Thread: The Best Achievements [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post The Best Achievements [Slashdot]

Like them or not, achievements have become a staple of modern gaming, giving players goals to strive for and a measuring stick with which they can compare themselves to random strangers on the internet. Eurogamer discusses why they've become so popular, and takes a look at some of the most entertaining examples. Quoting: "... we mock Achievement points because they spell out in large numbers what is so pathetic about video games. But we also celebrate them, because, when used in funny, creative or interesting ways, they also spell out what is so compelling and wonderful about video games. Because for every Achievement in which you have to do nothing more than play through a tutorial there's another that subverts convention, rewarding you for skipping it instead. For every fetch quest that has you collecting dogtags for the millionth time, there's another that makes you fight the baddy with your arms tied behind your back. And for every Achievement you earn in jest for pressing the start button, there's another that only rewards the single best player in the world."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder who is the king. Who holds the highest points.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I wonder who is the king. Who holds the highest points.
    According to the Eurogamer article:

With a grand total of 311,673 gamerpoints, Xbox Live User Stallion83 has won more in-game achievements than any other player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The whole article reeks of condescension. A similar attitude manifests itself here at DP from time to time (e-penis, I'm too cool to care, blah blah). So ridiculous.

I've said it here before...I love the concept of achievements. It's even the reason I've bought the 360 version of a game over the PS3 version in some cases.

Achievements can be fun, they can be proof of an specific in-game accomplishment (I beat this game on super hard or I have that many online kills, etc.) or they can be pointless. As long as they're not taking over your entire life, WHO CARES?
    Last edited by heybtbm; 05-15-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I can spell...really.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

I'm going to throw in my vote for achievements being awesome. And in fact I'm obsessed with them and I love it. Stallion83 is my hero, and I'm proud of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best acheivements are the wierd ones where you get 0 points (like in tmnt arcade on xbl where you get one for falling in the manhole too many times)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liken it to a modern day version of a high score. Does anyone know what is one of the toughest achievement to get?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I liken it to a modern day version of a high score. Does anyone know what is one of the toughest achievement to get?
    I would think the "hardest" would be the ones that take 100's of hours to attain.

The most time consuming (that I've heard of) is probably the "Get all achievements" achievement on Tales of Vesperia. It's 0 points. It would take 2-3 full play-throughs to get all the achievements and finally unlock this last one.

The Halo Wars achievement for attaining the online rank of General is up there for length of time. It realistically could take 100's of hours to get enough points online. They just lowered the requirement by 1/3 this week. Still...it will take forever.

There are probably a few more from games I've never played.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know what is one of the toughest achievement to get?
    Definitely those 5 Avatar achievements.

I also like the whole idea of achievements. It's another way Microsoft reinvented gamer cred for the new gen systems. I'll play thru a game more than once just for extra achievements. But I really like getting achievements that are damn near impossible. That way when I look at my friends achievements I won't be able to see any other people who have accomplished what I did.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 05-15-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Toughest achievements by far are some XBLA ones for classic games, like reaching wave 100 on Robotron or finishing Smash TV on 1 credit. The ones mentioned so far are jokes in comparison to real achievements like these that only a handful of people have a shot to ever legitimately achieve them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Toughest achievements by far are some XBLA ones for classic games, like reaching wave 100 on Robotron or finishing Smash TV on 1 credit. The ones mentioned so far are jokes in comparison to real achievements like these that only a handful of people have a shot to ever legitimately achieve them.
    QFT!

Though I don't do achievements I do Trophies and the hardest for me so far was beating Akasha on Insane mode in Unreal Tournament 3, but yeah... beating Smash TV on one credit and reaching 100 on Robotron would be considered a true achievement imo.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I can't believe they have an achievement for FF 11 where you have to level every job in the game. At 14 jobs that's just ridiculous. Talk about a waste of a life.