Thread: Review: Deal or No Deal (Wii)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Review: Deal or No Deal (Wii)

Let’s make this simple: If you like the Nintendo Wii and you like television’s Deal or No Deal, you’ll love Deal or No Deal for the Nintendo Wii. If (like me) you wonder what people see in the Deal or No Deal television show, you (like me) will probably wonder why anyone would want to play it at home with no possibility of winning real cash.

In all fairness, Deal or No Deal for the Wii plays exactly like the television show. Players (yes, you can use your Mii!) choose one of 26 briefcases, each of which contain an amount of money between one cent and one million dollars. The rest of the game is spent eliminating the other 25 briefcases on whatever order you choose. Throughout the game, the “banker” will stop the action and offer to pay you mathematically-calculated sums of money in order to quit.

Like the television show, the virtual game is hosted by Howie Mandell, appearing here as a slightly odd-looking bobble head. Each briefcase is also accompanied by a virtual model which also resembles a bobble head, proportion-wise. (Each model has a name, although I’m not sure if they correlate with the real models from the show.) The real-world set has been faithfully reproduced here, and the game is presented through enough different camera angles that you get the feeling you are participating in a real television program. (All of the cinematics can, thankfully, be skipped by pressing “A”. Play the game more than once and you’ll be pressing “A” a lot.)

Briefcases are chosen by pointing and clicking on them with the Wiimote, which shouldn’t be that difficult. On my 35″ television the briefcases are bearable but I can see it being challenging on televisions smaller than mine; You also have to click directly on the briefcases; you can’t click on the (much larger) models standing behind them. After each case is opened, the model standing behind it will react appropriately; they’ll cheer when you open a low one and “aww” when you open a high one. The game continues until you open all the briefcases, or accept the banker’s offer, both of which seem kind of moot when you’re not playing for real money. (I checked my Wii’s disc slot afterwards; the game dispenses no cash.)

In addition to normal television rules, the game also allows you to play custom games, which for the most part correspond with the Deal or No Deal television specials (more than one million dollar briefcase, for example). I didn’t think these variations were any more (or any less) exciting than the original, just different.

Deal or No Deal also offers various challenge games where players can “bet it all” or even play as the banker (which I thought was interesting). The disc also contains three mini-games, none of which held my attention for more than two minutes. In “Push Your Luck”, players randomly pick briefcases until they find an empty one, at which point the game ends. In “Sharp Shooter” the briefcases fly around the screen and players must shoot them. “BlackJack” plays just like the traditional card game, substituting briefcases for cards.

Deal or No Deal also has 25 achievements to unlock, if that’s your thing, and also tracks high scores of every game and displays them on a leaderboard which is viewable from almost every single menu.

I’ve always considered Deal or No Deal to be largely a game of chance, and like most slot machines, once the ability to win real cash has been removed, the game loses most of its appeal to me. Fans of the television show who have always wanted to play Deal or No Deal in their living room can now live out their fantasy with this game for the Wii. For anyone else, I’d recommend a rental as I got bored after about fifteen minutes.

(Reposted from review-o-matic.com)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I do like occasionally watching the show. It's funny to me watching people turn down large sums of money because they continue to "know" they have the largest amount. And then letting their "1 more time" lead to them leaving with $1

I never thought a video game of it would be any fun though. For all the same reasons mentioned. When your not playing for anything real except the chance for the game to be over, it looses all appeal.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There's an arcade version that, instead of money, is based on redemption tickets. I've never played it but at least you get "something" for winning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

"Deal or No Deal, I recognised your foul stench of shovelware when I was brought on board"

So much junk on the Wii and DS now. These TV show adaptations and nothing but quick cash ins while the franchise is hot.
    DERP

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has nothing to do with the review (nicely done!), but I played a Deal or No Deal slot machine in Vegas. I admit, it was exciting during the bonus round as you actually played a round of the game. Do you walk with the $50 or do you hold out for the $5,000 payout?
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The arcade redemtion game is pretty fun,and iff you get a lot of people around, can actually get rather exciting. You should have heard the cheers the night I hit the 800 ticket maximum prize. It was pretty epic.

Having said that, this is something I'd rather play on my DS, there it's an awesome time waster when you just need something to kill 10-15 minutes before going to bed or something like that.

My final addition is that I wish they would put in the Secret Vault Games game that was released for PC. It's a set of 15-20 minigames loosely based arond the Deal or No Deal concept. Some are ripoffs of Wheel of Fortune, and Memory style games. But I found this to be a nice change of pace from the regular Deal game. Just stinks that it's only been released on PC so far.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Howie Mandel is a slightly odd looking bobble head so, that must be photo-real level graphics on the Wii. How'd they do that!?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wheel or no Wheel, that's what I wanna know... will we ever get Wheel of Fortune on the Wii? I already promised to buy it for my mom, if they make it
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my girlfriend loves the show and the game, i do not like either. i think if your a fan of the show get the game, if your not a fan there's much here.