Thread: Want to play unreleased/prototype NES games on hardware?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Want to play unreleased/prototype NES games on hardware?

Get the powerpak from retrousb.com. I'm not one to get excited, but I ordered one of these, and it was WELL worth the 130. To add insult to injury, he put them on sale right after I bought mine! Ah well. I uploaded the entire no-intro nes set onto my card (If you're still doing goodnes, it's time to move on) and spent a good chunk of the last 48 hours playing all kinds of stuff. I've been hacking/exploring/digging through nes games for the better part of 12 years now, but once I had my nes controller in my hand, I felt like I was 10 years old again. Actually, when the box arrived I even got that old bit of excitement I used to get as a kid opening a NES box. Little to my knowledge it does famicom disk system shit too! I've been having a blast, and playing unreleased stuff on actual hardware is the ultimate experience. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I can not sing the praises of this thing enough. I hope there's a snes and megadrive one next!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just bummed out that I bought one from the first batch he made, those are all defective and screw up the sprites. He offered to repair it for free, but so far I've been too lazy to mail it in. It causes some problems when writing NES games too, it doesn't leave the NES memory "clean".

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I'm just bummed out that I bought one from the first batch he made, those are all defective and screw up the sprites. He offered to repair it for free, but so far I've been too lazy to mail it in. It causes some problems when writing NES games too, it doesn't leave the NES memory "clean".
    did you get the USB CopyNES too? I'm curious how it works.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, i'm kind of holding off on that. I guess i don't quite understand what that thing does. I think it was a much better solution before the powerpak came out.

And don't get me wrong, everyone who has a working powerpak says it's awesome. I'm just kind of disapointed i spent $135 on something that doesn't work. But like i said, he offered to repair it for free so i can't complain too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PACHUKA View Post
    did you get the USB CopyNES too? I'm curious how it works.
    I've got the USB CopyNES and I couldn't be happier. Great, easy to use interface, dumped every NES proto I've had without problems. Very easy to split a .NES file into .CHR and .PRG files with the split function. Very handy for repro making, and probably about a billion other things I've yet to use it for. I highly recommend picking one up.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    I've got the USB CopyNES and I couldn't be happier. Great, easy to use interface, dumped every NES proto I've had without problems. Very easy to split a .NES file into .CHR and .PRG files with the split function. Very handy for repro making, and probably about a billion other things I've yet to use it for. I highly recommend picking one up.

Cool, maybe I will. I have to find someone willing to put it all together for me, my soldering hand is weak at best. =\