Thread: X'Eye CD Problem. Not Pinswitch related.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default X'Eye CD Problem. Not Pinswitch related.

I bought an X'Eye a week ago to replace my Sega CD Mk. II, which I couldn't use because my old Genesis II broke. It had been working fine other than the occasional pinswitch misalignment (I was quite glad to find that the pinswitch wasn't broken), and I was loving the purchase every time I booted it up.

I opened up my X'Eye today in order to clean it out (it was shipped using very messy foam chunks as packing, and they had gotten inside of it), as well as to pull the RF shielding out so I could more easily service the thing if I needed to in the future. I pulled the main board and the daughterboard out, as well as the CD drive and went at the case with some canned air. Upon placing it all back inside the casing, I booted up a copy Ecco the Dolphin to see if everything was working, and now the CD drive won't actually read the discs. The CD drive spins and the laser moves, but its like it isn't doing anything. I spent another hour checking the various cables and connections to make sure everything was working fine as well as cleaning the laser, and still nothing. I don't think the CD drive is bad, because it was working fine before. I know it isn't a pinswitch issue, because it just says "Checking the Disc." I've tried multiple music CDs and a few games, and none of them work.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? Did I just wreck this thing? Under other circumstances, I would probably appreciate the irony (I had remarked while taking it apart that its a good thing that the JVC shares so many parts with the Saturn), but as of now I just want my X'Eye working again.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you removed a piece of shielding, try putting it back.It might be more important than you think.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Surprisingly (to me at least), that did fix it. Thanks.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never actually touched or seen an X'Eye (I'd like one though...), but I figured that shielding metal might actually provide conductivity for something else. Oddly, my Sega CD model 2 seemed to run with the shielding removed, if I remember correctly.

Consoles were designed very differently back then...

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ouch, I'm having the exact same issue but I had to trash the shield out because it was full of rust and since it was one of these soft shields there was no way to clean it up . So basically I'm screwed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure that it would be easy enough to make a new shield for it. Aluminum Flashing is found in the roofing isle of Home Depot, and it is similar to the metal used for rf shielding. It's thin enough to be cut by tinsnips or heavy duty scissors, and then formed to the correct shape by hand. Good Luck!

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rf shield on mine was covered with some plastic film so I guess is not really intended to be conductive rather than isolate something, I don't remember it's actual shape so I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate it