Thread: PS3 and USB gamepads - PS button?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Default PS3 and USB gamepads - PS button?

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 soon. Part of the reason I'm interested is because it can use USB gamepads, so I can use my arcade stick via USB adapter, and USB Saturn pad.

There's one thing I'm not quite clear on, though. I know that there's a PS button, and some X-->PS3 adaptors include a specific PS button functionality. Do you need a PS button to navigate the menu or launch the game? Can I play with two players using no official PS3 pads, or do I need at least one controller that includes one?

Bonus question: the adaptor I've been using on my computer is the 3 in 1 PC Joy Box, the black Saturn/PS/DC-->USB adaptor. It works fine on my computer with no lag; has anyone tried this on the PS3?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can use USB controllers without having the PS button, however, you'll be unable to exit once you start a demo, PS3 game, PS2 game, etc. So without a PS3 controller you'll have to turn off the system any time you want to go back to the XMB.

Now the PS3 does come with one PS3 controller. If you don't prefer to use it, then you can always leave the USB controllers plugged in slot 1 and 2 and then when exiting a game you use the PS3 controller to exit the game(I'm guessing so long as all four slots aren't full with USB controllers.) If it doesn't come with a PS3 controller I'd recommend finding a Six Axis controller if you want atleast one PS3 controller(doubt you'll find one but they feel weightless and are easily my favored controller over the heavier Dual Shock 3.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-15-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

That's good to hear, thanks! That doesn't sound too bad, then. I was wondering if I needed a new adapter, but it doesn't sound like I do as long as what I'm using works.

The system I'm getting does come with one controller. Not sure if it's a Sixaxis or a Dual Shock 3, but it's probably a Sixaxis since it's an 80GB PS3 with backwards compatibility - it's almost definitely the controller that came with the system. I'm glad to hear I can use that for the PS button when the other controllers are 1 and 2.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post

Bonus question: the adaptor I've been using on my computer is the 3 in 1 PC Joy Box, the black Saturn/PS/DC-->USB adaptor. It works fine on my computer with no lag; has anyone tried this on the PS3?
    Check this out and any other controller you plan to use before you splurge on a PS3. I have numerous adapters like this...some work, some don't, some kinda work, etc. ymmv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

The PC Joy Box itself isn't a deal-breaker. I'm not that attached to it, aside from the fact that it works well for me. I'm using it for a PS1 Dual-Shock PCB, so there's a lot of alternatives. I'll just by an inPin or other SRK-recommended adapter if this doesn't work. I was hoping to simplify things by finding out ahead of time, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't.