Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Imagine a Twinkie the size of New York. (The GHOSTBUSTERS thread)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Imagine a Twinkie the size of New York. (The GHOSTBUSTERS thread)

I just picked this up on release day, having watched the movie (in a swell theater environment) the night before- and I am seriously impressed by this game. Terminal Reality really kept fans of the movie in mind, and they did it RIGHT. It actually feels like you're a Ghostbuster tagging along with the original characters. Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson did a fine job reprising their original roles, especially Dan and Harold. In the Sedgewick hotel, we were chasing after Slimer and some other ghost who's come along, Ray says something like "I thought we certified this place as clean five years ago!" and Egon comes in over the radio "New people die every day, Ray."

Playing it's rather confusing to me at times, but I think that's because I'm not experienced with these newfangled 3D FPS type things. I have a hard targeting ghosts into the crosshairs, hopefully I'll have that down sooner or later. I'm still getting over "these new games have too many damn buttons" syndrome. But I've somehow managed to avoid crossing the streams so far...

Anyway, if you're a Ghostbusters fan, this is like, the experience we've all been waiting for since 1984. Pick it up!
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 06-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Yeah, it definitely rocks. I am thoroughly impressed! I am almost done with the game, and it's been great! Some of the trophies are really tough to get.

I wonder how the game is selling on each platform? Around here they did not pre-order too many PS3 ones from what I have heard.

I am thinking of also picking up the Bluray. It received good reviews on High Def Digest.

!Just beat the game!
    Last edited by Lucifersam1; 06-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait to get the game home tonight. The fiancee is even psyched about the game.

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

This game came, I saw it, and it kicks some ass.

I find it interesting because it's nostalgic and because it sleeps above my covers... four feet above my covers.

Some critics say the game is bad, but I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"? This game is great! When can I move in? Oh, and you got to try this pole!

I love you Ghostbusters: The Video Game. In fact, I'm gonna take back some of the things I said about you.

You... You've earned it.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Default Ghostbusters!

WHO YA GONNA CALL?

Hey guys, just got done playing a few hours of the new Ghostbusters game on PS3. All I can say is WOW! this game is awesome! It really makes me wish I had surround sound or something louder than TV speakers, because there is alot to hear in the game. The voice acting by the original Ghostbusters is great, the game feels like a movie.

The graphics rock, the gameplay is hard to break away from, I couldnt get up for hours I just had to keep going. On top of all that, there are quite a few cool features and videos too. There is a video of the restoration of Ecto-1 and some interviews. As far as in-game features go, you earn money for capturing ghosts, lose money for doing "too much" damage, and the Multiplayer... Brace with me here... Here is comes!!! IS ACTUALLY FUN!

If you loved the movies as a kid, you owe it to yourself to buy this game, it really is awesome! After playing it, I feel like getting some Hi-C Ecto Cooler and moving on to some Back to the Future for PS3 ( crosses fingers! )

Some Retro Love: In the Headquarters, theres some Arcade cabs and a pinball Machine! 1 of them is Q-bert! Oh and you get a trophy for sliding down the pole called " you gotta try this thing!" lmao.

Edited* spelling error
    Last edited by FxMercenary; 06-16-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Already being discussed on this thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132812

I suggest you move your post over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

So is this thread just going to be entirely comprised of Ghostbusters quotes? Because if that's the plan... I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    So is this thread just going to be entirely comprised of Ghostbusters quotes?
    Yes, it's true...

This thread has no dick.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Both Ghostbusters threads combined for greater stay-puff'd ness.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I saw lots of copies of the PS2 version at Walmart (unsurprising). Any clue how that one fares? It was $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    So is this thread just going to be entirely comprised of Ghostbusters quotes? Because if that's the plan... I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it!
    I don't know about you, but I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!

Okay. Maybe one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    I don't know about you, but I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!

Okay. Maybe one.
    "This Mister Stay-Puft is okay. He's a sailor, he's in New York. We get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!"

I was so hoping that they'd defeat Stay-Puft this way in the game.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up the PS2 version m'self (PS2 collector and it was only $20 to boot). Granted, it's a touch more primitive than the 360 version I saw running on a display, but it kicks much ass, I admit.

The plusses:
    - You're the fifth GB so you're fighting right alongside the original cast. So you're not some faceless newb in a new franchise - you're right there with the guys who kid, cajole, encourage, and act as your teammates. Very cool.
    - The storyline and script for the game was written by Ackroyd and Ramis. It honest-to-God feels like Ghostbusters 3. The dialogue is spot-on; the character's lines are true to form; and the story brings together many minor plot points from GB 1 and 2.
    - If you're a fan of GB 1 and 2, there is a LOT of stuff here that will make you squeal. Ever wanted to thumb through Tobin's Spirit Guide? It's here. The firehouse layout is true to the film, so feel free and wander around. Go to the basement and check out the confiscated painting of Vigo the Carpathian from GB2. Gozer references abound. You'll visit the Sedgewick Hotel and the NY Library. You'll wrassle Slimer, Stay Puft, and the Librarian Ghost. You'll use the proton pack, PKE meter, ghost traps, slime blower, etc. And EPA goon Walter Peck is still a dick.
    - One nice touch: If you read the manual, you'll see a letter from Ray Stantz welcoming you to the team. And it's dated 1991 - just after the envents of GB2. So the game is supposed to be canon for the GB continuity. A nice touch.
    - If you've listened to the soundtrack (not just Ray Parker's song, but the ENTIRE soundtrack) like I did, you'll be pleased to know ALL of the incidental music from the film is used here.
    - Ackroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Potts, Atherson, and Murray (both of them) doing their own character voices? Outstanding. And Ms. Milano as the new female interest? Cool.
    - The controls are tight and using the proton pack to throw a ghost into a trap FEELS just the way I would expect it to. The over-the-shoulder perspective (used to such great effect in RE4) is a great choice here too.

The Minuses:
    - On the PS2 version, the cutscenes are not only a bit grainy, but they have occasional digitization. That shouldn't be happening at all.
    - And since RE4 was able to achieve lifelike human modelling on the PS2, there's no reason why the PS2 and Wii versions had to be downgraded to look like scenes from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
    - Sometimes a character will deliver a line, but the mouth animation won't move. That's kind of ugly.
    - I've had the game hang up on me twice where I needed to reboot and reload my save. At one hangup, the game went by that spot the next time without issue. The other hang-up occured at a cutscene. After it did it again, I just skipped the cutscene and the game went on without incident. But a game disc hanging up when it's brand new? That's a bug or a bad copy.
    - The ghostbusting does get a little repetitive at times. Fight a bunch of minions, move to next room, minions, room, minions. There is a bit of variety and you're also expected to scan the new ones for Egon's research, so that kind of shuffles it about. But yes, repetitive.

In spite of the glitches I've encountered with my version, I can't recommend this game highly enough. I'm only 35% of my way into the game and I've already dealt with Stay Puft and another demigod on his own hometurf. I can not WAIT to see what the remaining 65% of this story holds.

The script for this game would make an excellent movie, in fact.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game so far, as I'm only a few hours in. Some battles are a bit fustrating, for example the possessor ghosts in the museum. Otherwise everything feels right. Also nothing beats that feeling of trapping your first ghost.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm gonna try this game out tomorrow, I've been following it for almost two years.

Remember when it was almost canceled? That would have sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZUUL

I must apologise for that blatant abuse of text commands but I had to. My family, friends and I quote that all the time. No matter where I am, one of my family members or friends says something, someone says back "There is no *insert thing here* and the other person replies "Only Zuul"

All because I say it once and a while. Man. I love Ghostbusters. I am probably going to go out and buy the game. First new game I have bought since 2007.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    I picked up the PS2 version m'self (PS2 collector and it was only $20 to boot). Granted, it's a touch more primitive than the 360 version I saw running on a display, but it kicks much ass, I admit.
    Where did you buy it? Wal-Mart had it for $30 here.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Where did you buy it? Wal-Mart had it for $30 here.
    Gamestop. $20 plus tax brand new. I'm surprised that Walmart's $30 since the Sunday Walmart flyer had it at $19.97.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Gamestop. $20 plus tax brand new. I'm surprised that Walmart's $30 since the Sunday Walmart flyer had it at $19.97.
    This same Wal-Mart STILL had brand new copies of Elite Beat Agents, for $40 about a month ago. (They're gone now.) I bought my nephews a brand new copy for $7 last year while I was in Tennessee on a visit.

The Calexico Wal-Mart rarely puts stuff on clearance, or lowers the price on any electronics, because we're right next to the border with Mexico. Stupid company policy. Anyway, thanks, I'll see if I buy the game sometime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The Minuses:
    - On the PS2 version, the cutscenes are not only a bit grainy, but they have occasional digitization. That shouldn't be happening at all.
    - And since RE4 was able to achieve lifelike human modelling on the PS2, there's no reason why the PS2 and Wii versions had to be downgraded to look like scenes from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
    - Sometimes a character will deliver a line, but the mouth animation won't move. That's kind of ugly.
    - I've had the game hang up on me twice where I needed to reboot and reload my save. At one hangup, the game went by that spot the next time without issue. The other hang-up occured at a cutscene. After it did it again, I just skipped the cutscene and the game went on without incident. But a game disc hanging up when it's brand new? That's a bug or a bad copy.
    - The ghostbusting does get a little repetitive at times. Fight a bunch of minions, move to next room, minions, room, minions. There is a bit of variety and you're also expected to scan the new ones for Egon's research, so that kind of shuffles it about. But yes, repetitive.
    Yeah, it's REALLY glitchy on the PS2 and you don't have a bad copy. Mine had the same problems, returned it, same exact problems in the same exact places again. Do you get odd lines on the screen during the boot up (Columbia screen, etc)? Also it seems to freeze late into the librarian missions, at one particular cutscene.

For $20 though, I can deal with it. If anything it can tide me over until the PS3 / XBox360 version whenever I purchase either of those consoles.