Thread: ps3 bluray freezing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps3 bluray freezing

Someone local has a ps3 for sale. He says in his listing that it needs a bluray laser. I emailed and asked about it and he told me that "Anything blu ray will freeze while playing. Everyhing else works fine."

It's $150.00 for an 80GB PS3 - is this something that can be fixed? Is he right that it needs a new bluray laser?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Aren't PS3 games Blu Ray as well? Ask him if it plays games. Since you're probably looking at the PS3 for a gaming system, 150 is a great deal. I mean you're paying 250 for the Wii which can just play games(can't even watch DVDs or listen to CDs.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, since everything(including movies) make it freeze its most likely localized in the Blu Ray drive. Theres no guarantee that it will fix the problem. You should definitely double check that this problem happens with BR movies as well. If it only happens with games its most likely the GPU overheating which can be fixed with a solder reflow which is a pretty cheap/(somewhat)easy fix itself.

I dont know how hard it is to replace the BR lazer, but it looks really f'n hard I've fixed a gear alignment problem on a PS3 BR drive and it was a bitch, I cant imagine how hard it is to replace the lazer. REplacing the whole BR drive will be much easier and much more costly.

I own 2 PS3s which were "broken" and fixed for less than $150. You can most likely get a better deal on ebay, I have seen YLOD(solder reflow fix) systems go for $80+ shipping before.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 06-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*