Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Why would they want an infrared port on the front of the console and not have any out-of-the-box functionality for it? Doesn't that just drive up the cost of the machine to manufacture? I'm assuming that they were considering making remote control joysticks, but couldn't they have come up with a better solution than infrared?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Why would they want an infrared port on the front of the console and not have any out-of-the-box functionality for it? Doesn't that just drive up the cost of the machine to manufacture? I'm assuming that they were considering making remote control joysticks, but couldn't they have come up with a better solution than infrared?
    Yeah, it kind of reminds me of that Game Boy Color infra-red port a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    I guess that's the million dollar question. Only someone who's been hands-on with the prototype can answer that. The original news mentioned that the Genesis-on-a-chip was being supplied by Sega themselves(?) Do we know if that is still true, or was ever true?

Based on the rampant trouble getting the Genesis sound to be perfectly emulated on just about any hardware or software, I'm not expecting miracles in that direction. But, I do definitely want to know that just about any cartridge I plug into it will have a good chance of playing without issue (outside of the exotic games like Virtua Racing).
    Depends on what you consider to be SEGA themselves. They have more arms than a centipede. I do not believe AtGames makes their own chips.

Many of you are wishing for a redux Genesis console that will render your current original systems obsolete. That has never been the intention nor would it make financial sense.

Compatibility is hard to test without a full library at my disposal. Once again if any of you are local to Southern California I'd be happy to show up at your house with a six-pack and the prototypes for testing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    There's a particular reason they demanded the system be called Firebox Diamond.

Firebox is a type of cartridge which is available in Asia. Some Firebox games have wireless motion capture controls and a special controller is needed. At this time we don't have plans to offer Firebox in America.

The only alternative I know to wireless infrared is radio frequency which is much more expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Many of you are wishing for a redux Genesis console that will render your current original systems obsolete. That has never been the intention nor would it make financial sense.
    Does that mean that it may never happen? Majesco came really close to 100% compatibility (sans a few games, like Virtua Racing, 32X and Sega CD specs). And the price was really economical.

Does that mean that we may never have a console that is as compatible as the before mentioned version?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Does that mean that it may never happen? Majesco came really close to 100% compatibility (sans a few games, like Virtua Racing, 32X and Sega CD specs). And the price was really economical.

Does that mean that we may never have a console that is as compatible as the before mentioned version?
    Yeah, Majesco did an awesome job with making the Genesis 3, and the fact that they can fit in Japanese carts is even better.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought that the Majesco console used regular Genesis guts but had a slight problem preventing it from playing games like Disney's Gargoyles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Yeah, Majesco did an awesome job with making the Genesis 3, and the fact that they can fit in Japanese carts is even better.
    Yeah. I really loved the Genesis 3.

So if Majesco can do it, it IS possible.

I hope AtGames makes it as good as Majesco's. Because even though it's cool they are making new variations, if the same problem persists with every unit they make, eventually people will loose interest. And that is a serious nono for AtGames.

If AtGames can perfect the hardware (at least to the level the Genesis 3 was), then things would be awesome.

I will wait to see how it ends up. If it's better than previous efforts, I will pick one up. If not, I'll pass until they can get their act together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of compatible systems, a few clone systems did come close. Yobo FC3 Plus has a really high compatibility rate for Genesis games and is the best part about said system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Speaking of compatible systems, a few clone systems did come close. Yobo FC3 Plus has a really high compatibility rate for Genesis games and is the best part about said system.
    Hey, did now know that. Thanks for the info.

This is proof that it IS possible to have great compatibility. So it's no excuse if AtGames cannot deliver something of equal or better quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

Heck if I know, I'd have to ask Sega or AtGames.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the more difficult to emulate games, but my FC3 Plus played any Genesis game I put in it. There were no sound glitches at all except on Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Did not try the games individually though. I hope these new Genesis systems are that good.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

As long as they don't short circuit themselves in the middle of gameplay like my Pioneer LaserActive did while playing Sonic 3D Blast, I would also be happy. The smell of burning electronics is not pleasant. Luckily my Sonic 3D Blast cartridge was uninjured.

Good example of a clone gone wrong...

I still don't know if it was the core system's fault or if it was the Sega Module's fault in this case.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    There's a particular reason they demanded the system be called Firebox Diamond.

Firebox is a type of cartridge which is available in Asia. Some Firebox games have wireless motion capture controls and a special controller is needed. At this time we don't have plans to offer Firebox in America.

The only alternative I know to wireless infrared is radio frequency which is much more expensive.
    Wait, what? Only google reference I could find is a site called Firebox which is an online retailer. No mention of game cartridges. And even so, this is made to play Sega Genesis games, so unless these Firebox cartridges are Genesis compatible, or the system is built with dual compatibility, then it's just deceptive naming.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here with the Firebox searching. A little information on that would be helpful (and I'd enjoy a good read).

I just realized what's going on here, I believe I was mistaken when I first saw this. Sega is licensing the Genesis spec to another company, and is providing the actual processing unit. Essentially, it's a licensed Geniclone/Clonedrive. In a very technical sense, Sega has re-entered the hardware business with a new revision of its most successful system. They've also done what Atari didn't have the balls to do, they're including a cartridge slot.

It's probably wishful thinking, but if there's any kind of widespread distribution of either unit, wouldn't it make sense to sell game carts for them? "Buy the system, then hit the thrift for games" isn't the most attractive marketing slogan. If someone has Genesis games that they want to play, they probably have a Genesis, along with several or most of the titles built into the new unit. If someone doesn't have any Genesis games, they're limited to the 20 pack-ins and whatever they can find second-hand.

Pricing is going to need to be darn competitive here, and I'd hate to see a $50+ tag hurt it. The fact that I can get 49 games on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for $30, which probably includes the 20 pack-ins, is going to be a bit of a hindrance to any high price point on this. Also, for $50, I could get a used Genesis on Ebay along with several games and controllers.

Perhaps most important, however, is video output. LCDs and HDTVs generally don't get along with 240p over composite or coax. Will it upscale to 480i, or have S-Video? Maybe a VGA port on the back? Again, probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Same here with the Firebox searching. A little information on that would be helpful (and I'd enjoy a good read).

I just realized what's going on here, I believe I was mistaken when I first saw this. Sega is licensing the Genesis spec to another company, and is providing the actual processing unit. Essentially, it's a licensed Geniclone/Clonedrive. In a very technical sense, Sega has re-entered the hardware business with a new revision of its most successful system. They've also done what Atari didn't have the balls to do, they're including a cartridge slot.

It's probably wishful thinking, but if there's any kind of widespread distribution of either unit, wouldn't it make sense to sell game carts for them? "Buy the system, then hit the thrift for games" isn't the most attractive marketing slogan. If someone has Genesis games that they want to play, they probably have a Genesis, along with several or most of the titles built into the new unit. If someone doesn't have any Genesis games, they're limited to the 20 pack-ins and whatever they can find second-hand.

Pricing is going to need to be darn competitive here, and I'd hate to see a $50+ tag hurt it. The fact that I can get 49 games on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for $30, which probably includes the 20 pack-ins, is going to be a bit of a hindrance to any high price point on this. Also, for $50, I could get a used Genesis on Ebay along with several games and controllers.

Perhaps most important, however, is video output. LCDs and HDTVs generally don't get along with 240p over composite or coax. Will it upscale to 480i, or have S-Video? Maybe a VGA port on the back? Again, probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice.
    AtGames stuck a composite and mono audio output on their last console. The fact the Retro Duo even has s-video was rather strange. Upscaling? If it even plays carts with proper sound, that would be a miracle.

Sega isn't going to make new game cartridges and I doubt they have old stock leftover to sell. Except for maybe some old unwanted sports titles that might be taking up room, but they'd get more money sending those off for recycling. And they no doubt did that already. This is why they have games built-in.

I'm going to have to wait for reviews on either one. If AtGames puts the Twin Player guts into a new casing then there's going to be no need to buy this.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have a Genesis and Nomad in perfect condition, but I'd definitely be interested if a Game Gear repro was ever done! Especially with AV out.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I have a Genesis and Nomad in perfect condition, but I'd definitely be interested if a Game Gear repro was ever done! Especially with AV out.
    I dont think the Game Gear will ever have a new clone release. The install base is just too small to justify it I think.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be nice to see something like a GameGear console, as in, no screen and uses a Genesis pad. Call it the Retro Duo No-Longer-Portable and add GameBoy Color compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    It might be nice to see something like a GameGear console, as in, no screen and uses a Genesis pad. Call it the Retro Duo No-Longer-Portable and add GameBoy Color compatibility.
    I doubt Nintendo would let a GameBoy clone be made yet. When do the patents run out on The GB and GBC? isnt it 20 years after release?
    DERP