Thread: new version of ALTERED BEAST for XBLA in SEGA Vintage Collection 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default new version of ALTERED BEAST for XBLA in SEGA Vintage Collection 2

SEGA Vintage Collection 2 (Available Summer 2009 on XBLA & PSN)
    This Summer, you will be able to individually download 7 classics from SEGA's archive!

New Features Include:

Re-worked for High-Definition
    Online Leaderboards
    Network Play (Excludes Phantasy Star II, Shinobi, Comix Zone)

Gunstar Heroes (XBLA & PSN) – The classic side scrolling shooter from the SEGA Genesis returns to captivate fans new and old with its non-stop action and cooperative play.

Altered Beast (XBLA) – "Rise from your Grave" as the original Genesis launch game is reborn and comes to a new generation of gamers. Battle hordes of undead warriors and monsters as you return to battle in order to save Zeus' daughter Athena.

Shinobi (arcade) (XBLA) – Battle your way through the "Ring of Five" as you save hostages with your ninja abilities.

Comix Zone (XBLA) – The game features an innovative art style that transports players directly into the panels of a comic as they fight their way to save a world from destruction as Sketch Turner. Everything from the speech bubble text, level design, and the revolutionary graphics scream COMIX!

Phantasy Star 2 (XBLA) – SEGA's classic RPG which expanded on the success of the first with its epic storyline and battle system.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (XBLA) – The game that introduced Knuckles the Echidna comes to a new generation of gamers as Sonic explores Angel Island and discovers the true power of the Master Emerald. Speed through each level at lightning speeds as either Sonic or Tails as you foil Dr. Eggman’s in his new Death Egg station.

And Coming late Summer 2009!

Sonic and Knuckles (XBLA) – Picking up where Sonic the Hedgehog 3 left off, players can now play as Knuckles for the first time. In addition, if players already have Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Sonic 2 in their library, they will be able to access the lock-on bonus content for each game for the very first time since the days of the SEGA GENESIS! This allows for gamers to play Sonic 2 & 3 as Knuckles!

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/pr...ge_collection2

As a fan of the original 1988 arcade Altered Beast on Sega's System 16 arcade board architecture, which was very significantly downgraded graphically for the Mega Drive / Genesis, version, I am SO looking forward to any kind of remake/update/sequel of Altered Beast on XBLA
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 05-12-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Looking forward to this, but nowhere does it say that Altered Beast is being remade... it says REBORN, but like the other titles, I doubt it'll be remade.

Shinobi is back... and on XBLA. We can rejoice now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Maybe it's just the arcade version of Altered Beast then? I had assumed it was a new XBLA version being made. The wording is somewhat misleading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

as the original Genesis launch game is reborn
    I think it'll be the Genesis version. Sega has yet to release an arcade port on XBLA (Well, until Shinobi is released). Would be nice if they did. Lord knows I can't get enough of Afterburner, Hang On, and Space Harrier.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 05-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like they're basically just taking a few of the games that were on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and slapping on leaderboards/online play... something which should have been on the original release.

They should just make a DLC pack with the "extra" stuff rather than make people download the same game again, which will probably be at an inflated price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want to wait, the arcade ports of Altered Beast and Shinobi are on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. All of these games are, except for Gunstar Heroes. These versions have online features that aren't available on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    I think it'll be the Genesis version. Sega has yet to release an arcade port on XBLA (Well, until Shinobi is released). Would be nice if they did. Lord knows I can't get enough of Afterburner, Hang On, and Space Harrier.
    Golden Axe is the arcade ver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably going to grab Gunstar Heroes, everything else I already have on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Ironically Altered Beast is probably the game up there I'm least interested in, lol.

I have 4 different copies of Sonic 3 and S&K but I'll still be picking that up the instant it comes out. Easily my favourite of the 16-bit sonic games.

The rest are pretty much definites too. Though I'm surprised they're releasing PS2 and not PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

...talk about reading into something a bit too much. No "new" version of Altered Beast. Just the announcement of a few games in the Ultimate Genesis Collection as 400 MS point, 200 achievement point single releases...

http://kotaku.com/5249468/sega-vinta...es-to-xbla-psn
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    ...talk about reading into something a bit too much. No "new" version of Altered Beast. Just the announcement of a few games in the Ultimate Genesis Collection as 400 MS point, 200 achievement point single releases...

http://kotaku.com/5249468/sega-vinta...es-to-xbla-psn
    Exactly, I was wondering how it got twisted into it being a "new" version.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever they do it's gotta be better than the Gameboy Advance remake!
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pretty disappointing that most of this is just a retread of content in their just released Sonic collection. I'd be buying Gunstar to experience it for the first time and the two Sonic titles (Only games I like enough to buy over again to go for achievements in this list), but I'll be ignoring the rest despite having bought all their first round of XBLA releases.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Pretty disappointing that most of this is just a retread of content in their just released Sonic collection. I'd be buying Gunstar to experience it for the first time and the two Sonic titles (Only games I like enough to buy over again to go for achievements in this list), but I'll be ignoring the rest despite having bought all their first round of XBLA releases.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I will also be getting the Gunstar Heroes thanks to the online play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    It sounds like they're basically just taking a few of the games that were on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and slapping on leaderboards/online play... something which should have been on the original release.

They should just make a DLC pack with the "extra" stuff rather than make people download the same game again, which will probably be at an inflated price.
    My thoughts exactly.

Oh yeah, somebody said something about Shinobi arcade not getting released: I have not unlocked it yet, but according to the ultimate genesis collection game itself, Shinobi arcade is on there, but has to be unlocked.

What they need to do is give us some more genny games that were not on the ultimate genesis collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    What they need to do is give us some more genny games that were not on the ultimate genesis collection.
    There's supposed to be a Ultimate Genesis Collection 2 released at some point.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's been no announcements, just speculation that there will be one to help explain the absence of a portion of their Genesis library like Outrun, a lot of SMS games that were skipped, and arcade titles that they had already worked to emulate for last generation's Sega Genesis Collections that were only partially brought forward for inclusion in this last one. Not to mention they've worked to emulate other titles like Space Harrier and Shinobi, and that could open up other classic Sega arcade titles that ran on similar architecture to easily be included.

I think we'll see a sequel, but there's been nothing official, just fan based speculation.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-13-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    There's been no announcements, just speculation that there will be one to help explain the absence of a portion of their Genesis library like Outrun, a lot of SMS games that were skipped, and arcade titles that they had already worked to emulate for last generation's Sega Genesis Collections that were only partially brought forward for inclusion in this last one. Not to mention they've worked to emulate other titles like Space Harrier and Shinobi, and that could open up other classic Sega arcade titles that ran on similar architecture to easily be included.

I think we'll see a sequel, but there's been nothing official beyond fan based speculation.
    Speculation (and wishful thinking), Shenmue 3 on 360!

Wow, before you shoot me down, think of a full on Shenmue compilation with 1 and 2 on it, and then the inclusion of 3 which would polish up the series (you know as well as I do that they could shove the whole story onto a bunch of discs).

I know it won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by Invitation1 View Post
    Dear Sega,

Please make Comix Zone 2. More Vectorman. Also, if you could do some other games that didn't involve being a were"hog" or knights, that would be awesome. Please don't put talking in Sonic games ever again also.
    So, what, you don't think KNiGHTS: Into Regimes is a good idea?
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.