Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wow, Super Mario Sunshine is bad.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shaq-Funaki's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Mario Sunshine was ok Not the best Mario and definitely not the worst (everyone forget about Hotel Mario?). I just could not get over the fact that Mario was a glorified janitor. If they wanted to make the game a little different he should have been a or a or the hell out of that little mushroom punk toad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like Sunshine more than Galaxy. I thought Galaxy was too linear. It's probably what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me. I like to explore, especially in a full 3D Mario world.

It's funny, I actually like it more and more, the more I hear people talk down about it. It's really underrated to me.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you serious? Sunshine is great, one of my favorites. Its music is freakin awesome, and the idea is original and fun.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found Sunshine to be brutally difficult. I've bought it on two occassions, fully intending to finish it, but there's no way that I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I found Sunshine to be brutally difficult. I've bought it on two occassions, fully intending to finish it, but there's no way that I can.
    The Blue Coin's are the biggest pain in the game. It's definetly a challenge, but who doesn't love a good challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I didn't think it was that hard, but then, I think most Mario games are too easy. New Super Mario Bros. was so easy it just about put me to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I didn't think it was that hard, but then, I think most Mario games are too easy. New Super Mario Bros. was so easy it just about put me to sleep.
    Some of those "red coin" levels that you have to do twice can be brutal. I've gotten all the shines in the traditional stages, but getting all 120 is a true video game accomplishment.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Some of those "red coin" levels that you have to do twice can be brutal. I've gotten all the shines in the traditional stages, but getting all 120 is a true video game accomplishment.
    Really? I didn't think it was that hard, I've completed Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros. 100% and plan to 100% Galaxy sometime. Go back and try it again, maybe it's not as hard as you thought.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Count me with the group that didn't like Sunshine. I didn't like the controls, camera, blue coins, unskippable cutesy cutscenes and much more. I hated the fact that there were different amounts of coins in the level for every different shine. I'd spend a half hour trying to get 100 coins only to realize it wasn't possible on that particular shine. Plus a lot of the shines felt like chores rather than fun adventures. I hated having to cool off the chomp chains and clean that stupid eel things teeth and so on. Oh and Yoshi was useless too.

Bottom line, I got enough enough shines to beat the game and haven't picked it up since.

BTW, there is a difference between a good challenge and a bad challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't find Sunshine to be that hard. I got all of the shines except for a couple on the rollercoaster level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like sunshine a hell of a lot more than Galaxy.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

Loved Mario 64, loved Sunshine, loved Galaxy...all great titles in their own merit.

New Super Mario Bros. was pretty boring, I must admit, though...didn't bring enough 'new' to the table for me...when I first heard "NSMB" was coming out I was expecting a remake of 1, 2, and 3 all combined...not just 1...
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was another thread on here about this game several years back, and I remember I was one of the ones arguing that the game was basically horrible. After it ran its course I decided to go through the game again and see if I could finish it.

So I did end up finishing it. I remember thinking that the game got more enjoyable as you got further into it, and got the hang of the different water items. I still found the "platform" levels maddening (that was my main complaint previously), but I remember eventually getting better at those also, but still with the occasional stupid death due to weird camera angles and whatnot.

It's not one of my favorite mario games, but I don't hate it as much as I originally did.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't dislike it, but considering the other Super Mario games, I haven't given it much time. It's probably my second least favorite SMB game, next to the US Mario 2. That said, the worst of the Mario platformers are still pretty decent IMO.

Oh, I forgot about Super Mario Land on Gameboy... Sunshine is better than that one too.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a copy given to me and i played it for maybe 5 mins? My brother liked it so i gave it to him with an extra cube. and a few other games. I think i'm falling out of love with nintendo.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

Actually now that I think about it, the absolute stupidest thing about Sunshine (even though I still like the game as a whole) was how Yoshi was handled. He touches the water and fades away...capital lame. Otherwise, it was still fun even though Yoshi was a letdown.
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1 for the Sunshine better then galaxy vote.
    zomg I have a sig

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to give Sunshine a chance but nothing felt fun about the game. I hated the water pack gimmick. I remember giving it a try, not liking it but tried to put in another hour in it just to see if it would pick up or not and to me it did'nt so I have'nt played it since then. Galaxy on the other hand. That blew my mind. It was fairly "small" but it was just a completly brand new experience and it didn't try to crutch itself on the motion controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It wasn't nearly as intuitive for sure. Had to fight the controls too often and yeah the stages were kinda layed out in a dull way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just revisited this game again since last posting in this thread. I decided to not stress about the blue coins and just get them as I see them. They are, by far, the most annoying and badly thought-out aspect of this game.

The most immediate problem I noticed with the game is the control feel. I had no problem with Mario 64. Mario Galaxy controls are like a third limb and never fight you. The controls in Sunshine are absolutely horrible. Little taps of the control stick send you flying. Jump at the wrong point in your movement and you won't end up where you wanted. It exacerbates the problem with the platform levels. These levels would otherwise be pretty fun if they were presented in Mario Galaxy.

The second major beef I have is that both the story and gameplay direction are bad. Very bad. It's like there was no one in particular in charge of the pacing and layout of the worlds. The voice acting and animation is grating. The story is ridiculous even for an abstract Mario game.

I am going to try to plod through this game. There is no way I will be able to tolerate getting all of the shines, which will be a first for me, since I am the guy who gets all 120 whatevers in each Mario game.