Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default Monster Party

It's one of my favorite NES games, mostly due to its psychotic sense of humor and it being a halway decent platformer. I was just wondering what anyone else here who may have played it thought of it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

worst written game plot ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Monster Party

Not as bad a game as I'd be left to believe; it's got the dubious honor of being included on Encyclopedia-Obscura's "The Horror!" page. I was surprised to see those skeletons chillin' in a pool of blood before each level, even though I'd seen a perfect image before playing.

Quirky game. Beating down bosses with that piddly bat, and simply surviving, is quite a challenge by itself (while the lizard-man powerup is no match for Samus, even at the beginning of her game, it's incredibly relieving to pick this up in Monster Party).

I myself would like to see if I can't get ahold of the Japanese game (at least the ROM, just to see what it looks like in comparison).

Overall, not a terribly good game, but playing it won't hurt you one bit.

Wish I could say the same thing about Sweet Home...good game, *twitch* but it does something to you for a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Monster Party's Japanese release got cancelled. From early magazine screenshots it looks like the Japanese version might have turned out to be quite different.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rented this game when I was younger, and I had quite a bit of fun with it. Someone of the dialogue is quite campy, but I can't help but think that this was done on purpose. The game wreaks of "horror sarcasm". After all there's a boss fight based on fried foods!

The hit detection is a little sketchy, especially with the baseball bat. But some of the boss fights required you to use the bat to reflect enemy shots back. I believe the very first boss you encounter, the giant bubble-shooting flower, had to be beaten this way.

That was pretty innovative. Adventure of Link was doing some reflection-based fighting but not many other examples from that era come to mind.

I think it's a bright spot in the collection of games. It's not perfect by far, but it has personality.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Raccoon Lad - ain't that the truth?

Ed -
    Quirky game. Beating down bosses with that piddly bat, and simply surviving, is quite a challenge by itself (while the lizard-man powerup is no match for Samus, even at the beginning of her game, it's incredibly relieving to pick this up in Monster Party).
    I agree completely. And if you don't know about leaving the dancing zombies alone, you'll be stuck there forever.

Li - very true, and my Japanese contact confirmed it as well. Still, there has to be a prototype Fami version of it out there somewhere...

Needle - I agree about it having personality. I think that's why the game's endeared itself to me over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me in the party -- It's probably Bandai's best US NES release, unless I'm overlooking something major. A little lacking overall, yes, but the bottom line is that you'll never see a crazy game like this get American release again.

Hell, the Japanese didn't even get it. ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Judging from the fact that Encyclopedia Obscura (darn good page, highly underrated, except for all the wrong reasons...) (alt+w) only has a shot of what appears to be the Japanese games's title screen (complete with...Human Head Spider and a rotting skull for a cursor) from a magazine. If there was a ROM, you bet Per would have a proper GIF of the title screen, as well as more in-depth coverage.

(boss spoilers!)

The fried-food boss gave me a lot of trouble early on, but pretty soon I had it figured out. It's actually not terribly hard...you have to lie down flat and stand up just as it's going overhead (if you chase it to the edge of the screen you can score 5 hits easily)

The Wishing Well boss was quite interesting, and it gave me some faith back in my shaky hands. That one requires you to connect with coins as you're about to touch back down on the ground...not too terribly hard as it turns out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Ben - Agreed. After all, I don't count the Namco games bandai released in the U.S. as actual Bandai games...

Ed - I have to go check that site out now. You are right, the Wishing Well was fairly easy to beat, but the fried foods still give me trouble (even using that strategy). It's all in the timing, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While my wife hated the game (yet she owned it!), I insisted that it must be played. So I sat down and played the crap out of it for two days straight.

I really like the quirkiness, the aforementioned fried foods and dancing zombies were a nice touch (and yes I WAS stuck on the Dancing Zombie screen for about 10 mins...). But the final level is nearly impossible. The Dragon saps MOST of your life right away. The witches are too hard to kill and the candles give you little in the way of help. Then, that second boss-thing that looks sorta Hindu is pretty tough. If all that is not bad enough, the FINAL FINAL boss is just plain stupid hard. Why no code for that guy??? I entertain ANY and ALL strategies for beating this ridiculous game!

But somehow, I think overall I like it. Wish you got more than one life....

Anybody else hate level 6??? Grrrrrrrrrrr.... > > >
    SO not the Drama.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Wish I could say the same thing about Sweet Home...good game, *twitch* but it does something to you for a while.
    Reeeaalllly....see, now I'm consumed with the desire to play this game, as I'm curious if a game with such archaic graphics could really frighten me (Alone in the Dark did way back when it was new, and it's been the only game ever to frighten me, really). So I went, and I downloaded the roms, and I IPSed it.....and then I remembered what happened to me last time I tempted fate. "Yeah, I'll go see 'The Ring' in the theater with you. No movie has scared me since poltergeist...and I was eight at the time! ha ha!" And then I basically didn't sleep for a week. I was still edgy even in the daylight. I think if anyone understands what you mean by the fact that it "does something to you for awhile", it's me. The translated rom now sets on my desk top. Taunting me, asking me to tempt fate. I can't decide whether to do it or not.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to dislike Monster Party, though the game has grown on me over the years and I like it now. The only part that irritated me was in a tower level, (Only part of the game that moves vertically, sort of.) was if you killed all 3 bosses, you lost the key and couldn't beat the stage. I was pissed when this first happened and had to get a game over so I could start the stage over.

Otherwise it was decent. Has one of the most memorable endings in an Nes game. I am suprised at some of the stuff that got past Nintendo's censors. They must have been pretty lazy that day.

I couldn't believe when I first heard Monster Party wasn't released in Japan. That proto of the Japanese version would be terrific to play through. Here's hoping someday it does find it's way into the hands of a generous person who dumps it for all to enjoy. Unfortunately Famicom protos aren't easy to get ahold of. And in Japan they are much stricter about dumping, so most collectors would be far too paranoid to let their protos be dumped in fear of being sent to jail or fined. Stinks cause there's probably some cool stuff in Japan that's sadly rotting away in somebody's closet. I want DK Music Education. :(

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Great game. Got it for my birthday one year. Played the crap out of it. Challenging, but hella rewarding.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

What I wouldn't give for a Japanese MP proto...

Ben Reilly - Level 6 sucks. Bad. I'm glad I have directions to get through it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Reeeaalllly....see, now I'm consumed with the desire to play this game, as I'm curious if a game with such archaic graphics could really frighten me
    It didn't frighten me, but it sat on my mind for a while.

I'm the sort of guy who can see pictures of horrendous real-life deaths and not be worried by it...but fiction sometimes has a way of getting to you.

As far as horror goes, Sweet Home isn't that terrible, partly as there are a surplus of potentially freakish things. The combination of music, graphics and story keep it disturbing for long enough, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

The one time I had a chance to play Sweet Home, the ROM was bad. I have yet to dl a good one (with an English translation)...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Monster Party is a fantastic game! Played a ton of it!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The first level seemed to be the hardest. I have no idea how I was able to beat this game though. I think my gaming skillz arent as sharp as they once were