Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default My Youtube Video series: TheGameCollector

Back in October 2008 I started uploading videos to youtube after seeing people like AVGN, Classic Game Room HD, 2-Bit Gaming and others. It looked like a good idea to me and thought I'd do my videos not based on bashing things or using special effects, but showing it like it is and showing what it's really like to play these things.

I've got videos showing system hardware, and mostly focus on playthroughs of games on real hardware. Some people have been giving me some good ratings on certain videos so I think I should share them here.

I add material quite often.

Here's my video about my 1980s game systems & handhelds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ7b4ga0eWc

My username is Rickstilwell1 there as well, but I called my channel TheGameCollector.

Now watch out. In January a teen started uploading videos under the username TheGameCollector. His videos are quite different from mine as he pretty much just shows what he bought and talks about them rather than playing thru the games on camera. It's very easy to tell the difference between us though, so I just told him go ahead and keep his username as TheGameCollector is a pretty generic name. I used it because it's my PSN screen name.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Suggestion:

Get a capture card for your gameplay videos. That's about all I can suggest, I got one for fairly cheap and it helped my videos quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Suggestion:

Get a capture card for your gameplay videos. That's about all I can suggest, I got one for fairly cheap and it helped my videos quite a bit.
    Why not just emulate? You own the games, anyway, so what's the harm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Impressive collection you have there. I never did get around to acquiring a Vectrix. I know people love it... do you recommend it?

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool collection mate.. thanks for sharing..
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by jacrough View Post
    Why not just emulate? You own the games, anyway, so what's the harm?
    What if he wants to play stuff that's not emulated (properly)? Like PS2, PS3, Dreamcast, Gamecube... and so on?

I use a capture card AND an emulator, but considering how many systems he has, a capture card would be helpful, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Well, I also like to show that I played it without cheating. If I captured it, how would you know I didn't use a Game Genie or save states?

But the other main problem I have is that my computers have weak video cards and probably weak processing power. This makes video editing very troublesome. By simply using the camera I can record my voice and the game at the exact same time, then upload it straight to youtube.

This also causes me to have to do many takes of certain videos as I have no script. I have to make sure I say what I want to say and do it within youtube's 10 minute time limit.

I just recorded videos of my 90s systems and on today so I'll be uploading those tonight most likely.

Some day, I will go ahead and buy a better computer that can actually edit videos though. That will be great because then I can do cool things and make videos that jump from scene to scene. That would be cool to take same games and show them on different platforms to compare their graphics. Or I could do videos showing chronology of game series. Show a few clips from one game while displaying the title and platform, then move on to the next, etc.

I am actually using a VCR to record RPG gameplay though. I plan that when I do get this new computer, I will piece together clips of useful parts and make edited playthrough videos showing only the necessary parts such as getting through dungeons, fighting bosses, getting important items, etc. Maybe my first voyage on the overworld from one place to another. The main thing to cut out is aimless wandering just to fight enemies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Impressive collection you have there. I never did get around to acquiring a Vectrix. I know people love it... do you recommend it?
    Yes the Vectrex is a fun system but so far I only have 2 game cartridges. My Vectrex has problems too. The seller said it was fine before they shipped it, but once it was here it had been magnetized on the way so now the screen is off center and jumpy.

That's the problem with built-in large screens. $80 wasn't too bad though since it came with 2 games that could probably be sold for $30 a piece.