Thread: Odyssey 2 Hacking Questions

Insert Coin (Level 0) moonchilddave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odyssey 2 Hacking Questions

I've started pulling out all my old systems out of storage. Today I was working on cleaning up my Odyssey 2 (same one I had as a kid). But now I have some questions...

Does a schematic of the main board inside this thing exist anywhere? I've seen the hack to make it put out composite video and audio. I also saw that the hack isn't perfect and can lead to a darker picture and ghosting. I'm just wondering if the video is just not being picked up at the right point - a schematic would definantly help. Or am I wrong about the hack and the video not being perfect.

I assume the audio part is good. Which leads me to my next question. Has anyone opened up The Voice? I was wondering if it would be possible to pick the audio off it and combine it with the O2 audio point (Audio output = junction of C45 and R49) and sent that to an add-on jack on the back. If that is possible, does anyone know where you pick the audio up off The Voice?

Are there any other hardware hacks for this system? I am an electronics tech and can read a schematic and am fairly proficient with a soldering iron. There seems to be a fair amount of room inside this sucker to place additional circuit boards and stuff.
    Last edited by moonchilddave; 05-14-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
    I've started pulling out all my old systems out of storage. Today I was working on cleaning up my Odyssey 2 (same one I had as a kid). But now I have some questions...

Does a schematic of the main board inside this thing exist anywhere? I've seen the hack to make it put out composite video and audio. I also saw that the hack isn't perfect and can lead to a darker picture and ghosting. I'm just wondering if the video is just not being picked up at the right point - a schematic would definantly help. Or am I wrong about the hack and the video not being perfect.

I assume the audio part is good. Which leads me to my next question. Has anyone opened up The Voice? I was wondering if it would be possible to pick the audio off it and combine it with the O2 audio point (Audio output = junction of C45 and R49) and sent that to an add-on jack on the back. If that is possible, does anyone know where you pick the audio up off The Voice?

Are there any other hardware hacks for this system? I am an electronics tech and can read a schematic and am fairly proficient with a soldering iron. There seems to be a fair amount of room inside this sucker to place additional circuit boards and stuff.
    I found the schematics by asking my good friend Mr. Google.

Search for the service manual and you shall find what you seek, young padawan. I'll even give you the file name to make it easy: o2-svc.pdf