Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Apple get into the console gaming market?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should Apple get into the console gaming market?

I was reading an article today on ign.com about this subject and I think it would be a good idea if Apple does it the right way, meaning...keep the price of the console affordable, make sure it's reliable, have some really kick ass exclusive games ready to go at launch and establish some top tier exclusive franchises, appeal to every genre of gaming, (this means don't just release these shitty shovelware and casual games like Nintendo and almost totally ignore the true gamers who got them to where they are now), make sure it has good online capabilities.

Apple already has a lot going for them now, they own the direct downloading market, they make some of the most innovative products around, they have strong brand recognition, and most importantly they have deep pockets to absorb the initial losses that almost any new console will face at launch. Yes, I think they should release a console if they do it properly!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    keep the price of the console affordable, make sure it's reliable, have some really kick ass exclusive games ready to go at launch and establish some top tier exclusive franchises, appeal to every genre of gaming
    and bring peace to the middle east
    they make some of the most innovative products around
    since when? the ipod, digital distribution, touchscreen handhelds, and all-in-one computers had all been done before apple did. apple is just a master of marketing and fad-appeal design.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Now would be a terrible time to get into the console hardware business. Everybody's already aligned with one machine or the other. The PS3 and the X360 are so similar and have so many cross-platform games that you could almost get away with owning either and not both. If they do release it, it better have something truly novel, like full HD 3D capabilities or an attachment that makes you a drink and gives you a blowjob while you play Metal Gear. Otherwise, I think the scene is too saturated right now. Whenever more than 3 consoles are on the market at once, one or two of have historically done terribly (3DO, Jaguar, TG-16).

I really think it would be a bad move for them. Best to keep selling touch-enabled ripoffs of Monkey Ball and Robotron to college girls, like they're doing now with ipod touch and iphone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uggh.. Apple.

My wife loves her ipod (80 GB, not a touch model) but it keeps screwing up on her. She's had to reinstall peggle a dozen times so far and every time she does, it loses all of her progress. Forget that.

*waits for someone to mention the failure rate of the XB360*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Agree that Apple should not get into hardware. Their Ipod touch is already pretty much a casual game machine. No need to make something else. As it is now, we have 6 main game machines fighting for peoples attention(PS2, Wii, 360, PS3, DS, and PSP). Four have and are doing well(Wii, DS, and 360) nad two are doing okay(PSP and PS3). One more would have to be totally different to make a dent. I see this generation of game consoles sticking around for awhile and agree that anyone getting into the hardware scene right now would be a mistake
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine that if Apple got into the gaming business at this point, the library would be strictly popcap-style casual games, much like the iPod Touch right now. Casual games work okay when you have something that's not really a game system but can play games anyway, but when you're talking about a dedicated game system, they'll need more than that. Wii and DS (and other systems to a lesser extent) have plenty of casual games as it is.

On the other hand, at this point the Apple cult probably has enough followers that they could throw just about anything out there and it would move a decent number of units.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Only if they team up with Sega and make the Dreamcast 2.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

only after sony and ms pull out the market

it could happen, but dont put money on it

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

wel with their track record (pippin) I doubt it would be successful. Now the iphone deal is pretty cool I almost want one as my next portable (forget ds and psp!) for now I'm rocking my new gba micro instead though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since this topic has been done already....

(this means don't just release these shitty shovelware and casual games like Nintendo and almost totally ignore the true gamers who got them to where they are now)
    Did you know......that Nintendo doesn't release every Wii game that is available in stores? Here is a list of all retail games Nintendo has published for Wii, the ones in bold were developed by Nintendo:

Animal Crossing: City Folk
    Battalion Wars 2
    Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
    Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
    Endless Ocean
    Excite Truck
    Excitebots: Trick Racing
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Mario Kart Wii
    Mario Party 8
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Mario Super Sluggers
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Pokemon Battle Revolution
    Punch-Out!!
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Paper Mario
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Wario Land: Shake It!
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Wii Fit
    Wii Music
    Wii Play
    Wii Sports
    Wii Sports Resort

Not many major releases, but there also isn't much "shovelware" there, some games have been done before and don't add many new features (Animal Crossing, DK Barrel Blast, Wario Ware, etc) but they aren't "shovelware". Wii Music and Pokemon are the only ones I would almost agree with as being "shovelware". Wii Fit is a great game, Wii Play came free with remotes, Wii Sports comes free with the system, and Wii Sports Resort will probably come with the Motion Plus.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Only if they team up with Sega and make the Dreamcast 2.
    The Atmark Dreamcast 2.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Just what we need, a gimmick console with throwaway casual games.

Simpsons did it.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No console.

Handheld? Inevitable. They're already doing it without even trying.

Within one year there will be an Apple gaming handheld with a d-pad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the On-Live service really does work, Apple would be wise to licence the technology for the AppleTV. It would immediately turn an already existing device into a very powerful games console. But I can't see them actively going out and making a specific games console.

And anyways, what's with all the Apple hating? @ Windowz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Nintendo may not release all of the shovelware games themselves, but good games on the Wii are far and few between aside from the first party Nintendo games. In my opinion there are 3 types games on the Wii: great 1st party games, dumbed down versions of PS3 and 360 multi platform games, and crap shovelware games from no name developers. The Wii is just a flash in the pan novelty as far as I'm concerned, just look at how shitty it's doing in Japan now. Nintendo makes no effort to broaden it's audience anymore beyond kids and suburban housewives excercising their fat asses on Wii fit! Go for a walk or a run instead, it's free!!

Just as an after thought, I've never seen a company re-hash the same games over and over like Nintendo! I've lost all respect for Nintendo over the last 10+ years!
    Last edited by duffmanth; 05-25-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think Apple won't get into the console market specifically, but they want to get more into games. Look at the facts... they've already got the Apple TV, a Tivo-type device that will sit underneath your HDTV and stream online video from Hulu, Netflix, and the iTunes store. They aren't doing all that much with the Apple TV right now, but it seems like they could be doing more. They've hired Microsoft's Xbox 360 software guru, one of ATI's top people, and they've bought their own chip manufacturers. They could be positioning the Apple TV to be the all-in-one type device for the future. Think of that little box, slightly larger than a Nintendo Wii, that could act as a Tivo, music and HDTV video server, web surfer, and game console with either a Wii-type controller or possibly through a touch screen device like the iPod Touch or iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    since when? the ipod, digital distribution, touchscreen handhelds, and all-in-one computers had all been done before apple did. apple is just a master of marketing and fad-appeal design.
    Apple doesn't invent a lot of the markets they move into. They didn't invent touch screens, MP3 players, all-in-one computers, and digital downloads, but they are intelligent enough to figure out how to take these technologies that have been half-assed and or barely implemented in the marketplace and make them work. MP3 playes had been around for a couple of years before the iPod, but they weren't very good machines, too fidgety to use and difficult to sync. Apple saw there was a place in the Mac market for an MP3 player (since the first iPod was Mac-only until PC people wanted to get in on the act), so they figured out the best way to do it. A click wheel to make music surfing easy to do with one hand, and a smart user interface to help you find your music fast. Then, software to make it sync easily with your computer. Then, make that program download music directly from Apple's own internet store so there's the least amount of struggle to put music on that MP3 player. Apple's great at streamlining technology and making it usable for the common man.

I think Apple could position the Apple TV as a games machine, once they update the hardware specs drastically. It wouldn't be considered a game console, though. It'll be more like a digital convergence set-top box. They could pull it off.
    Last edited by Steve W; 05-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just as an after thought, I've never seen a company re-hash the same games over and over like Nintendo! I've lost all respect for Nintendo over the last 10+ years!
    So you would respect them more if instead they lost tons of money making stuff that didn't sell? I'm sure your esteem would be greatly appreciated by the corporate stakeholders.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd respect them more if they made even the slightest effort to come out with some new and fresh games and expand their audience beyond kids and casual gamers. I think all of the quick profits they're generating now is great and more power to them, but I think all of these quick profits are coming at the expense of truly great games. I mean the last (what I would consider to be a AAA title) that the Wii has was Super Smash Bros., and that was around a year ago. I mean MS and Sony have kick ass exclusives coming out on almost a monthly basis now. This is exactly the reason why Nintendo got the shit kicked out of them the last 2 console generations, and I think the time is coming when people are going to get tired of waiting for AAA Wii games to come out on a regular basis.

I think the lack of quality software on the Wii is really going to hurt Nintendo in the long run, it's already happening in Japan. Even when I go into my local Walmart and Best Buy from time to time, I see piles of Wii's just sitting there and the PS3's and 360's are down to only a few units.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 05-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.