Thread: New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

Great to see you too! Glad you liked the video. The screen is really bright, so the gameplay footage came out kind of blurry. It is actually very crisp and easy to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gen Mobile should be in peoples hands shortly, I would suspect as the rumor has it the systems cleared customs. Just some FYI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I think I am going to sell my Nomad and get one of these. Is it rechargeable like any other modern handheld?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it is rechargeable.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Does anyone know where I can get a good review of the unit? Would love to see how things are emulated, compatibility, battery life, etc.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little birdie told me that the compatability is 89%. Battery life is great, but take a look at the back. How are you going to replace the battery if it goes bad or wears out? They are non-replacable. That being said, I think they are an incredible deal and have outstanding battery life.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I pop in to say that I have found the GenCore to be pretty awesome?

It is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It is tiny, but at the same time is pleasantly hefty, which is a surprise. It doesn't feel cheap and empty like other clones. The controllers are a touch small, but perfectly functional, and make for a much better TV playing experience than hooking up the RetroGen.

Speaking of which, the emulation seems to be much better on the GenCore as well. Playing Raiden Trad on the RetroGen, the screen does this weird thing where it will briefly flash some backgrounds before starting up or restarting after you die. The GenCore doesn't do that at all.

I don't have the original Genesis hardware to do side by side comparisons, so I'd be curious to hear other opinions about the quality of the emulation that I can't provide. I'm really super happy with the thing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    Can I pop in to say that I have found the GenCore to be pretty awesome?

It is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It is tiny, but at the same time is pleasantly hefty, which is a surprise. It doesn't feel cheap and empty like other clones. The controllers are a touch small, but perfectly functional, and make for a much better TV playing experience than hooking up the RetroGen.

Speaking of which, the emulation seems to be much better on the GenCore as well. Playing Raiden Trad on the RetroGen, the screen does this weird thing where it will briefly flash some backgrounds before starting up or restarting after you die. The GenCore doesn't do that at all.

I don't have the original Genesis hardware to do side by side comparisons, so I'd be curious to hear other opinions about the quality of the emulation that I can't provide. I'm really super happy with the thing though.
    Wow, that's more generous then I would have been with the system.

I'm sorry I never updated this thread with "Official Hyperkin Information." I got into a wee bit of trouble for releasing too much info and far too soon.

P.S. Some of you retailers should have already heard about a competitor making a SNES portable which does force Hyperkin to rapidly push up the timetable for our own release - so more portables are coming.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    ...SNES portable...
    This is very nice to hear! ^_^

Insert Coin (Level 0) wizardspade80's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    As for the review from OldSkoolFool, I notice how he brings up the compatibility with Street Fighter II for this but then doesn't test it. Getting specials off on this thing are worse that trying it on a stock 3DO pad with Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Anyone who has played knows what I mean. As long as you are plating games that don't need these kinds of movements, it's okay. Well, it does what it needs to at least as I am still not too sure about the feel of the Pocket Change D-Pad.
    That's cause Oldskoolfool from dasreviews.com and dascheap.com (which he honestly makes believe is a "partner" site?? ) is a doooosh (emphasizing on the multiple "o" pronunciation) who never knows what he's talking about. He's just kissing Innex's arse cause he set up shop down the road from them with his DasDoosh site and is heavily pushing Innex's products to con them into financing dascheap.com as a "secret" marketing ploy by Oldskool that positively reviews Innex's Retrobit line and distribution products(Firecore, Retrogen, Hori, etc...) to the gamer community and thereby sharing in the products sales profit from the supposed "objective" positive reviews. He acts independant but is deviously directing (through dasreviews) you towards those products, giving the unknowing inquisitive gamer the shaft

He screwed me back in December with his nonsense on a sale. Buyer beware of dascheap
    Last edited by wizardspade80; 05-12-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, like I have said in the past, I work for a retro gaming magazine and have been able to review both systems. If I were pointing a friend to a console, it would be the GenMobile. The system is better all around. The included games are official Genesis releases. The control set up is 100 times better and the screen is of better quality. The RetroGen is a piece of garbage just on the supposed D-Pad alone. The fact that it is basically a frickin' Nickel on the face of the unit, it makes many Genesis games, especially fighters, completely unplayable. It is supposed to look nice, but it feels like crap, especially when your thumb starts feeling it. The RetroGen is a much better system and more worth the money you will put down on it, period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He screwed me back in December with his nonsense on a sale. Buyer beware of dascheap
    Nothing like resurrecting a thread from 2009 that had been dormant for 6 months to get another dig in at dascheap.

Stay classy wizardspade80
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!