Thread: Question about NES Repro carts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about NES Repro carts

Most people will never get their hands on things like Nintendo World Championships, Peek-A-Boo Poker, Flintstones:Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, Myriad 6-1 ext...

Why is it that people who make Repro carts haven't made reproductions of really rare NES titles?

Now, before you start telling me about the Nin World Champ cart on RetroUSB, Yeah I know all about that. But it doesn't look like the original game. Why don't they make one that looks just like the original? In gold?

And I know there's a repro that has the 3 pansien adult nes games. But again, there should be repros that look like the original carts.

Just wondering if anyone has an answer to this. Seems to me like someone who already makes Repro carts could be hauling in the $$$ if they'd make exact repros of rare NES titles.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

People don't make the NES World Champion carts in Gold because if they did, then we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a repro cart and the real thing. People would try to sell a cart they bought for $80 for $15,000 claiming that it's the real game. Same with making the carts in gray. That's why they're a distinguishable transparent blue color.

As for not making repros of rarer games, it's probably because it just wouldn't be worth it. The titles you listed aren't REALLY rare like Nintendo Campus Challenge and Nintendo World Championship are. Why spend $80 on a repro of Flintstones 2 when you can get the real game for $130? It's just not worth it to most collectors. Same with the rest of the games you mentioned.

They really wouldn't be hauling in the $$. Most people who make reproduction games almost NEVER make a large enough profit, if any at all. Reproduction carts are VERY expensive to make.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-07-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

yeah I think the problem with making the carts look like the real thing is they would be used to rip people off now perhaps you could put some text etc on there or something. The recent release hoppin mad comes in a real nes cart (scratches on the back tell me it must be from an old cart) but it was a previously unreleased game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've heard that it's not really the parts but the time/effort is where a lot of the price of repros come from. The people that sell repros usually make a point to NOT have the repro look like the original cart because of scammers. It's already happened at least once that I know of where someone tried to sell a repro as an original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I see people tryin to pass of repro's on ebay quite frequently. I enjoy the new colors that retrousb has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    Most people will never get their hands on things like Nintendo World Championships, Peek-A-Boo Poker, Flintstones:Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, Myriad 6-1 ext...

Why is it that people who make Repro carts haven't made reproductions of really rare NES titles?

Now, before you start telling me about the Nin World Champ cart on RetroUSB, Yeah I know all about that. But it doesn't look like the original game. Why don't they make one that looks just like the original? In gold?

And I know there's a repro that has the 3 pansien adult nes games. But again, there should be repros that look like the original carts.

Just wondering if anyone has an answer to this. Seems to me like someone who already makes Repro carts could be hauling in the $$$ if they'd make exact repros of rare NES titles.

you can find the flinstones If you look hard enough, I almost missed mine when I was looking through the nes games at buybacks

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it would be a really big "f--- you!" to collectors if they started making mere reproductions look like authentic cartridges. It's great that they make them distinguishable, and is probably done so out of respect for collectors. Imagine paying a thousand dollars for an authentic looking, yet nearly valueless, copy of NWC. It just shouldn't happen.

It reminds me of a story someone said on another board where someone inquired about two games they saw at their pawn shop: a 100-in-1 cart, and some cart named Nintendo World Championship. They were in good condition, priced at around $100 each, and... in distinctive clear cartridges. The pawnbroker was indeed trying to pass off obvious fakes as authentic cartridges.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Who really would buy a repro of flintstones 2 just to be able to play it?

If you really wanted those games Im sure one of the folks that make repro's can make it happen. Most will either have somthing on the label or a different colored case to make sure people know it's not the real deal. Most of them do it that way to PROTECT the collecting hobby.