Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any PS 2 collectors here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any PS 2 collectors here?

I have always been curious if there is anyone who would attempt to get a complete set of PS2 games. I think this is an insurmountable task and have yet seen anyone who succeed or didn't give up in the middle of the way. So I would like to know what are your thoughts on this.

Reason this came up in my mind is because I am collecting Wii games but there are so many games (crappy or good) that are being released, it's getting more and more difficult to keep track of them. I am guessing the Wii library may grow to as large as the PS 2 library. What do you think? Should I keep buying Wii games hoping to complete the set one day or is this impossible to do coz the next gen console won't be out till forever so the Wii library might go upwards of 3000 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    I think this is an insurmountable task and have yet seen anyone who succeed or didn't give up in the middle of the way.
    New PS2 games are still being released so i don't think you will find any collector who has a complete collection... Doesn't mean i'm not trying (i have around 800 games, but i know there are collectors with larger collections...)

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    I am guessing the Wii library may grow to as large as the PS 2 library. What do you think? Should I keep buying Wii games hoping to complete the set one day or is this impossible to do coz the next gen console won't be out till forever so the Wii library might go upwards of 3000 games?
    End of last year there were about 5000 PS2 games released in NTSC-J, about 2800 in PAL and around 2000 in NTSC, so if the Wii library only gets to a size of 3000 games i would say it's much easier than collecting for PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PS2 is pretty doable so long as you stay away from variant collecting. Heck, half the library is already $9.99 and under in the used category. It'd be a hell of an investment and a LOT of shovelware AND sports, but it'd be damn impressive none the less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

I find that I only want about one tenth of games released for a system. That is still a lot of games! I have close to 200 for PS2 (out of 2000 US titles) and I want about 50 of 500 for the 360 so far. I never buy games I don't intend to play, but still consider myself a collector. I have over one tenth for GC and Xbox1. If I were to go for a complete set, it would be one of those. It gets easier when they stop making games for the system you are collecting for. I got my Xbox1 when the 360 came out. I just got my 360 when RE5 came out. So I am usually one generation behind. I won't get a Wii until the next system from Nintendo comes out. Games are always cheaper that way too.

So on a related note, Anyone have a complete Xbox1 or GC game set?
    How many?

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    I find that I only want about one tenth of games released for a system. That is still a lot of games! I have close to 200 for PS2 (out of 2000 US titles) and I want about 50 of 500 for the 360 so far. I never buy games I don't intend to play, but still consider myself a collector. I have over one tenth for GC and Xbox1. If I were to go for a complete set, it would be one of those. It gets easier when they stop making games for the system you are collecting for. I got my Xbox1 when the 360 came out. I just got my 360 when RE5 came out. So I am usually one generation behind. I won't get a Wii until the next system from Nintendo comes out. Games are always cheaper that way too.

So on a related note, Anyone have a complete Xbox1 or GC game set?
    How many?
    You and me kind've have the same philosophy. I purchased a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube for the first time in the past couple of weeks. The games are dirt cheap right now, and I only order ones that are considered good. I also own 25 pre-ps2 systems, and only collect the games that are good. This saves money and time. If I accidently buy a "bad" game I get rid of it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have always been curious if there is anyone who would attempt to get a complete set of PS2 games.
    Just PapaStu, and he's a cotton-headed ninny muggins.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to but being a pal gamer makes getting a complete set near on impossible as are quite a few region only releases, I gave up at the 600+ mark when I also relised that i have anything and everything on the console id actually want to put into my machine.
    zomg I have a sig

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect only for ntsc ps2. I also collect the demos for it, and variants. (I mainly keep track of variants, as I don't have many yet) I have around 1,060 ps2 games, around 15 variants, and missing only around 40 demos.
    My collection has slowed down recently due to a lack of a roommate paying half the bills. But i think its worth the piece of mind.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    You and me kind've have the same philosophy. I purchased a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube for the first time in the past couple of weeks. The games are dirt cheap right now, and I only order ones that are considered good. I also own 25 pre-ps2 systems, and only collect the games that are good. This saves money and time. If I accidently buy a "bad" game I get rid of it.
    I'm with this group. I only collect games that I would play. With the PS2, I have about 130-150 games where there are only a few I won't play after my the first time through and won't sell(Disgaea, La Pucelle, Suikoden 4, Devil Summoner, etc.) Not many, but a few I'll keep and not play.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    I collect only for ntsc ps2. I also collect the demos for it, and variants. (I mainly keep track of variants, as I don't have many yet) I have around 1,060 ps2 games, around 15 variants, and missing only around 40 demos.
    I think collecting a full set of demos for the PS2 would be much harder than the games for the simple lack of a complete demo disc list. New demos will continue to pop up every year on both the PS1 and PS2.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All known demos then. :P Yes, its super hard, some I've never even seen, its almost hard to believe they exist in the first place without a picture, or a reliable person, that you know. There is 5+ ps2 demos with no pictures, and just a little data on them, plus a few like that for ps1 demos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sitting at around 500 and I'm rapidly running out of games that I think I'd be interested in playing, but there's always the chance of finding more goodies out there. Never thought I'd be so into the Kim Possible game, for instance.

fyi - El Tigre is a big pile of shit. Avoid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hush316

I'm with this group. I only collect games that I would play. With the PS2, I have about 130-150 games where there are only a few I won't play after my the first time through and won't sell(Disgaea, La Pucelle, Suikoden 4, Devil Summoner, etc.) Not many, but a few I'll keep and not play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I have about 150 PS2 titles. I see some obscure game for cheap, I pick it up. It is fun to collect for, but for a whole set I would rather scratch my eyes out looking for all the titles.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm collecting, but just releases. No demos or variants. I'll leave that to the other guys.

I have around 550-600, but I've also been comptiplating to sell them and start a PS3 collection, but not sure yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    My collection has slowed down recently due to a lack of a roommate paying half the bills. But i think its worth the piece of mind.
    *jaw drops* man that's a ton of ps2 games to own. I have about 50 right now lol and have trouble finding somewhere to store them.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I’m not even contemplating owning a copy of every single PS2 game ever released, but I do enjoy combing through its library. The exclusives seem to peak my interest the most. When I started collecting for the Xbox in earnest I thought my PS2 library would become dwarfed by it! Eventually I finished the Xbox library at around 890 titles, plus a few imports thrown in for good measure. But PS2 games are STILL being released and my PS2 library has already grown to 960 titles. I even have the Ghostbusters game on pre-order, so God only knows where this thing is going to end up numbers wise.
    I’ve shopped the world over forming my PS2 library and I enjoy both discovering and acquiring a titles that interest me. But it’s still several hundred titles short of my PS1 library and I honestly doubt it will ever catch up to that.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Just PapaStu, and he's a cotton-headed ninny muggins.
    I once thought this and practiced it to a good degree a few years back. Not so much now. It's hart to keep buying PS2 games when I never even play the darn thing anymore. Not to mention the space issue, and the whole liking living thing. Wives (even gaming ones) get grumpy when I try to make the domocile look like a GameStop in every room. I still get some stuff here and there, but its really small potatoes now as compared to what it used to be.

That said, my personal list has 448 PS2 games, plus another 8 variants, 11 online beta discs and 205 different PS2 demo (and trade demo) discs.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 05-30-2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never try for a complete set of games for any systems. I like my video games but I'm not that driven...I'm also not that wealthy. Regarding the PS2, I gave most of my games for it away at one point but have gotten more since then. I think I now have all of 43 games for it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sitting at about 110 and would probably be happy with 150 or so. There are handful of rpgs that I still want, and I don't have any of the platformers like Jak or Ratchet yet. Add to that a few quirky titles like Chulip and I'll be done.