Thread: Todd McFarlane Spawn Autographed Hand Painted Cel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Default Todd McFarlane Spawn Autographed Hand Painted Cel

These are sort of game related because there are spawn video games out there,

i found at a garage sale 3 signed and framed hand painted by todd mcfarlane cels from the movie spawn 3. They are about 8x10 size. They are images of the creature wearing a cape that you see in all spawn related things, i dont know much about it really. They were done by todd himself. I have certificates of authenticity with each of them too.

Does anyone have any idea if these would be worth anything at all?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a time when Todd McFarlane's name was enough to sell anything, but unfortunately those days have long since passed. Nowadays, its fairly easy to pick up signed Todd McFarlane stuff for under $10 (mostly comics). Especially when it comes to Spawn and other Image comics related goods, there isn't much of a market for its ever since the whole boom and subsequent crash of the comic collecting industry.

One thing that has retained its value the most is Spider-Man/Venom related stuff from the early 90's that was drawn and hand signed by Todd McFarlane. Spawn related stuff has really seen a sharp decline....although I'm sure there are some die heard fans who would probably pay $20+ for each signed cel.
    Last edited by Tenjikuronin; 05-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are they actual animation cels, or those printed images on clear sheets used for promotional giveaways?

Animation cels are worth crap these days. I have a few in my trade thread and most get no interest. I've traded off 3 cels for a pittance. I had some Sailor Moon animation cels which I bought for an ex-girlfriend a few years back for about $300, and recently only got rid of them for maybe a $75 value(I traded an artist for commission work). Most of the cels I bought in a bulk lot of DiC studios stuff, not for a lot, but they're already worth maybe 1/4 what I paid.

Why are they so worthless now? No idea. Maybe people are losing interest in animation, if the actual pieces used to create the cartoons aren't in demand. Shy of the people who collect a particular show, most people seem to be throwing them out. They're hard to store as UV(aka sun light) will damage the images over time and they take up room, and you can't roll or fold them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

they are the actual cels i believe.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're best bet selling them would either be on ebay or on Comic Art Fans. I've been colllecting animation cels for over ten years now and have amassed a fairly good sized collection. I too have noticed that cels in general don't seem to be selling for quite the same prices they used to sell for just a few years ago. Cels seem to need to be something particularly special to go for big dollars now. Less then a year ago, I bought 15-20 cels and drawings from The Land Before Time (the first one) and was quite surprised that I only had to pay 12-15 per cel (averaged out at least), when in previous years I had only seen them for sale in the $100+ range. I think it is mostly due to the fact that more and more cels are finding their way out into the open market now; when I bought the TLBT cels the seller had around a hundered for sale which probably helped keep the prices low. BTW, the cels are probably just signed by TMcF, there is almost no way he did any of the original drawings that were used to produce the cels, and even a smaller chance that he did the painting as that stuff was most likely produced by a team of overseas animators. There has been very little handdrawn animation done in the US in the last 15-20 years, and the work has always been done by an animation team no matter where it is produced. Not trying to sound like a jerk, so I hope I'm not comming off as one, just thought you should know.
    The real sad fact is that hand drawn animation is now a thing of the past as all shows are now done completely on computers. Though a few shows might still be hand drawn and then the drawings scanned into a computer, I'm rather certain there are not more than a hand full of them, if any.