Thread: Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII [Joystiq]

Final Fantasy XIII? That's so yesterday. Despite the announcement of Final Fantasy XIV, XIII still isn't out yet and much of the game is still shrouded in mystery. We were given a very brief demonstration of the title behind closed doors at Square Enix' booth, where we were shown more of the combat system. Specifically: summons. More specifically: Shiva.

The demo -- which, we reiterate, was very short -- was taken from an early part of the game. Motomu Toriyama, who was controlling the demo, took control of Snow in order to show us his partnered summon, Shiva. Each character has a partnered summon and it seems this is story specific, rather than a Final Fantasy VIII style "Junction" system.

Toriyama quickly initiated a battle and explained how the new "assault" combat option automatically selects the most approprate combat option for you. In other words, it's an autopilot for the smaller scale combat situations you're likely to come into contact with while grinding -- and if we know Final Fantasy, there'll be plenty of that.
    Gallery: Final Fantasy XIII (01/09/09)

Continue reading Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII
    Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII originally appeared on Joystiq on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This is my most anticipated game. Final Fantasy XII revived my love for the FF franchise a few years ago. I've been eagerly awaiting FFXIII ever since.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in the 360 version. I wonder if I'll need to upgrade my 20GB drive. I'd like to install it to the HDD if possible.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the art direction in the game, and a return to a more sci-fi fantasy setting. Also the lesbian-esque fusion that Shiva does to turn into a motorcycle is awesome.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The battle system looks good. What I'm not really impressed with is the style they set everything in. While I've only watched the early game videos and what we've seen at E3, it overall really doesn't look that great in comprison to any of the FF games(graphically yes, but the level design and art design, no.)

Obviously the game will look much better once more gameplay footage is released.

I'll most likely be picking this up though. I'll pick it up on the PS3 so I get the one disc version instead of the five disc version.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

VII was my first FF and while X ranks as easily my favourite of the series, XII left me cold. I'm looking forward to XIII though, even though S-E's other ventures (namely Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant) haven't exactly inspired confidence that they aren't 'doing a Sonic Team' (though that is admittedly a little harsh).

XIV has got me utterly bewildered though. Another MMO? Seriously?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'll most likely be picking this up though. I'll pick it up on the PS3 so I get the one disc version instead of the five disc version.
    I'll be getting the PS3 version too. But hopefully the 360 version is packaged better than Lost Odyssey and doesn't feel like the case is going to break when I open it (if they do a collector's edition like FFXII).
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy