Thread: help with Amiga: computer killing disk drives?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default help with Amiga: computer killing disk drives?

didn't know what else to name the post but thats what it keeps looking like my Amiga is doing

bought an amiga 3000 in the hopes of playing some of my amiga games and its been nothing but trouble.

when i first bought it all i had on hand was black crypt (copy). i put it in the disk drive and it booted up flawlessly. next day when i tried again all i got was DF0: ???? or DF0:NODOS. assumeing the disk went bad i tried many other disks i pulled out of storage both copys and retails all getting the same result. so i assumed the drive had gone bad and went about finding a new floppy drive which i aquired from the forums here. the drive was for a 500 but there was no reason it shouldn't run fine on my 3000. i recived said drive today and installed it and, voila, it seemed to work like a charm...sorta

first game i booted up was marble madness which the drive acually recagnized. though on attempting to play it all froze. i assumed this was just a fluke so next i tried an old favorite Firepower. the amiga recagnized the disk and promptly asked me to reboot to play the game. i did, game loaded up and got all the way to the tank select screen and which point...nothing. its been over a decade since i played this game so i was thinking maybe i was missing something. maybe the mouse was loose...i dunno. anyways i figured i would try anouther game.

now i'm back where i started, all i get is DF0: ???? or DF0:NODOS when i load any disk. if i try to boot from a disk like your supposed to with firepower now i get a "not a DOS disk" error. WTF is going on? i'm getting kinda frusterated and was wondering if anyone has an answer to this.

Insert Coin (Level 0) papa_november's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The drives need cleaning, and it's possible that one or more of your disks are bad and are gumming up whatever drive they're inserted in. You'll need to find a cleaning disk, they shouldn't be impossible to find.

Also, the 3000 will have trouble running many older games from floppy. Use WHDLoad to run them from hard disk. How much RAM does your A3000 have?