Thread: Genesis model 2 help needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Genesis model 2 help needed

I have 3 Genesis model 2 units and all of them give me trouble. I plug in the game and it won't work unless I wiggle, remove, reinsert, etc, etc for a long time. Games are all clean, sometimes several times, but they're definitely clean games. I've tried different model 2 power supplies. I have the proper PSU's they all say MK-2103 and match the units. Some times the licence screen appears then nothing. Sometimes its just a blank screen. If I wiggle the hell out of it, it may work after a frustratingly long time of farting around with it.

No matter what I try 3 model 2 genesis's are giving me fits.

Are these units poorly made? I used to own used genesis in the past and never had a problem with them before. Always worked right out of the gate. Am I having a run of bad luck or is there something else I'm missing here.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Tech & Restoration forum question perhaps?"....The systems power ports connectors are problably broken and aren't doing the proper contact....Take them apart and re-solder them, they are most likely loose....A very common issue in Genises...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    "Tech & Restoration forum question perhaps?"....The systems power ports connectors are problably broken and aren't doing the proper contact....Take them apart and re-solder them, they are most likely loose....A very common issue in Genises...
    Ok thanks. If a mod can move this please. I've never resoldered before though, thats the problem.

Oh and BTW, I do get a blank screen so the units do all get power so would it still be a power issue?
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 06-13-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps a more pertinent question: HOW and WITH WHAT did you clean the games? Is the pin connector inside the console rusted and gross, or is it clean too?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure there's nothing funky inside the pin connector. Easy way to do that is to turn the system upside down and gently slide a credit card back and forth, being careful not to bend any contacts. A mini screwdriver works as well. I usually find hair, crumbs, etc in a used Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Perhaps a more pertinent question: HOW and WITH WHAT did you clean the games? Is the pin connector inside the console rusted and gross, or is it clean too?
    99% Isopropanol and a q-tip. Connectors in the units all look good, nice and clean, no crud falling out that I can see after a vigorous upside down shaking.

Is a credit card wrapped in a slight cloth with a little rubbing alcohol a good way to clean the cart port?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about a cloth, but a paper towel might work.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Moved to Tech and Resto

**shimmy**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I use a cleaning kit to clean the connectors in systems when I get them. I wouldn't use paper towel as that might rip too easily and stay in the connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

A really soft cloth would be good also. Anything as long as its not super abrasive. The connectors will take a lot of crap but not sandpaper or anything of the likes... Thats like cleaning crystal with an SOS pad.

Genesis games, like most cartridges, would be best served with a cotton swab popularly known as a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol on the end.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 06-13-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Send your systems to me. I only charge $30 per system and I'll get your Genesis 2's fixed, no problem. It sounds like the dirty pin connector is the root of the problem. I'll take that thing out of the system and give it a bath in DeoxIT overnight. This will remove all the oxidation for sure. I can solder too so I will fix the loose power port connectors and whatever other problems I find.

Also I'll clean 2 games FREE with every older system repair, so if you sent me all 3 I'd do 6 Genesis games for ya.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GameFix View Post
    Send your systems to me. I only charge $30 per system and I'll get your Genesis 2's fixed, no problem. It sounds like the dirty pin connector is the root of the problem. I'll take that thing out of the system and give it a bath in DeoxIT overnight. This will remove all the oxidation for sure. I can solder too so I will fix the loose power port connectors and whatever other problems I find.

Also I'll clean 2 games FREE with every older system repair, so if you sent me all 3 I'd do 6 Genesis games for ya.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ha ha ha you're cute. I want to pinch your cheek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    BILLY MAYS HERE WITH A NEW VIDEO GAME CLEANER CALLED BLINKbeGONE!!!!

I have to make fun of that guy every time I see him. I swear. Its like OCD or something.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atarileaf, if you want a loose working Genesis 2, send me a PM, I can hook you up with one for a couple dollars plus shipping and PayPal fees.

You charge $30 just to clean a system? I can't even sell a working/cleaned Genesis 2 for $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same problem with my first Genesis 2. It would not read most carts unless I played around with it. I soldered the pins inside the console and it worked like a charm after that. I wish I could be more specific, but that was 2 years ago.

If you don't want to bother with repair, look for used video game stores in the area. Genesis consoles are pretty cheap.
    I have a sig?