Thread: 10% of Ubisoft's workforce working on games for Xbox 3, Wii 2 and PS4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default 10% of Ubisoft's workforce working on games for Xbox 3, Wii 2 and PS4

Ubisoft Working On Games For "Next Generation Of Systems"

Well, it's always good to be proactive but perhaps this can be placed into the category of "jumping the gun."

According to Ubisoft's recent financial report, summarized by Bloomberg, company founder Yves Guillemot said that "10% of Ubisoft's workforce is working on developing games for the next generation of game systems that will eventually replace [the] Wii, Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3." He went on to say that his company goes after new technologies "faster than everyone else," and reminds us that Ubisoft was one of the first to produce games exclusively for the Wii. Now, he wants the large company to be prepared for the PS4 and Xbox 720 (if that's indeed what those consoles will be called), and clearly, he expects Ubisoft to deliver a few launch titles for each piece of new hardware. At this point, it's difficult to say when any of the new consoles will arrive, but some analysts have said that new systems from either Nintendo or Microsoft may arrive as early as 2011, but it seems that most bank on the PS3 being around for a while. For our part, we seriously doubt we'll see a fourth PlayStation before 2013, but at least Ubisoft will be ready for it when it happens.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5212.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume the other 90% are working on more of those crappy "Imagine" games for the DS.

*rimshot*

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    I assume the other 90% are working on more of those crappy "Imagine" games for the DS.

*rimshot*
    Given that the development budget for those is next to nothing, the franchise has sold 30 million units so far, and Ubisoft's casual sales were up 43% last year, that's probably where I'd have them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's think of some possible Imagine concepts.

Imagine: Diarhea on a Rollercoaster
    Imagine: Wounded in the Desert
    Imagine: Homeless (I would actually buy this)
    Imagine: Spork
    Imagine: Tapeworm

Insert Coin (Level 0) Amnion-Chorion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post

Imagine: One of the poor guys who has to program all of these god-forsaken Imagine games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd imagine they're not actually working on games for the future-gen systems, but working on tools and engines so they'll be ready when the systems are announced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'd buy that.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I'd imagine they're not actually working on games for the future-gen systems, but working on tools and engines so they'll be ready when the systems are announced.
    That sounds about right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have only believed this article if it said they were working on the X-Next and Mii2. Those other names are fake...except the PS4. Sony isn't very creative when it comes to their console names.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The code name for the future gen xbox is "xbox.next". Microsoft stopped being original when it ran out of code names for the Xenon and gave both the CPU and the console itself the same code name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And as hardware gets more complicated, the longer it takes to develop games on it. So now they're developing games for new consoles that haven't even been created yet and haven't really left the drawing board yet into a physical design. That's good spending right there.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    And as hardware gets more complicated, the longer it takes to develop games on it. So now they're developing games for new consoles that haven't even been created yet and haven't really left the drawing board yet into a physical design. That's good spending right there.
    I would imagine a lot of this decision came from Ubi's success during the Wii launch. I don't know what the sales figures were exactly, but I imagine Red Steel and the first Rabbids sold way more than they would otherwise due to the launch window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

....honestly the 360 could live off updates for like ever....but no Microsoft is the king of corrupted companies..."Hey lets work on next gen consoles WHEN THIS CONSOLE HAS 75% FAULTY RATE!" "Good idea heres a promotion"
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now, those would actually be interesting! When I saw the promotional cases for Imagine: Party Babies, I fully understood that they have a group of monkeys writing code, and this series is the stuff that comes before they write Shakespeare. "To be, or not to be" is still about 5000 Imagine games away. Sadly, the above ideas, which would actually be entertaining, are just as far. Monkeys just don't appreciate sporks as much as we do.

At this point, no actual hardware specs are known about the next set of platforms. What we do know, however, is that they only have two directions to go in. This is the last generation of typical game consoles, and that description fits loosely at best, with capabilities such as Netflix, card readers, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and other non-gaming functionality. The two possibilities are completely PC-like, and set-top-box format. I believe that Microsoft, who wants more shooters, MMOs, and RTS on the console, will go for a gaming PC format, allowing it to run Windows Media Center natively and perform other general PC functions in the living room, with a wireless mouse and keyboard in the retail box. Nintendo, however, I strongly feel will design their next console as a set-top-box, much like a cable box, with the spec licensed to manufacturers like Scientific Atlanta, Motorola, etc. This would mean more television-formatted feel, and using cable providers as a distribution channel. These two formats have known development standards, so I'm sure they can get to work on things now with minimal adapting later on.

Sony, however, is definitely going to push the PS3 for a few years more. You spent enough on it, and they've put enough into it. When it's time to move on, they'll make the same mistake again, resulting in the ultimate home-theater box. It'll probably take after a stereo receiver. Since Sony isn't going to learn anything, expect another IBM-commissioned chip that nobody knows how to program for. I'm sure that Ubisoft's PS4 dev team is sitting around trying to cope with an unknown platform, not writing code.

I don't want to hijack the thread and keep going on about console speculation, but this is the only explanation I have right now. It might be time to start an official thread on that matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I remember, I heard somewhere that once a new system is released, they already have a team working on the next system; definitely applies to Nintendo. It doesn't surprise me that ubisoft or any other big name company would be setting aside a small percentage of people right now.

I do believe that Microsofts marketing plan is to get their system out before anyone else. I think the next gen for Microsoft will be out 2010 or 2011.

As for Sony, well in my opinion their system sales haven't been good. I haven't been keeping up with their Game selection but I think the retail price for system killed them this gen. I would say Sony may try to do another another price drop in some way, and maybe release a new handheld first before moving onto the next system.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    ....honestly the 360 could live off updates for like ever....but no Microsoft is the king of corrupted companies..."Hey lets work on next gen consoles WHEN THIS CONSOLE HAS 75% FAULTY RATE!" "Good idea heres a promotion"
    Microsoft has never said anything publicly about their next system, where are you getting this?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft and Blizzard are in talks about the next piece of hardware. They want it to be more MMO and RTS friendly.

The simple solution is to release a controller with a trackball in place of the left thumbstick for RTS, and a trackball in place of the right thumbstick for FPS.