Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Week 8: Gunbarich

Again sorry for the delays today, but this week's game looks to be extremely unique...and promises to be a blast!

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select a game from a list of nominations.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found every Monday stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley.

This week's game is the Psikyo Arkanoid / Pinball hybrid (yeah, you read that right) Gunbarich. Thanks Gapporin for the suggestion.

Again, no KLOV page this week for reference.

Without further ado: ROM sources!

Flack is hosting at http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/

and 2DSkillz has the ROMs at http://www.retrogoggles.com/

Have fun everybody, this game is one I'd never heard of before, but am really liking so far.

Previous MMMC choices: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester
    Last edited by scooterb23; 05-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Aha, I believe I suggested this one in one of the former incarnations of the mame club. Great game! Merges breakout and pinball to some degree. And vertical shooting fans may recognize some of the faces, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Wow, this is a really clever game. It's the sort of thing I wish I had thought of. I bet a casual game reincarnation would do really well these days alongside Peggle and Bejeweled. I usually get bored really quickly with breakout games but the pinball aspect and cutemup style gameplay and graphics really adds to it and makes it hard to stop paying(that and the infinite virtual quarters)

For a new game nomination (going back to old style arcade games) I'll add Intrepid to the mix.
    Last edited by jb143; 05-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so we played it and we rate it :

1stly.. really good concept.. this went right into the puzzle catagory, a good solid unique style game all beit not exactl original. A breakout style clone with a pinball twist.. The graphics was really good.. better than i expected for a game of this style.
    Obviosuly directly froim japan and that style is really evident.
    I wonder how many worlds there are we stopped at 5-2 got a bit sick of the repeditve nature.. but it was fun whilst it lasted.. like summer holiday girlfriend you meet on her last day.. Give her a few quarters and play her till your sick of it.
    I liked how there was some challenge but i would lhave liked to see a little more though in the powerups.. maybe.. make your little pinballflyingship style man get bigger with certain powerups.. more multiball action.. ? who knows how good it could havbe been.

For me I lvoed the bosses, games could take a leaf out of this games thought process.. really good unique Steven King style IT bosses.. scraey in a childish scarey kinda way.

Loved it.. would like to know waht they all looked like.. never know i miht play it non stop and clock it.

SDK says :

Agree with everything above.. got sick of it too quickly tho.. give me final fight or a beatumep scrolling style game next week !
    Bosses were great.... unique spin on an old classic.

We give it 6 spaceship riding pinball flippers out of 10
    D DF F - HP
    HADOKEN!!!!!! .. ?
    Where's the Ka-boom? there was supposed to be an earth shattering KA-Boom?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I'm really liking this game. I haven't found it too difficult yet. Of course, I've only played through the third world so far, but I've only lost a couple lives up to that point in all the games I've played.

I wish I knew what I did in one of my games. I had some kind of ridiculous score going. Like 3-4 times higher than any of my other games. Must have been a wild powerup I didn't know about.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Hello? Anybody there? Kind of quiet this week. Is it the holiday weekend? I hope that's it... I'll go with that, yeah.

OK, since it is Saturday, I thought I'd try to drum up a game pick for next week.

Vor][ex above suggested a side-scrolling beat-em up. I know we kind of burned out on those with the old versions of the club, but we haven't had one yet this time around. So I think that next week will be Beat Em Up week!

Here's where you come in. What Beat Em Up should we play? I know in the past we did the Simpsons, I think the TMNT game, and Vigilante...maybe others. So what should we play next week? Nominate games below (and if you have more to say on Gunbarich, please say more...I think it's a very fun game that needs more love).

Nominations up through around 8-9 PM tomorrow night will be considered.

Also, thinking about shaking things up a bit for a few weeks. We've been exploring the depths of MAME for a while, and found some interesting, odd, and fun games. Several of which never saw the light of day in our local arcades.

I think it'd be fun to go back and look at those games we played in the arcades, that haven't really gotten much love in the home market. Whether it never got a home release, we haven't seen it on a system since the Atari 2600, or a hidden gem on a modern compilation, it's time for some of those games to get the spotlight. So, give those games a thought as we round the curve and head into June.

Thanks everyone for reading my rambling...have a great weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got a chance to fire up Gunbarich today, and overall it was a pretty fun little game for me.

It reminds me of Pong and its descendants of course, the multiple balls flying down that you have to keep track of make it very exciting. On the negative, the art style and screeching voices I find to be atrocious. But this is a personal preference.

Overall, fun game. Turn down the appropriate sound channel(s) with the tab function in Mame and its hours of fun.

Since Beat em Up's are the theme of next week, I submit Sengoku 3 as a possible candidate. I choose this one in particular because it's possible to enjoy it on several levels. It's far more technical than other beat em ups, so those tired of the genre might find some fun in it. However, it's also possible to play this game like any other beat em up and not explore the combos/special/super moves and still have a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrUOiSAf40

I'm hoping we can get some more participation in the thread as well, I like being pleasantly surprised by games I don't know about/haven't heard of.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I'm not 100% sure I can send a 42 Meg e-mail through Yahoo...

Anyone have ideas for something a bit more reasonable in size? Under 10 Megs preferrably...since that's the max I can send
    Last edited by scooterb23; 05-24-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should probably ask the party in question for FTP access. How about the original Sengoku?