Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the cheapest GB game w/battery?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Whats the cheapest GB game w/battery?

I got a Gameboy game today (Kirby's Dreamland 2) and the battery is dead. I've done the old switcheroo before. Just wondering if I should pick up some crap game for like .50 at the swap meet or buy a battery online somewhere. Also I wouldn't want to do it to a nice game. So whats the crappiest Gameboy game with a battery? Or somewhere to buy batteries?

Ps. Do GB, GBC, NES and Snes use the same battery?
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

GB Carts use different batteries than NES and SNES games.

The best option is that you learn to change the batteries yourself or go to any electronic repair workshop to get it changed, but its more expensive.

Too many games aren't worth a battery change in my opinion.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, you should match your topic title with your message. I was going to suggest finding a Pokemon cart and getting a batter, but it may not be considered crappy. I haven't looked for a copy in a while, but I'd guess you can find them cheaply.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a CR2025 battery. Most stores carry them and are only a few bucks. Besides, if you buy a used game there is a very high chance that battery is dead/will be dead shortly. If you know how to use a screwdriver to pry and electrical tape you can do it yourself.

Here is a tutorial (it is for Pokémon Gold, but the process is the same) http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...mon-goldsilve/
    Last edited by yoshi64; 06-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do all GB games use CR2032 batteries? Pokemon Gold may be different because it has that internal clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I also need to do this for Pokemon Yellow. Do I use CR2032 or CR2025?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Is there a way to obtain the metal tab holders?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    I also need to do this for Pokemon Yellow. Do I use CR2032 or CR2025?
    I believe that you can use either one, but if you want to be sure open it up and see what it is. As for the metal tabs, some electronic stores might have them but your best bet would to get one online. However, if you can remove the battery without ruining the tabs they can be used with the new battery if you have electrical tape.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

F1 Race is the cheapest Game Boy game I've ever seen which has a battery. It sells for as low as $2.

I'm assuming this is a similar battery to Kirby's Dreamland 2, but then again I've never cracked open any Game Boy carts.

Either way, F1 Race uses some sort of battery backup to save your best times on various tracks and also your progress in the tournament mode the game offers when you turn the game off.

So if you want a cheap GB game with a battery, your best option is probably F1 Race.

But my question is why bother with a cart that has a battery which is already drained from years of saving time trial scores from 10-15 years ago?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Suggesting that you pry the old battery out with a screwdriver is irresponsible, proper replacement of the battery involves the use of a soldering iron to remove the old battery, tabs and all, and replacing it with a new tabbed cell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi64 View Post
    I believe that you can use either one, but if you want to be sure open it up and see what it is. As for the metal tabs, some electronic stores might have them but your best bet would to get one online. However, if you can remove the battery without ruining the tabs they can be used with the new battery if you have electrical tape.
    Original GB games with battery save, like GBC and GBA games with battery save, use CR2025 batteries. However, since the CR2025 and CR2032 output the same amount of power, I'm pretty sure the only real issue is size -- the 2025 is smaller and thinner, so it fits in the smaller cart better. If you can fit a CR2032 in the cart, it'd make it last longer... but I'm not sure that it would fit.

But yeah, don't use a used battery if you're going to switch it. Use a new one.

(Oh, while all original GB games with saving have batteries, and most GBC games do, a few GBC games and most GBA games with saving use various types of flash memory, not batteries, for saving.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Anyone know where online I could order them? Link please.

Flathead and duct tape...? Sounds like a good time!
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    Anyone know where online I could order them? Link please.
    After factoring in shipping, you are highly unlikely to find a cheaper source than your local dollar store.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I opened it up and looked at the battery to pokemon yellow, its CR1616?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    I opened it up and looked at the battery to pokemon yellow, its CR1616?
    ... You're correct, GBC games definitely do have CR1616 batteries in them, not CR2016. They're just a smaller size battery than the 2016 but still with the same power output, like how the 2016 is the same as a 2032 but smaller.

I wonder, do original GB games also have CR1616's in them and not 2016? I'd guess so, but I can't be sure... I can only confirm GBC(-only) games, because the cases are transparent and the PCBs clearly say 'CR1616' on them, while for the original GB or battery-backed GBA games I'd need a small Gamebit screwdriver to open the cart and check, which I don't have. I've meant to get one for years now, but just haven't gotten around to it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    ... You're correct, GBC games definitely do have CR1616 batteries in them, not CR2016. They're just a smaller size battery than the 2016 but still with the same power output, like how the 2016 is the same as a 2032 but smaller.

I wonder, do original GB games also have CR1616's in them and not 2016? I'd guess so, but I can't be sure... I can only confirm GBC(-only) games, because the cases are transparent and the PCBs clearly say 'CR1616' on them, while for the original GB or battery-backed GBA games I'd need a small Gamebit screwdriver to open the cart and check, which I don't have. I've meant to get one for years now, but just haven't gotten around to it...
    As Pokemon Yellow is not a GBC-only game, the evidence thus far would appear to indicate that original GB games use CR1616.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    As Pokemon Yellow is not a GBC-only game, the evidence thus far would appear to indicate that original GB games use CR1616.
    You'd think so, yes. Yellow is a dual-mode GB/C game though, not a pure original GB title, so I wouldn't be absolutely certain, but it's likely.

On the other hand... here is proof that not all Nintendo handheld games with battery backup used CR1616.

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15464

My GBC games with battery save all use CR1616 -- Bionic Commando Elite Forces, Zelda Ages and Seasons, Xtreme Sports, WarLocked, HOMM, Star Wars Ep.1 Racer. Kirby Tilt & Tumble uses some kind of flash memory for saving.

As that link proves, though, Pokemon Gold/Silver used a CR2025, slightly larger capacity. Does that game have a real-time clock? If so, I'd guess that they put a larger battery in to support the more demanding power needs of the clock, and that would explain it... but it proves that Nintendo used multiple battery sizes.

Oh, as for the GBA, I remember seeing something that showed battery type before, but I can't remember where at the moment... I'll see if I can find anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

OK I thought about it. If I get a new battery the arms are not connected. When you remove a battery from an old game it has the arms attached. At Least when I do it I actually remove the solder which is at the ends of the arms where it connects to the board. So the arms stay with the battery. The first time I did this I did brake the battery from the arms. And it is impossible to reattach. Or I don't know how. I think they are ark plasma welded by a machine from the past of a more advanced civilisation from a different universe. I can't afford one of those. I tried to solder the arms to the battery and the solder really does not stick to the battery. Too smooth or slippery? So if I buy a new battery how would I attach the arms. Duct tape?........ come on.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    OK I thought about it. If I get a new battery the arms are not connected. When you remove a battery from an old game it has the arms attached. At Least when I do it I actually remove the solder which is at the ends of the arms where it connects to the board. So the arms stay with the battery. The first time I did this I did brake the battery from the arms. And it is impossible to reattach. Or I don't know how. I think they are ark plasma welded by a machine from the past of a more advanced civilisation from a different universe. I can't afford one of those. I tried to solder the arms to the battery and the solder really does not stick to the battery. Too smooth or slippery? So if I buy a new battery how would I attach the arms. Duct tape?........ come on.
    You could try roughing it up a bit with sandpaper. Also, for a big surface you'll have to hold the soldering iron in it for a while to get it hot enough. That's probally the real reason it's not taking the solder. Don't do it tooo long though. You don't want to mess up the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    After factoring in shipping, you are highly unlikely to find a cheaper source than your local dollar store.
    You have to be carefull with dollar store batteries though. Sometimes they barely have a charge. Radio Shack should have them but you might as well pay shipping from digikey.com or mouser.com at that point. Does Walmart/Target/KMart have something compatable? If so, that would probally be the best bet.
    Last edited by jb143; 06-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some Game Boy (original & color system) games use CR 1616, some use 2025, it really depends on the title, not by the system. From my experience, 1616 is more common, but certain Pokemon ones like Silver/Gold use 2025 etc. I find the local $1 store here is the best, and usually has a good supply of both types.

I have experimented with changing these batteries for some time now and have changed quite a few (and having them actually save properly too - lol!), just prying the contacts from the old battery with a thin flat blade and using superglue (the gel version) to re-seal after slipping in the new battery. Though it gets a bit tricky because the contacts inside the game have very small pointy "tabs" on them (especially on Pokemon games!!!) which I believe are stamped/pressed into the battery, so be sure to wear gloves / eye protection if attempting to change these batteries yourself.
    And be careful prying the old battery out or you can break the contacts etc.
    Also, be sure to put the new battery in the same position as the old one was, which to most of us would appear to be "upside down"!

Once I have the new battery in place, have applied a very small amount of superglue to both the contact under the battery as well as the contact above, I use LARGE pliers to press the "tabs" well into the new battery again.
    You have to use a fair bit of force with the pliers, otherwise it probably still won't save (I use a small piece of cardboard on the underside of the board to protect it when applying force with the pliers). Then I clamp it down with a smaller C-clamp to let it dry 24 hours. I try to do all these steps while being careful not move the battery's position at all once the superglue is applied - when using the pliers/clamping etc.).

Fun times - and I just hate soldering irons!