Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Wow, Super Mario Sunshine is bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    It's not a term, but I did misspell it and it means exactly what I think it means. The brightness level of the graphics is literally a lens flare trick they came up with so everything shines regardless of where you're at. Let me dig up the blog post from a decade ago, it explained in detail how it works.
    "It's not a term" ? Wha..?

You cannot point at a Super Mario Sunshine screenshot and say, "That thing there is a lens flare", unless perhaps you point the camera at the sun.

I think Mr. Metalwario has the right idea. Perhaps you are thinking of bloom?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Ok I gotta jump in. I do look forward to playing this game as it is high on my priority list. But to clear things up. As someone who can recreate it with his camera. "Lens Flare" is a name for aiming a camera (that thing with a lens) at the sun at an angle to cause "Lens Flare/("Light Orbs")" in a shot/scene. Its whenever you see circles of light in a row in the shot that moves depending on the angle the camera is at.

I have not played this title yet so I cant say if its LF or Bloom. Someone with cgi experience would have to explain that one to you. Although im pretty sure bloom is the effect that made fable 3 look brighter and slightly blurry to hide defects on teztures while smoothing out harsh angles in the polygons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't played it since it was new, but, that said they do simulate the idea of lens flare in it I do remember that. As the sun crosses over you depending on the angle you get those lens spots that flare from larger to smaller that cross over the screen. I do remember that much, how they did it I do not but I do recall the concept of whatever you wish to call it is there. Compound that with how(I never noticed or forgot as it was subtle) how the game brightens up more the more shines you get I imagine it has a larger impact as it gets brighter.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Bloom is also the effect from Oblivion that made everyone look as though a soft light was eminating from thier faces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I enjoyed it had some good levels and some neat stuff to it as did the later games on wii but nothing will ever beat mario 64 or super mario world imo

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    How come? It's not particularly difficult, you should give it a go someday.
    Oddly enough, I've gotten all 150 stars on SM64DS twice, but never got all 120 on SM64. Methinks I should try that as well.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a bit easier there, since they made adjustments for d-pad controls in some of the difficult sections along with the power ups and the special abilities of the different characters. But still a pretty easy time of it on the original.

Most of the sections with some difficulty to them just require going through deliberately, rather than recklessly. But the player that isn't willing to ever do anything but run is going to struggle in such sections. But take your time and something like Rainbow Ride is a pretty easy stage despite looking daunting at first glance.

Only 4 or 5 of the 100 coin stars give me trouble. I'll inevitably kill myself the first time on a stage like Tiny Huge Island (I think that's the right name) when I've gathered 95 coins or so only to fall off the side, try too hard in the cavern stage where Mario jumps into the pool when trying to gather every last coin in the maze with the poison gas (Even though you can afford to lose several coins), etc.

The hardest part for me, actually, is the final Bowser. I can't accurately throw him that distance as the island becomes smaller and smaller (And the bombs become fewer and further away). So it's an exercise in frustration that I usually lose, since it's all dependent on luck for me (I don't even try to aim, now).

So with most of my many playthroughs, I call it quits after the 120th star (Or 150th plus all the keys for the toy room, in the case of the DS port) and pass on seeing the end credits.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-21-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ON the 64 at least you can cheap your way into an easy bowser fight once you can get that tail for the first time. Just get him into the toss animation pose, then just almost instantly let him go, since he's so close and he's stunned for a moment upon landing even if it is really just a little drop, you can re-grab the jerk. Wash rinse repeat right into a bomb. Don't need to really aim when you can just scoot the fool right into the explosives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's a bit easier there, since they made adjustments for d-pad controls in some of the difficult sections along with the power ups and the special abilities of the different characters.
    Luigi's superspin is kind of a game-breaker.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, they kind of eased things a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    ON the 64 at least you can cheap your way into an easy bowser fight once you can get that tail for the first time. Just get him into the toss animation pose, then just almost instantly let him go, since he's so close and he's stunned for a moment upon landing even if it is really just a little drop, you can re-grab the jerk. Wash rinse repeat right into a bomb. Don't need to really aim when you can just scoot the fool right into the explosives.
    That's the technique.

The problem at the end is each time you toss him into a bomb, he knocks out the outer edge of the platform. By the third time, the bombs that remain are pretty far out there since there's not a heck of a lot left of the platform.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played Sunshine because I've heard how terrible it is. I don't think the Galaxy games are all that I beat them and I never want to play them again. Imho NSMBW > > > > > Mario Galaxy games.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me Super Mario Bros. was great on the NES and SNES but that's when it stops. I never had much interest in Super Mario 64 because once Mario went 3D it was basically the end of its charm. I know I'm in the minority.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    For me Super Mario Bros. was great on the NES and SNES but that's when it stops. I never had much interest in Super Mario 64 because once Mario went 3D it was basically the end of its charm. I know I'm in the minority.
    Have you played New Super Mario Bros. U? I'm not completely against Mario in 3D and enjoy those games still but there was something about bringing the game back as a side scrolling platformer that had a lot of charm. If you have the opportunity I would most definitely take the time to play through it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't play Sunshine, but I did play M64, which is an awesome game, and I did play a bunch of Super Mario Galaxy, which is amazing. Imo, Galaxy is the pinnacle of modern 3D platformers, it's just got so much brilliantly creative elements to it, tons of cool level design, its a gorgeous game. I never understood why people complain about a game being more linear. Look at all the sidescrollers and tell me they're not linear! lol. There is a fair amount of exploration to the game tho, not as much as Mario 64, but personally I don't mind. Galaxy is a masterpiece, I just found a copy of Galaxy 2 for $4 at a Goodwill the other day, so I'm gonna dig into that soon, also.