Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't believe this worked... *UPDATE*

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can't believe this worked... *UPDATE*

So, I'm on my 3rd or 4th refurbished Xbox 360 and a few weeks after my total warranty on the Xbox expired my Xbox got the "Open Tray" failure to read disk problem. Now, I'm covered for another 6-8 months from the RROD but that's it.

I've found that banging on the 360 in a certain spot will get it to work pretty easily, usually on the first try. However, getting the console to load the game this way will occasionally put deep circular scratches on the disk. My last copy of Halo 3 became unreadable because of this so I traded in a few games for a used copy of Halo 3 at Game Stop.

Fast forward to tonight, just a week later. The 360 says it can't read the disk when I get it to load... take it out, sure enough: deep circular scratches.

Desperate, I wrap the Xbox in towels thinking maybe it will over heat and force the RROD, which would allow me to send it in for a free refurbished console, yet again.

Then I check online and learn about some trick where you use toothpaste (non-whitening) to get rid of the scratches. I find some toothpaste and give it a go. I look at the disk and I see about a hundred more tiny scratches but you can barely see the deep circular scratches.

Fire up the Xbox... bang on it... it finally loads... IT WORKS!

More information about the technique here...

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96686-...sic-games.html

Though, maybe this is common knowledge?
    Last edited by GOLDEN KEYS; 11-10-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

If it takes a good smack to get the 360 to work properly and it occasionally wrecks disc's... I dont think its wise to continue to use it.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Does it also only hurt when you pee in the mornings?

Seriously man - that's just not normal. Stop abusing the 360 and go abuse someone's return policy or something at least.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    go abuse someone's return policy or something at least.
    The number one activity of modern gamers who have no scruples. Well actually, people who have no scruples or people who buy expensive stuff expecting quality. Quality which doesnt exist anymore.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

obviously, my 360 is on it's last legs but i'm just trying to get a little more life out of it before i fork over $200 for a new one and a new warranty.

i don't put any other discs in there besides halo 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN KEYS View Post
    obviously, my 360 is on it's last legs but i'm just trying to get a little more life out of it before i fork over $200 for a new one and a new warranty.

i don't put any other discs in there besides halo 3.
    Wouldnt it be better to fork out 200 dollars now instead of 200+ dollars which includes another Halo 3 games later?
    DERP

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Wouldnt it be better to fork out 200 dollars now instead of 200+ dollars which includes another Halo 3 games later?
    Well put. Also, just go and get the new 360. They have become more reliable and it seems that getting previously failed models just isn't working for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Well put. Also, just go and get the new 360. They have become more reliable and it seems that getting previously failed models just isn't working for you.
    Im scared. I have an 06 model which I barely play. I should just leave it on sometime for many, many hours.

By the time I play it seriously, it will RROD.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

getting another copy of halo 3 is pretty much unavoidable at this point... unless, of course, my toothpaste copy manages to hold up for the remainder of it's lifetime, which i'm not counting on. i guess i could have one of them restored at game stop or something?

playing halo and using the 360 isn't a huge priority for me... i'll get to it somewhere down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can promise you that i won't be getting another copy until i have a new 360... i'll be utilizing the toothpaste method until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

playing halo and using the 360 isn't a huge priority for me... i'll get to it somewhere down the line.
    If you are willing to come on here and discuss it, smack up your 360, buy more than one Halo 3 and use the classic toothpaste manuever on a wrecked game disc to make it play, it sure sounds like its a priority.
    DERP

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

i guess i could have one of them restored at game stop or something?
    All depends on how deep it is. My copy of Bioshock was ringed in three places, After several resurfaces, it still shows the marks. I've played the game fully though several times since the incident. It should be alright. Mine used to be a rental copy. Imagine how many times IT was resurfaced.

If you are willing to come on here and discuss it, smack up your 360, buy more than one Halo 3 and use the classic toothpaste manuever on a wrecked game disc to make it play, it sure sounds like its a priority.
    Snap, Wolf. Snap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok? that was unnecessary, let's keep it friendly on here.

i meant, as far as purchasing a 360, my funds for gaming typically go towards classic games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

ok? that was unnecessary, let's keep it friendly on here.
    Take it as a friendly jab. If it wasnt friendly I think it would have involved some more.. extreme language.

The simplest solution right now would be to stop playing XBOX 360. If it is that broken, look for consumer returns alternatives and if there are none, play classic games until you can replace the thing.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Seriously man - that's just not normal. Stop abusing the 360 and go abuse someone's return policy or something at least.
    Wow. First, Nintendo abuse and now this. My, gaming has a history of console violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

As far as I recall publishers will replace scratched disks for a nominal charge if you mail it in to them (and it's a big title) - or was it Microsoft? At launch there were a ton of complaints about eaten discs and big circular scratches.

There are services almost everywhere that'll swap out the drive for you, and the replacement is usually pretty cheap. Sounds like it's just your drive giving you grief. Either that or suck it up and spring for a new one - I've had to buy 2 extras myself

Re: Return policy, I've had a Future Shop employee send me home to get my console when I was chatting with him telling him about my dead 360, and he swapped one out for me on the spot. Granted I'd bought a lot of computer stuff there off him that week (like 4 laptops for a client) so there might have been something fishy but I wasn't one to complain.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are services almost everywhere that'll swap out the drive for you, and the replacement is usually pretty cheap. Sounds like it's just your drive giving you grief. Either that or suck it up and spring for a new one - I've had to buy 2 extras myself

Wow... haha, i don't think this post was ever about "OMG MY XBOX BROKE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!! CAN I BUY ANOTHER ONE????? IS THAT ALLOWED???? CAN IT BE FIXED???? DO THEY DO THINGS LIKE THAT????? OMFG I'M SO LOST!!!!!"

Obviously, we've established that I have the option of buying another 360. In fact, I think I already said I planned on doing this a few times in this thread already. Aren't we kind of beating a dead horse, here? And, do I really want to put money into repairing this refurbished Xbox that has been recirculated who knows how many times by Microsoft?

Anyway, to get things back on topic (were they ever?)...

What is everyone elses experience with using toothpaste on games?
    Last edited by GOLDEN KEYS; 11-10-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the Springsteen album 'The Rising' soon after it was released. Only a couple of weeks later I accidently dropped a screwdriver, point down, on the disc and scratched it badly enough that one track wouldn't play.

I read online that the disc could be buffed out using toothpaste. I was skeptical, but figured it was worth a try before spending $18 on a replacement.

The toothpaste worked perfectly, with similar results to yours (lots of small scratches, but perfectly functional).

Since then, I've polished countless DVDs my 4 year-old checks out from the library, and the fix works almost every time. (If you ever want to see just how bad DVDs can get, look at the surface of a DVD from the public library. It's scarier than any horror flick you'll ever see!)
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    I bought the Springsteen album 'The Rising' soon after it was released. Only a couple of weeks later I accidently dropped a screwdriver, point down, on the disc and scratched it badly enough that one track wouldn't play.

I read online that the disc could be buffed out using toothpaste. I was skeptical, but figured it was worth a try before spending $18 on a replacement.

The toothpaste worked perfectly, with similar results to yours (lots of small scratches, but perfectly functional).

Since then, I've polished countless DVDs my 4 year-old checks out from the library, and the fix works almost every time. (If you ever want to see just how bad DVDs can get, look at the surface of a DVD from the public library. It's scarier than any horror flick you'll ever see!)
    Nice!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could always just you, know, fix the drive. You just need a new laser, they sell them on ebay, for under $20.