really want RGB-compatibility on my Duo-R. Or at least S-Video. After getting RGB cables for my SNES and my Saturn, I can't go back to AV. I just can't. I'm still trying my best to get a S-Video/Region-modded Duo-R, I found on a site (D-Link), but it was last updated in 2006, so fingers crossed.
    You mean D-Lite (Dean) at Multimods? Don't waste your time. I didn't deal with him personally but he was a regular here and on pcenginefx.com (great TG/PCE forum BTW) and burned quite a few people. Hasn't posted here or there in a long time.

If you can't find one pre-modded, your best bet might be to post a request to have it modded. There are a few people over there that do these mods. RedGhost did my region mod (original thread here, his mod site here). He does excellent work and is a great guy to boot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! Only problem is that I live in Norway, so I'd have to pay for shipping both ways, probably $100 combined, plus $50 for the modding, and $150+shipping for the system on eBay. The ideal solution would be to buy the whole lot together, a modded Duo-R from one guy, but I guess I can't have everything! Aaaand, I so badly want it to be S-Video compatible!
    Last edited by Nico87; 05-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks! Only problem is that I live in Norway, so I'd have to pay for shipping both ways, probably $100 combined, plus $50 for the modding, and $150+shipping for the system on eBay. The ideal solution would be to buy the whole lot together, a modded Duo-R from one guy, but I guess I can't have everything! Aaaand, I so badly want it to be S-Video compatible!
    Eek, I assumed you were in the US for some reason.

In that case, maybe reach out to this guy (he's in Europe). He posts on pcenginefx sometimes and he may be able to mod for you OR sell you a pre-modded unit.
    http://www.retro-accessories.co.uk/

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TmEE (Tiido) might be able to help you out (he's in Estonia). I'm pretty sure he hasn't done a mod for PCE/DUO, but the docs are online and he's really bright/intelligent guy who's done mod's for other systems.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Argh, I'm really leaning towards getting a un-modded PCE Duo-R, and then just a TG16 for the HuCards later on. I've sent an e-mail to the guy over at retro-accessories, though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I decided to buy a regular Duo-R and a TG16. It's the healthy option for my collection anyway! Thanks alot for all the replies, specially yours jperryss!

Quick question - the Duo-R can't play Super CD games?

Aaand, I believe I've earned myself the honor of having a list produced by you, jperryss, of good NTSC PCE CD games, and japanese Hucards/CD's I can play without knowing the japanese language!

Also, why are some sealed games so cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosmic-Fantasy-2...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Turbo-Grafx...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Exile-for-Turbo-...QQcmdZViewItem

I also notice differences in the artwork, like the ones from the links above and http://interactivedistractions.com/i...Collection.jpg
    Last edited by Nico87; 05-09-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duo-R plays HuCards (jap), CDs (jap/US), and Super CDs (jap/US). You'll need the Arcade card to play the arcade games for the system.

As for the cheap sealed games, it's supply/demand. Boxes of them keep popping up within the last year. Good time to get one or two before resellers swipe them all and charge ya for 10x more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/