Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Contra Rebirth coming to Wiiware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Frankie is the co-op online or local split screen only?
    This is what happens when I don't get any sleep because that didn't even make sense. I should have said "or local co-op". Since when is Contra split-screen? That was a rhetorical question

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    No online co-op.
    That sucks. I also think the graphics look overly cartoony but the gameplay is what matters most. Your review sounds really good so I don't doubt this is another great Contra entry. But I wish Nintendo remembered that this is 2009, not 1989. Apparently Satoru Iwata still thinks customers do not want online games
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Screams retro awesome to me.

The visual, controls, and sound are topnotch and spot-on. It's 16-bit perfect!

Kicked my @ss in level 1 with only three lives. Up the count to seven and managed to reach the third boss. Yeah, it's Contra alright!

Konami has redeemed themselves a little with this, still doesn't make up for their horrible Castlevania idea or their upcoming 'walking' game. Divert Kojima to the Wii and maybe I'll change my mind about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Contra Rebirth is Weird

Having successfully finished Contra Rebirth (normal difficulty, five lives), I have to say that it is the weirdest Contra I know of. Sure, Hard Corps had a werewolf and a robot playable character, but this Rebirth is messed up.

When I played the game I skipped all of the cutscenes except the last because I was more concerned with playing through to the ending. But even then the glimpses of them definitely showed the strangeness: Commander Salamander, robot girl "Contra"s, cross-dressers, etc. But while I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't gotten to it with Bill, I will say it involves a naked dude handing a bandana to a robot girl before getting frozen.

From what I hear, the game has many unlockable characters which are obtained by finishing the game with different characters, so I'm sure there is more epilogue weirdness to be seen.

What did you guys think of the queerness of this game's cutscenes and design choices?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    Having successfully finished Contra Rebirth (normal difficulty, five lives), I have to say that it is the weirdest Contra I know of. Sure, Hard Corps had a werewolf and a robot playable character, but this Rebirth is messed up.

When I played the game I skipped all of the cutscenes except the last because I was more concerned with playing through to the ending. But even then the glimpses of them definitely showed the strangeness: Commander Salamander, robot girl "Contra"s, cross-dressers, etc. But while I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't gotten to it with Bill, I will say it involves a naked dude handing a bandana to a robot girl before getting frozen.

From what I hear, the game has many unlockable characters which are obtained by finishing the game with different characters, so I'm sure there is more epilogue weirdness to be seen.

What did you guys think of the queerness of this game's cutscenes and design choices?
    I think the Contra games have progressively been getting stranger through the years, or at least had instances of strangeness peppered throughout.

As long as the action is there and it's classic 2D Contra game-play it doesn't bother me how strange the story is.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Just got done playing Rebirth. I have to be honest, it sucks... It just didnt feel right. On level 1, debris is falling everywhere, its really hard to make out anything, its like too much is going on at once. I would rather have more enemies than random debris falling. Once i got to the caterpillar boss on level 1, I died, but then i would just respawn and fall to my death in the lower middle of the screen... So far, no good.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I finally got around to playing this the last three days and wanted to post a few thoughts. First, the cutscenes were LAAAAME. They made little sense, and the one about a crossdresser was friggin stupid. Second, I'm pissed there's only five stages. Third, no matter what difficulty you play it on (well, I only played Normal, Hard, and Nightmare), you get the SAME ending and you get NOTHING for beating it on Nightmare (super lame). I only played it with Bill, but still. Do you get different endings with different characters?

A fair Contra game, but way too easy. Even Nightmare difficulty wasn't that hard, taking me only 3 hours or so to get through. Sure, I used 7 lives, but still.

Ok, with all my complaints out of the way, it was a good Contra game, but by no means a favorite of the series. Worth the 1000 points, and all Contra fans must play it, but I was disappointed with some things. Luckily, I only had to play it less than 7 or 8 hours to get through those three difficulties, and I know I'm not missing out on more (unless each character does have different endings, which honestly I'd just Youtube at this point). Ok, I didn't unlock the character for easy mode yet, but eh. I'm not sure I want to. I probably will, just to do it anyway though.

EDIT: Ok, I just beat it twice on easy mode. Once was with the girl robot. I got the exact same ending both times, So, just because you get an extra last boss on any mode but easy, you are not getting anythiong different. The only things you can unlock in this game is Nightmare difficulty and three more characters that control exactly the same, as far as I can tell.

-Rob
    Last edited by rbudrick; 11-02-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!